Hey all.
I'm currently in a pop/punk kinda band, but I really have the urge to start/join a really alternative band, a punk band, and a Metal band. Hell, sometimes I even feel like playing ska.
I'm all over the place.
What are yall's past experiences with being in several bands at a time? I'm sure the in the long run it doesn't hurt, but it seems like you couldn't devote yourself to more then one.

Discuss?
Or you could just play a different genre with one of your bands?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Well if you want to go "serious" with one band, I doubt jumping around from band to band is a great idea.
LARGE TEXT
Pick the band you like the most and base all of your focus on that band, quit the others (unless they are your friends, you can always jam with them)...

MC name = Bearrorism
Meh, when just starting out I think its pretty normal to join more than one band. Especially for different instruments or types of music. Most of the people I've been in bands with have been in more than one at once. Me, I've always been in a jazz band and whatever rock band I was playing with at the time.
have you ever listened to some kinds of punk such as NOFX, Anti-Flag, Against Me! ... ect...

they all have characteristics of punk, metal, ska, and alternative....

don't get caught up in genres... just play some music
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I'd say don't join more than two bands. Even one band can be time-consuming, but if you think you can handle two, go for it. Just be prepared to have double the practices, double the work on writing, etc.
Well,you can definitely do Alternative with your Pop-Punk band dude,but don't join multiple bands,it really drains you,and stalls the creative process for everyone involved. But,as an elitist, I must say,you shouldn't do Metal,ever,or ever put anything metal in any of your "Sounds". The only thing you should cross pollinate metal with,is more metal. Or a color. (Black Metal) or a race of people (Viking Metal),but everything else ,is off limits.

And only punks should play punk music,and if you were a punk,you wouldn't be on UG with all us metalhead assholes.
I've been in like 5 bands at one time, however only two of them actually gigged frequently, and one was pretty much purely a studio deal.

You may run into massive issues should one of the bands decide to tour though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well I think you'll always favor one band over the other...And if you come up with a cool riff, you gotta decide which band u wanna work on it with. Generally you'd bring it to the band you favor so yeah...
I tried the multiple band thing. Doesn't really bode too well, unless you're a professional. It's easier to pick the one you like best, or your most serious one, and stick it out with them. You'll find you put a lot more, and better ideas with them.
haha tell you the truth im much more punk then metal.
And yeah I mean the band I'm in is getting regular shows now and winning local botbs, so id definitely stay focused on that one.
Its just that sometimes i get the urge to play some NOFX style **** or like some steel train or strokes.
And im POSITIVE my band mates wont go for that.
I think I just need a jam band on the side for funsies.
Yeah i said funsies.
Well,you can definitely do Alternative with your Pop-Punk band dude,but don't join multiple bands,it really drains you,and stalls the creative process for everyone involved. But,as an elitist, I must say,you shouldn't do Metal,ever,or ever put anything metal in any of your "Sounds". The only thing you should cross pollinate metal with,is more metal. Or a color. (Black Metal) or a race of people (Viking Metal),but everything else ,is off limits.

And only punks should play punk music,and if you were a punk,you wouldn't be on UG with all us metalhead assholes.