Page 1 of 2
I thought I'd ask the Pit because most people here won't know Latin and so be unbiased.
This is a queston that my ClasSoc have been discussing in our meetings- should/could Latin be used and promoted as a spoken European alternative to English, which is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn?

It would provide a language with set simple rules for grammar and a uniform pronounciation.

Anyone care to offer some opinions?
no. The europeans have to know english becuase we americans are mostly too lazy to learn another language. I'm honestly trying to learn to speak german in my class though.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
ok guys, lets be mature here. shes a troll. we just ignore her and eventually she will go away. if no one posts in this thread, it will just die. so dont post anything, for the love of god. every fassa thread should not be 100 posts of fassa hate. thats exactly what she wants. the more attention you pay her, the more she wins.

so please,

/thread.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Zugunruhe at Feb 3, 2009,
There are already 500 million–1.8 billion people who speak English as either a first or second language.

Latin is only common in academic fields and in the Vatican.

Changing from English to Latin would require many millions more to learn a new language than is necessary.

Edit: Why does everyone hate her?
Tu es insanus! Ha no, I actually enjoy Latin, but I don't think that would be very practical.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Nah, I think that Latin should just be left amongst the texts steeped in history and the scholars.

Now Spanish, yeah . . . we should go with Spanish.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
No. I personally believe that language is a huge contributing factor to each nations culture and it would be obscene to attempt to shut the fuck up.
Quote by heaven's gate
Shut the fuck up.

+ motherfucking 1
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by loginer
it would be hard to put everyone in europe/ the world to learn latin
idk...

Don't know about Europe but in the UK Latin is getting more popular as a taught class, and the internet means that even schools without Latin teachers can teach it.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I thought I'd ask the Pit because most people here won't know Latin and so be unbiased.
This is a queston that my ClasSoc have been discussing in our meetings- should/could Latin be used and promoted as a spoken European alternative to English, which is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn?

It would provide a language with set simple rules for grammar and a uniform pronounciation.

Anyone care to offer some opinions?

there IS a reason why it's a DEAD language

now please stop making threads, they always induce fights
Quote by scottroweso
Tu es insana! Ha no, I actually enjoy Latin, but I don't think that would be very practical.

Fixed....I'm a girl
ha mea culpa
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Why latin? I see the benefits of a universal language, but why not a language that is already widely in use?

Something like Spanish that is spoken in Europe, North America, and South America would make much more sense. Also I believe, however I am not certain, that French and Spanish are also very similar, so it would be logical to assume that some one who speaks French could easily learn to speak Spanish.

To choose the best language to attempt to implement as a primary language for the world, you would need to consider factors like: how many people speak the language, and how easy/difficult it is to learn in regards to someones first language.

You could assign numerical values for population, general difficulty, and similar languages. You could add the three and get what would be in theory the best global language.

also: why a troll?
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
I liked ancient Greek better than Latin. Unfortunately, my school didn't offer Greek 3 or 4 so he recommended I take Latin. I still enjoy it though.

To answer your question, I think we do just fine. No need to have Europe and America learn Latin.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Ever heard of Nova Roma?

Ever heard of not giving expression to every little thought that comes into your head.
Quote by TurboJaw
I liked ancient Greek better than Latin. Unfortunately, my school didn't offer Greek 3 or 4 so he recommended I take Latin. I still enjoy it though.

To answer your question, I think we do just fine. No need to have Europe and America learn Latin.

Greek is VERY hard...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Greek is VERY hard...

I have only had Latin for 6 months, but so far I yearn for my days of learning Greek. It just stuck with me. I found it quite easy for the most part.
Quote by TurboJaw
I have only had Latin for 6 months, but so far I yearn for my days of learning Greek. It just stuck with me. I found it quite easy for the most part.

Either way you're awesome for learning Latin/Greek.
mea culpa= my fault/ my bad I guess if you wanted to be really technical you could throw in the est... Arma virumque cano, Troiae qui primus ab oris Italiam fato profugus lavinaque venit litora.
我们因该学中文因为中国是第一。

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact you're studying it at university and want to get a bit of attention by being able to show off, would it? In answer to your question. No, I think it's a stupid idea and a pointless thread. Please stop growing up in public.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Brilliant...
It is much more difficult to learn to English. Rules were set to discourage peasants from learning it; only those with money could afford to learn to write it. These have become increasingly complex, to the point that it is inviable/inefficient to use it as a spoken language. Also, what point would this serve?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
pfft, everyone should speak Esperanto
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by Xiaoxi
我们因该学中文因为中国是第一。

I'll assume you are saying that chinese, or something along those lines would be better, which I would agree with, but in reality, I don't really think there is a need.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Draken
To be fair we should all start learning the Chinese.

你是对的。

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
有一次討論與您在這條螺紋是堅硬的,如果沒人可能瞭解我們是什麼您文字.....或…能?

FUCK traditional Chinese. and FUCK you for using some stupid Taiwan/Hong Kong oriented translator.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Draken
ping pong ling tong ling tong tiddle ai po.

Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Page 1 of 2