Poll: is metal dying?
Poll Options
View poll results: is metal dying?
yes
7 16%
no
36 84%
Voters: 43.
I've come to realization that good quality music is scarce nowadays.
tell me, do you think its disappearing?
..and bullet for my valentine, trivium, bring me the horizon, suicide silence, and many others aren't real metal.
R.I.P DIMEBAG.
Musical genres don't die.

There is good metal being made all the time. You just have to look through the generic mass-produced bollocks in order to find the good stuff. Just like every form of media ever.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by McMetal
Nope. If anything its getting more popular

That usually means it's dying.

EDIT: It's been basically proven that a lot of popularity and metal don't go together, in the mid-90's Death Metal was getting popular and that's when all the really big Death Metal bands (Save Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel) started going downhill.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Last edited by MetalMessiah665 at Feb 3, 2009,
no, that's idiotic. the fact that there are a ton of bad bands has nothing to do with 'dying'. if anything, i suppose it could be stagnation, but that's a far cry from dying. in addition, since when were the majority of the bands in metal good? every time period has primarily bad bands, most new metal heads just view the eighties (and sometimes the nineties) through rose colored lenses because time has sorted out the good stuff for us.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by metalmagic!
I've come to realization that good quality music is scarce nowadays.
tell me, do you think its disappearing?
..and bullet for my valentine, trivium, bring me the horizon, suicide silence, and many others aren't real metal.

define real metal, seriously so sick of people jumping on bandwagons, trivium and bullet sound fine to me, very metally, not my cup of tea but **** it.
Trivium is metal now. I can't believe people won't accept it yet. Damn elitist fools.

They distanced themselves from the -core genre with 'The Crusade', going with a trashier sound and lyrical content. Then, they took a large step towards death/technical/groove[believe it or not] metal.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
you're right, they're metal. they're also ****. goodbye now.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by The Evil Hat
no, that's idiotic. the fact that there are a ton of bad bands has nothing to do with 'dying'. if anything, i suppose it could be stagnation, but that's a far cry from dying. in addition, since when were the majority of the bands in metal good? every time period has primarily bad bands, most new metal heads just view the eighties (and sometimes the nineties) through rose colored lenses because time has sorted out the good stuff for us.

That has to be the most intelligent post ever posted in the metal forum EVER.
Quote by stephen_rettie
define real metal, seriously so sick of people jumping on bandwagons, trivium and bullet sound fine to me, very metally, not my cup of tea but **** it.

People have said this before, you can't define real metal, you can feel it if you've been listening to metal for a while.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by The Evil Hat
you're right, they're metal. they're also ****. goodbye now.

Good one. They aren't **** though.

Try listening instead of jumping on a band wagon and you'll realize that they're very fun to listen to AND they have deep lyrical content.
Quote by RPGoof
Quote by thedarkest5432

Try listening instead of jumping on a band wagon and you'll realize that they're very fun to listen to AND they have deep lyrical content.

JESUS FUKK!!! It's an opinion! Yes, an opinion, that thing you morons use as an argument against people who yell at you when you start a Trivium thread here.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Okay, you know what?
I'm sorry. You're entitled to your opinion. I just don't like people knocking one of my fave bands(along with In Flames, Megadeth, Metallica, Sanctity[just to give some background)
That's all. And, I'm not a moron.
Anyways, I don't think metal is dying at all. It's only beginning.
Quote by RPGoof
Last edited by thedarkest5432 at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by The Evil Hat

Artistically, stagnation is death. The cancer kills you long before your body catches up to the realization.
Last edited by Fritigern at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by Fritigern
Artistically, stagnation is death. The cancer kills you long before your body catches up to the realization.

stagnation LEADS TO death. stagnation IS NOT death. they're different. and stagnation can be recovered from. death, obviously, cannot.

As to the person who said my post was awesome ,thanks. i'm probably going to sig you, i just don't feel like it atm.
Metal is a cancerous cell. It isn't dying simply mutating constantly and sometimes very rapidly to the point where people can't keep up with it and therefore you have your elitists.
stagnation LEADS TO death. stagnation IS NOT death. they're different. and stagnation can be recovered from. death, obviously, cannot.

The effect is the same. Lots of genres are dead past recovery, but still producing bands. They've been stagnant so long that forward motion can never overcome inertia.

Hardcore is dead. Traditional heavy metal is dead. Bluegrass is dead. Their fans will tell you otherwise, but their fans are full of it.
Quote by Fritigern
The effect is the same. Lots of genres are dead past recovery, but still producing bands. They've been stagnant so long that forward motion can never overcome inertia.

Hardcore is dead. Traditional heavy metal is dead. Bluegrass is dead. Their fans will tell you otherwise, but their fans are full of it.

First of all, i hardly think that you can make such sweeping generalizations, especially when you're basically going 'they say i'm wrong, but they're idiots.' secondly, and more importantly, stagnation, if unchecked, does lead to death. there, you're right. however, it's possible to recover from stagnation. metal had several periods where it had some degree of stagnation, the later thrash period, for instance, but a new idea was eventually brought forth and the period of stagnation ended. Besides, i have yet to see anything to convince me that this is a period of stagnation at all.
i believe metal is still going very strong. although it is changing in many ways as time goes on.

but never the less still living.. some of the only good music left with talented musicians unlike all this pop punk **** where any simpleton can play.. sorry of subject but had to get it out haha

and trivium's def metal. and bullets newer stuff is more along the lines metal than older stuff
Quote by Mc-Dap
i believe metal is still going very strong. although it is changing in many ways as time goes on.

but never the less still living.. some of the only good music left with talented musicians unlike all this pop punk **** where any simpleton can play.. sorry of subject but had to get it out haha

and trivium's def metal. and bullets newer stuff is more along the lines metal than older stuff

well, here's a post that's not seen often. clearly, Mc-Dap has just thrown off the corporate blinders and realized that everything is a lie, perpetuated by a sinister conspiracy that's headed by Britney Spears, the faceless corporations, and Jesus Christ. congratulations, you've now realized the truth. metal is the only musical genre where musicians have any skill, seeing as it and pop punk are the only two genres and all pop punk is the same garbage. you are now ennighted!
Quote by Brian Bucket
Music doesnt die if your still listening to it. If anything its un-dead.

This post is true. Metal is un-dead.

/thread
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
metal is the only musical genre where musicians have any skill

and classical, jazz, or any other instrumental based music
Quote by thedarkest5432

Yes look how deep this lyrical content is.

"Melting skin even in the deluge
The mast is broken, hull is splitting
Dear god the fucking ship is sinking"
Last edited by GBcommander at Feb 3, 2009,
If it's dying, I hope it gets....

EATEN BACK TO LIFE!

*crickets*

This thread is now about bad metal puns.
Quote by rush4life
If it's dying, I hope it gets....

EATEN BACK TO LIFE!

*crickets*

This thread is now about bad metal puns.

*cough*

You could even venture to say that metal was....

*cough*

Butchered at Birth

*cough*
I've found Jesus