Hey all.

So I just started a new job today, and I'll soon be running somewhere between 5 and 8 pedals, which I'd like to wire through one power supply, instead of burning batteries like I am now, or having 15 things plugged into a powerbar.

So, I'm just wondering, how much difference will I hear between something like a one spot vs. a Pedal Power 2? I'm not really concerned that the Pedal Power (or similar product, but I've definitely heard it to be the best) is sorta pricey, cause I have no other expenses, just guitars. Price isn't really an issue.

The question is, what kind of difference will I notice? Is it really that much quieter? Because if so, I think that's what I'd like to do, but if its REALLY SUPER minor I wont bother. I just don't want to add a bunch of noise to my chain, cause my setup is pretty quiet right now.

Thoughts and opinions?

I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
From what I've read, batteries are the cleanest of power sources, so their most constant, followed by direct plugs, then the daisy chain is last, but unless your recording, the daisy chain will be fine, especially for practice and at gigs, where its loud any way, so get the chain sounds most convenient to me.
id go with the pedal power personally. isolated outputs seem like the way to go. you should get less interaction between pedals, probably less noise, and if one pedal shorts then the rest will still be fine. the one spot is great as a daisy chain, but if you can afford to go for isolated outs, why not?
Think of it this way - if there's one thing you're going to cheap out on for your pedalboard, it better not be your power supply.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Go with the PedalPower2, it's way better than the One Spot IMO. It has significantly less noise and if you choose to add pedals to your board with different polarities needed for power supplies, the isolated inputs allow you to use just the PedalPower for all of your pedals instead of multiple units.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks for your advice guys. I've kind of been leaning to the pedal power unit, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not buying into some hype, and that it'll actually make some sort of noticeable difference.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I have a One Spot thing and it sucks.

Got a Voodoo power block thing and no more loops, hiss, noise.
I use a One Spot, it didn't add any noise to my rig.

If you can afford the Pedal Power though, I'd go with that. Isolated outs are handy, and you get the 18v power option.
I've got a 1700 milliamp Godlyke Power-All adaptor with a daisy chain connected to 5 pedals. There is also a Digitech RP350 on the board plugged into the same surge protector. The Godlyke is absolutely silent and only cost $25. It came with a bunch of adaptors and the daisy chain too.

I can unplug the pedal board from the amp and there is no difference in "ambient noise" out of the amp whatsoever. I'm sure a Pedal Power 2 or other expensive power source provides cleaner power, and discrete leads have to be better than a chain. But I personally wouldn't see any advantage out of it. If anything it would take up more space on the board. The Godlyke is just a tiny transformer that plugs into the surge protector on my board, and it basically takes up no space at all.

I'm guessing it's more important to use high end power sources for large boards with lots of cabling, or for more power hungry pedals.