Page 1 of 2
Well I just started giging with my band...and we've done 5 gigs so far, but we still screw up quite a bit...is this normal after 5 gigs?
I mean we practise enough but we still get super nervous on stage, and i sweat buckets.

so ....how many times did you and your band gig until you stop screwing up for the most part
We were pretty much spot on the first time. Except the singer... he was a bad choice. But the actual musicians were just about perfect.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by Gargantuan
Messing up like how?
Missing a note or a chord?
Timing?

like messing up on solos, a bit on timing...
voice breaks due to nervousness etc.
just mistakes one would have when nervous or inexperienced
Personally, as a band we've never ****ed up hardcore to where the crowd is like OMFG they just screwed that up so bad. But on a personal level, just practice a great deal, I've never screwed up really really bad, but occasionally I'll do something a little off like hitting a fret bar and making a really sour note or something.
Quote by Antimage27
Well I just started giging with my band...and we've done 5 gigs so far, but we still screw up quite a bit...is this normal after 5 gigs?
I mean we practise enough but we still get super nervous on stage, and i sweat buckets.

so ....how many times did you and your band gig until you stop screwing up for the most part

Evidently, you don't.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
my current band?
once or twice.

we usually make mistakes when playing new songs live the first time.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Evidently, you don't.

I think its just being nervous screwed me up...not because i didnt practise enough
dude bands screw up live more than you think. its not that big a deal. but still getting cleaner does make you sound more professional
You'd be surprised how little the audience perceives. As long as you keep going and don't make a big deal out of your mistakes, most of the time the crowd won't even know you made a mistake.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
You'd be surprised how little the audience perceives. As long as you keep going and don't make a big deal out of your mistakes, most of the time the crowd won't even know you made a mistake.

+1
Everytime i ****up my band mates blame the **** out of me as if its the end of the world...
our lead guitarist is in LA at the moment so I have to play lead and rythm and sing (im lead singer/ 2nd guitar)...so its hard for me
About 3 months. We're starting to mess up now because every time we get something right at practice after weeks of work, our music teacher which we consider our music producer always has some idea to change something after weeks of practicing to get it perfect.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

we hadn't messed up any gig
we performed for few people, maybe that's why we don't get nervous

if you get nervous, close your eyes, stop seeing at the audience or think that it is just another rehearsal or that no one is seeing you
ummm never. we **** up all the time. Look at how much nirvana played and toured and then watch some of their live videos. Kurt steps on his own cord and unplugs his **** among other things. Type in manyard ****s up or messes up or something in youtube. He misses a note and gets pissed. it's common to make mistakes live. haha LOOK AT DRAGONFORCE
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
I tend to be extremly relaxed on stage even in my first ever gig (probley 2 years ago now) I wasn't overly nervous, just remember even super-experienced bands **** up occasionally! you know bands that have played together for years still screw up & I'm pretty sure that it's not due to nerves! it just happens! I played a gig 2-3weeks ago & totally forgot where I was up to during a song! but if you stay cool you can usually get back into it without to many people noticing!

Oh & just as proof that big names still **** up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItMcGX39usU&feature=related
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Even professional, signed, international bands have one goal per show: don't screw up. Give the absolute best performance possible. Every band makes mistakes, big and small. Your band will start to get solid after enough shows, but don't expect to just stop "F-ing up." Now obviously big F ups are things that can be avoided by preparation and practice, but there are a lot of things that can only be fixed by experience.

So bottom line, just keep playing shows. Don't get hung up on mistakes. They'll clear up soon enough. The less the mistakes affect your enjoyment of the show, the less it will affect that of the audience's.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Feb 3, 2009,
Never. There's always going to be a few slip ups, but the trick is to make them not noticeable. Somehow incorporate them into what you're doing.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
we still make mistakes, but we stopped screwing up a lot after about 5 or 6 gigs. as far as the nervous thing, just keep gigging and playing in front of people whenever you can. after about 4 gigs, i stopped getting nervous and it was more fun. just remember this. The people watching you usually arent going to be as good of a musician as you, and they wish they could be you. So just go up there and have fun, and after you become a solid player, add some stage presence and release ur nervousness through that.
all the time. we messed up pretty bad our second time. we were doing bob marleys "one love" was a disaster. Me and our guitarist switched for that song cuz he wanted to play the bassline.

we failed hard, but thankfully our guest singer saved us
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I drummed in a band for three years and we never stopped ****ing up. That's half the fun! You remember the gigs where you sounded great, but the best memories are when a cymbal stand breaks, or that russian distortion pedal the bassist bought on Ebay explodes, or the guitarist goes for a power strum and accidentally turns off his guitar and you still manage to get through the song.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I mostly work with people with a good bit of prior gigging experience, and everyone screws up live no matter how experienced they are.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by loudog93
dude bands screw up live more than you think. its not that big a deal. but still getting cleaner does make you sound more professional

Yeah, even professional 'big' bands **** up a fair bit, I saw Bloc Party play a while ago, and the lead guitarist (who has been playing for longer than I have been alive) ****ed up a couple of times. It didn't really matter though, cause the vibe was so awesome.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I mostly work with people with a good bit of prior gigging experience, and everyone screws up live no matter how experienced they are.

Im just curious as to WHY people screw up no matter how long they've been playing.
I mean after a while people dont really get nervous because they gig SOOO much...but why do people still screw up
Quote by Antimage27
Im just curious as to WHY people screw up no matter how long they've been playing.
I mean after a while people dont really get nervous because they gig SOOO much...but why do people still screw up

cuz their only human
Never had a big mishap. Worst was one of the drummers symbols tipped over, I just rang a chord out and picked it up for him.

i think our singer forgot the words on our cover of for whom the bell tolls for one line..

that's about it... in about 25-30 gigs or so.
My Band - Validus - Our Myspace
---
-Carvin DC400/DC200/DC727/CM140
-Ibanez JEM
-Gibson Exp. Gothic
-Custom V (Inc.)
---
-Splawn Nitro
-Carvin x100b
-Marshall JCM2k
-Meteora M.A.K. 3k
---
-Engl PRO 4x12
-Marshall 4x12/2x12
-Carvin 4x12
The 2nd gig my band did was the tightest gig we ever had. Everything was clicking. It was epic. The first was okay...but we had an amp issue with my amp. And our 3rd was a little sloppy, due to yet another issue.

But God, was the 2nd one epic.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by Antimage27

It's just in the nature of performance, shit happens.

Last.fm
My first gig I was thrashing arround too much, having a good time, and I accidently unplugged my bass.

Twice. xD
I just ran over, fixed it, gave the crowd a wink and a you betcha in the mic since it was electoral season and all and continued playing. If you screw up big, just dont make a big deal out of it.
Is this what you want?
about 2 gigs.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I dont have an cool gig stories (yet) but I my favorite local band played a show one time and Im good friends with all of them besides the bass player and drummer and I was talking to the singer after they came off stage (they are a metal band btw). He goes you know the fourth song we played I didnt even write any lyrics for that I just screamed along with the rhythm and in key. And the funny thing is that it sounded like he had written lyrics for it previously.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by guitar-godfrey
well evn if your shredding guitar no one knows how your song goes so they cant really tell if you f up unless you stop and say ahh ****. so just keep playing, thats how i see it

well that is true unless theyve seen your band before
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by guitar-godfrey
well evn if your shredding guitar no one knows how your song goes so they cant really tell if you f up unless you stop and say ahh ****. so just keep playing, thats how i see it

yep, that's what the pros do, just keep going, even if you screw up bad it's usually ok as far as the audience goes as long as you keep going.

Last.fm
look........the thing is

the biggest bands in the world **** up alllll the time

but the difference between you and them is...

that they can hide them soooo well that no one notices.........

dont pull a angry face when you stuff up,
dont look at the other band member when either one of you stuffs up,
keep a smile on your face.... and make out like NOTHING happened at all

no one will notce what happened..........it not like they leave and on the way home go.....**** did you hear when he missed that bend????!!!!!!!!

think of it this way.........if you do your final maths exam...and get 99% youd be ****in over the moon!......(but still like damnnn 99!!!)

but if you play a show and say hit 99 out of the hundred notes for example you only remember the one note that you ****ed up!......not all the other ones that you didnt!!!!!!!

so just go out there and have some fun!!!!!
Page 1 of 2