My new Fender Frontman is just awesome, with a good distortion pedal running through the clean channel, I get crunchy, punchy, awesome quality sound. It is what I need for practices with my band, just jamming with friends, and gigs. Problem is, it is loud as hell with the volume just at 2. My parents are pissing and moaning about it and I'm sick of it. Any lower than 2 and I can hardly hear my sound. Any higher, my house shakes. Anyways, I need to be able to get that quality sound when I am just practicing by myself. I was thinking some sort of volume pedal, but I'm not sure. Anyone???
Last edited by RisingFreedom09 at Feb 3, 2009,
Use the distortion pedal's level (volume, not gain) to guide the amp's volume, solid state amps tend to be really quiet at lower levels, but jump up to outrageously loud levels after only a bit of tweaking.
I know our drummer puts a pillow in from of his bass to lower the volume... Would that work in front of my amp?
Or you could just take my advice without posting a reply riddled with fail

Don't know. I've never tried that. It's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, consider what I said.
Turn the volume on the amp down to where you can barely hear it (below two like you said) and then use the pedal's own volume control to boost it to whatever is appropriate for mommy and daddy to approve
Tried that too. Still a tad to low with it jus below 2 on the amp and full volume on the pedal. Perhaps I can lay a blanket over the speaker when playing at home? I would test these theories now, but its much too late here.
My Rig-
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncans) {My Baby ^_^}
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Turn the amp up just to the beginning of the ear-bleed status and use the pedal's volume to control it? I'm running out of ideas. if the pillow or blanket is thick enough, it would muffle your sound; not a good thing, btw.
I'm pretty sure the 212R doesn't have a way to use head phones. If it did that would be awesome. I know that using a blanket could muffle my sound badly, but that may be only way. The only other thing I can do is use the built in distortion of the amp, it has a better volume range, but the built in distortion bites compared to my DS-1 used with the clean channel.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by RisingFreedom09
I'm pretty sure the 212R doesn't have a way to use head phones. If it did that would be awesome.

Try plugging the headphones into the Pre Out, I'm not too educated on amps so I don't know if that would work, but it's worth a try.
Indeed. The sound is still too bitchin for me to go trade in this amp though. And once I get either a crunch box or line 6 über metal, I won't need anything else in my set up. I'll try the pillow/blanket method tomorrow and see how that works. Maybe I can find a way to use head phones on it though.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by Alex Vik
Try plugging the headphones into the Pre Out, I'm not too educated on amps so I don't know if that would work, but it's worth a try.

I will try that asap, first I need to find my little jack that you can plug an earphone jack in to in order to plug in to the amp.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Ok, well let us know how that works out. Hopefully you can get this thing sorted out, that amp looks pretty nice.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Ok, well let us know how that works out. Hopefully you can get this thing sorted out, that amp looks pretty nice.

Thanks
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
I have the FM65R and I found the problem is with the clean channel, Its either too loud or non existent. What I do, and it seems to work, is to use the distorted channel and turn the gain all the way down. Use that for your clean stuff and use a pedal for distortion. I run a Digitech rp80 multi effects thru mine. I usually have the volume on 2 and it doesn't bother my wife in the next room. The other benefit of doing this is that you get to use the mid knob because the amps regular clean channel onyl has bass and treble.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09