So first of all, I'm 17. Ever since I can remember, academics have been easy and my strong point was always class discussion. I could recall any fact or point the teacher said without ever looking over notes. Fast forward to now, and I'm having a bit of difficulty. Initially, I thought it was just because math was never my strong point and calculus is generally a hard class. But, I'm now in anatomy, and it's the same teacher I took another class with (2 years ago) and unlike before I have to review things numerous times before tests and quizzes. I'm finding this to be the case in most of my classes now, and I'm beginning to worry a bit. And what's worse is that this scenario is spilling over into life... I'm not as good at recalling things people have said in everyday conversation, I can't remember things without leaving notes to myself, and most of all spelling... I used to be so very good at spelling and I now stumble over words that I always spelled with ease before... etc. Is this a sign of some kind of mental deterioration? Is it something that's common? I just find myself wondering if 17 is a bit young for a mind to become dull...? Can someone please help me out? This has been eating away at me... the thought that I'm losing my mind at 17 is unbelievably scary... what could happen by the time I'm 30?? Am I just overreacting?
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Losing your mind is not an excuse for that wall of text.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Does your basement ever flood? Cause I may be able to explain things.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
If you can't take the 1 minute or less to read it, don't reply. It's quite simple.
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Quote by Shortbuschld
If you can't take the 1 minute or less to read it, don't reply. It's quite simple.

But I'm an asshole, what else am i supposed to do
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
i felt that way a while back and I'm perfectly fine now. You're just overreacting.
Sail upon the open skies
1. your classes are simply getting harder
2. the fact that you now have to review notes has caused you to trick yourself into thinking there's something wrong with you, causing you to think you're getting worse at remembering everyday things, when you really aren't.
Quote by \m/_Chair_\m/
Does your basement ever flood? Cause I may be able to explain things.

Mine has, and some times i forget things... elaborate.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by XyphR
do you do drugs by any chance?

Nope I don't. I wish I could say that was the case, at least I would have an excuse for my mind slowing.
school is just a big joke
are you experiencing the same problem outside school?
Quote by Shortbuschld
So first of all, I'm 17. Ever since I can remember, academics have been easy and my strong point was always class discussion. I could recall any fact or point the teacher said without ever looking over notes. Fast forward to now, and I'm having a bit of difficulty. Initially, I thought it was just because math was never my strong point and calculus is generally a hard class. But, I'm now in anatomy, and it's the same teacher I took another class with (2 years ago) and unlike before I have to review things numerous times before tests and quizzes. I'm finding this to be the case in most of my classes now, and I'm beginning to worry a bit. And what's worse is that this scenario is spilling over into life... I'm not as good at recalling things people have said in everyday conversation, I can't remember things without leaving notes to myself, and most of all spelling... I used to be so very good at spelling and I now stumble over words that I always spelled with ease before... etc. Is this a sign of some kind of mental deterioration? Is it something that's common? I just find myself wondering if 17 is a bit young for a mind to become dull...? Can someone please help me out? This has been eating away at me... the thought that I'm losing my mind at 17 is unbelievably scary... what could happen by the time I'm 30?? Am I just overreacting?

I wouldn't say you are losing your mind, that gives the impression of having a serious mental illness. Maybe you are losing your memory. It's a natural thing that happens to everyone, I know myself that my ability to take in information and remember it is decreasing. Could be a lot of factors, anxiety? depression? or you're being distracted by something new in your life?

Now, ways to help this. I'd practice memory tricks. If your memory means so much that you're worried, you should google information on new ways to remember information. For example, in your mind picture a large house, every room has objects in it (A chair, a TV, etc) attach the things you wish to remember to these objects. Then when you need to remember them again, shut your eyes and 'walk into' the house. The more obvious ideas are exchanging words for images/colours/smells. Something that is easier to mentally interact with.

I'm the sad sort of person who enjoys this aspect of life. Any questions, PM me dude
Quote by Micehorns
I wouldn't say you are losing your mind, that gives the impression of having a serious mental illness. Maybe you are losing your memory. It's a natural thing that happens to everyone, I know myself that my ability to take in information and remember it is decreasing. Could be a lot of factors, anxiety? depression? or you're being distracted by something new in your life?

Now, ways to help this. I'd practice memory tricks. If your memory means so much that you're worried, you should google information on new ways to remember information. For example, in your mind picture a large house, every room has objects in it (A chair, a TV, etc) attach the things you wish to remember to these objects. Then when you need to remember them again, shut your eyes and 'walk into' the house. The more obvious ideas are exchanging words for images/colours/smells. Something that is easier to mentally interact with.

I'm the sad sort of person who enjoys this aspect of life. Any questions, PM me dude

Lol... that's not sad. It is interesting stuff. I've considered the idea of my boyfriend distracting me, but it simply doesn't add up. We've been together 4.5 years and this didn't start until maybe mid-freshman year and I'm in the middle of my junior year. Depression... I started a new medication for depression somewhat recently... could be a factor? Anxiety... don't think so. I've actually calmed down quite a bit with the difficulty I've been having. Simply because I've learned I can only do so much when I'm having a hard time with stuff. I guess maybe I'll talk to my psychiatrist about my meds. I take Lexapro.
chillax. it's not a big thing to worry about.

but i know what you mean, sometimes i find myself asking the same questions that you are asking yourself.

one thing i noticed when reading over old stories i wrote in middle school and stuff was the grammatical and spelling errors and have come to the following conclusions:
a) high school is naturally more stressful than middle school since grades actually start to matter so we start to pay far more attention to detail
b) Stress ultimately results in paranoia, so most of it's in your head. Make sure you take a break every now and then, get ample sleep.
c) Work and study habits change over time, like 3 years ago, i was a workaholic when it came to school, now i find it hard to even get 3/4s of my homework done on some nights. I think a lot of it has to do with adolescence as well as retaining your old good habits you have.
Quote by Shortbuschld
I guess maybe I'll talk to my psychiatrist about my meds. I take Lexapro.

SSRIs (the medication you're on) can cause a lot of mental confusion and difficulty in remembering things. When people say it makes them feel like a zombie, it's not a cliche or a lie, sadly it's the truth. I'd talk with your doctor/therapist about this. You have to remember that medication is there to help you, not cause more problems.

EDIT : And worrying about losing your memory/mind is probably worse than it actually happening! So don't get too worried about it. If it's causing a problem, there is always an answer to it.
Last edited by Micehorns at Feb 3, 2009,