Hi, I know i posted this before, but it was a while back and I guess I can't find the post anymore =\. Anyways, Chinese/Vietnamese New Years just passed and I got myself quite a few hundred dollars, and was hoping to spend it on a guitar. My budget would be at MOST $800.

Styles: I play everything, but more modern stuff. Like once in a while I'll play some red hot chili peppers, but most of the time, i'll play some modern acoustic stuff like (secondhand serenade, daphne loves derby, the scene aesthetic, chase coy, etc.) So I came upon this guitar, Takamine is a good brand as my uncle has said to me.

I know I'll probably get flamed for listening to this "pop" kind of music, but I like the tone of the guitar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dfmjSB7IcPg&feature=PlayList&p=3A5131738CA578D9&playnext=1&index=6

So a tone thats similar to that.

So would this guitar be perfect for my styles and budget?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-EG523SC-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-516302-i1148960.gc

Or should i save up a little more.

Thanks a lot ahhaa
Last edited by DannyRL at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by DannyRL
I know I'll probably get flamed for listening to this "pop" kind of music...

Never be ashamed.

As for guitars, look into anything with a dreadnought body style with spruce top. That will give you that general sound. Blueridge guitars make some fine models. Takamine isn't a bad choice either.
I saw that particular model of Takamine in a local store and it had ridiculously high action. The salesman told me it was supposed to be that way...

I wouldn't order it from the internet, I'd buy in person (just a heads up).
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Bushinarin
I saw that particular model of Takamine in a local store and it had ridiculously high action. The salesman told me it was supposed to be that way...

what do you mean by high action?
It means the strings sit high in relation to the fret board.....ie there is a big gap between the strings and the fret board so it and harder to form chords. When you have a low action the strings sit closer to the fret board, so there is less distance to push them down and the guitar is generally easier to play.
Action is the distance of the strings from the fretboard. Higher action means the strings are higher and further away from the fret board, thus harder to play. Low action means the strings are close to the fretboard and easier to play, though if you go too low you get fret buzz. There's also apparently some differences in tone that I can't figure out, but other people claim they're different.
superman is killing himself tonight
You should look for a dreadnought. They have a good pop/punk acoustic sound.

Good brands in medium price range are takamine washburn cort and blueridge.
Just play on some dreadnoughts and then you'll find that you like a particular brand more than another one. I have a Washburn dreadnought wich is good for acoustic pop.
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
|....The BEER TRUCK.... ||||'""|""°\_,__
|___Just for You___l||__|__|___|) _____|
|(@)(@)""""""""""""**|(@)(@)****|(@)|
Something even someone with little experience can do is choose the sound they like.

Have the sales person play for you the same lick on all the guitars you are considering. You'll very quickly start to eliminate what you don't like.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Quote by Bushinarin

Maybe it was built specifically for slide guitar, which requires high action?
and i stumbled upon these two.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-210e-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104307186-i1148409.gc

and

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-110ce-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-514494-i1323884.gc

is there any other difference besides the cutaway? because if that is a good guitar, i'd probably go with the one with the cutaway.

and this would be a much better choice than the one i chose before right?

-thanks
the martin dx1rgt i think it called i used to own before i got my gibson it played pretty sweet
Quote by DannyRL
and i stumbled upon these two.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-210e-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104307186-i1148409.gc

and

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-110ce-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-514494-i1323884.gc

is there any other difference besides the cutaway? because if that is a good guitar, i'd probably go with the one with the cutaway.

and this would be a much better choice than the one i chose before right?

-thanks

Yeah, I don't think there is a difference between those besides one of them has a cutaway
Quote by nick54321
Yeah, I don't think there is a difference between those besides one of them has a cutaway

Yeah there is, it's a different model and the 210 has rosewood

also jumbo guitars are very good jazz guitars. a dreadnaught shape is what you probably want to look at.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Last edited by about at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by DannyRL

i'd like to narrow my choices down before going to the store.

DON'T.

Keep all options open, at all price points. Ignore brand names, focus on the feel and sound of an instrument.

Go to the guitar store, ask the assistant to let you play ALL guitars in your price range. You can compare the sound and feel of each, and decide what is best for you depending on your taste. Limiting your options can, and often does lead to poor purchases. Quite often you will be surprised by a guitar that you have never heard of before.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
hm thanks a lot. will do.

but the reason why i said that was because like i often go to like guitar center (only music store around here) and then theres usually like a whole rack of guitars. and then like all the employees nag on you telling all these bs lies to get you to buy what they want.

so i'm just like asking ug's opinions to see what they think is good, so i can lean towards something
Of the two Taylors, the ebony fretboard model has the edge, for me. But if you need the cutaway, the other is a fine guitar. Certainly try them both and whatever else is there.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Bushinarin

He was wrong. Along with being known for having a great balance in price and quality, and having great stock electronics, Takamine guitars are also known for ridiculously low action. That one probably had some neck issues.

TS, Seagull is another good chioce. I try not to play guitars that cost more than $500 because of my whole not having money problem, but I know that Seagulls are solid all the way around and have great tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Lurcher
Of the two Taylors, the ebony fretboard model has the edge, for me. But if you need the cutaway, the other is a fine guitar. Certainly try them both and whatever else is there.

so the 210 is better soundwise?
Quote by DannyRL
Thanks for the idea!

But I'm kind of leaned towards the two Dreadnoughts that I posted up there. But I just don't know which one to choose.

I jsut got the 210e and i amazing OMG
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Personally, I would avoid the Taylors you've mentioned. My friend has a 214ce and it sounds like a toy. He payed $900 CAD for it. It's not even made of all solid wood either.

Having said that though, if you like it after trying it out then go for it. The key is to try it out for a long time before you buy.

Never go into a store with only one guitar in mind. Keep your options open.

I would suggest the Epiphone Masterbilt series guitars. All solid wood. Bone saddle + nut. Sounds beautiful as well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
I would suggest the Epiphone Masterbilt series guitars. All solid wood. Bone saddle + nut. Sounds beautiful as well.

I would as well. They're nice guitars for the price.
and before i leave this thread,

do you guys have any thoughts on the Taylor Grand Auditoriums?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-200-Series-214CE-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104495429-i1323887.gc

&

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-114ce-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104657713-i1323885.gc

Comparing the dreadnoughts i posted earlier to these, which one would be better?

thanks
hmm i don't know why the grand aud's are more expensive. they should have a less "bright" sound then the dreadnoughts
hmm well. i'm goign to try them out in about two hours. thanks for everything guys.

so my budget i guess, increased up to $1000 ahaha.

so i'm looking at the taylors 213ce grand auditorium and 210ce dreadnought

Now I will have to admit to only owning a $150 Yamaha F335, but while at my guitar center I was trying out one of the seagull S6 and it sounds beautiful. I've also heard a lot of great stuff from it from a lot of people. Its one of the best "Bang for your buck" guitars that seem to get brought up a lot over at The Acoustic Guitar Forum (And those people have a lot of expensive acoustics.)

Edit: Your old thread is here.... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1046527
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Feb 17, 2009,
anybody have opions on guitars that are like....electric shape but have the hollow inside

like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Series--72-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar-510474-i1146394.gc
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
Quote by captivate
Personally, I would avoid the Taylors you've mentioned. My friend has a 214ce and it sounds like a toy. He payed $900 CAD for it. It's not even made of all solid wood either.

Having said that though, if you like it after trying it out then go for it. The key is to try it out for a long time before you buy.

Never go into a store with only one guitar in mind. Keep your options open.

You're a bastard and i hate you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 210e, it sounded better than the marin's, breedloves, tak's and seagulls in the price range....

I can't describe the sound, but i LOVE the bass, and it came with a HARD SHELL CASE!!!

There are 2 distinct differences between the 210 series and the 110 series

that is, the wood they are made of... and the fact the 110 was made in mexico, the 210 was made in the u.s.

What really sold it for me was the included case, and i was able to get tax off, which saved me a wopping $67!!!

the 110 series didn't come with a case...

but i don't know if it's the sound you want...

I know paramore uses them...

They are punkish... i searched for a video on youtube but my internet is going slow tonight....

definitely check them out and compare them to other guitars like tak's, alvarez, etc.