Today I took my first guitar lesson after a little over a year of playing. I learned the major scale and what a tonic was. I can already tell a slight difference in some of my techniques which is awesome, I am very happy I decided to start taking lessons. I am wondering what I should ask to learn next? Any input would help, I do not know any music theory and I am desperately trying to change that.
Quote by mostly I hate u
Today I took my first guitar lesson after a little over a year of playing. I learned the major scale and what a tonic was. I can already tell a slight difference in some of my techniques which is awesome, I am very happy I decided to start taking lessons. I am wondering what I should ask to learn next? Any input would help, I do not know any music theory and I am desperately trying to change that.

Your teacher should be able to guide you. Go to your next lesson prepared by getting down what you learned this week, and see where your teacher takes you next.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Your teacher should be able to guide you. Go to your next lesson prepared by getting down what you learned this week, and see where your teacher takes you next.

+1
it seems like he's teaching you theory along with actual techniques, which is good. just make sure you practice what he teaches you and youll be fine.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
+1
it seems like he's teaching you theory along with actual techniques, which is good. just make sure you practice what he teaches you and youll be fine.

+1 Practice what he teaches you.

The lead guitarist in my old band is a guitar teacher and he gave me lessons for free and all I did was practice what he told me and my playing increased ten fold.

That and I would learn new things on my own, random scales, new songs, finger exercises etc.
Last edited by silversoulcage at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by mostly I hate u

learn as many scales as possible and you will be shredding it out in no time