My main choices as of now are :
Gretsch 5120
Epiphone Dot
Ibanez Artcore (AF75)

I realized I can get some bang for my buck at around $600.

I mostly play blues, rockabilly, and punk rock. I know, weird mix.
Any opinions?

Well, another thing I could do is mod my Epiphone Special II, maybe some new pick ups and tuners or something.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Last edited by Mr.Camo at Feb 3, 2009,
i just got an epiphone dot (not the studio the regular one thats about $400) and its awsome. gretsch makes good hollow bodies too.

ibanez is alright....i would lean more towards the epiphone or gretsch though.
Epiphone Dot. No contest.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Last edited by stevenpollock at Feb 3, 2009,
Epiphone Alleykat. Those things are pimp. Or if you can find it: a flamekat.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme

Those things still exist?!?!?!
I've owned pretty much all threee (different Ibanez model same style though). The Gretsch and the Epiphone I'd highly recomend.

I had some problems with my Ibanez (it buzzed (string buzz not amp buzz...) like crazy and had crazy "unfixable" intonation problems) and and returned it for the Dot which I loved until it fell down at some point and cracked the neck... At which point I decided instead of fixing the neck for about $100 I should pile all my funds and get a new guitar. I wound up with a Gretsch which also has a crazy story of how I ordered it in a finish that "didn't exist" according to Gretsch when I called because it had been back ordered like 6 times and delayed me from a new guitar for about 4 months... But nontheless I got it and I love it.

In short: probably shy away from the Ibanezes they look nice but I dont think theyre properly built or taken care of at GC/music shops. They probably dont sell as much and get knocked around quite a bit.
Quote by Thomme

This.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']

I'd imagine a good number of them still exist somewhere to be purchased used.

I actually prefer the sound and feel of the smaller semi-hollows over the ES-335 style guitars. I mean, don't get me wrong, a friend of mine has a vintage 70's ES-333 and it's goddamned sweet, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I prefer my smaller semi's and thinlines.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']

There a Rare Find?!?!?!? I Have one And read somehing like 500 or 1000 were made or something like that... or are they just discontinued..
Look into the PRS SE semihollows, if they are even half as good as the SE customs then it will be worth your money. The few SEs that I have played I can safely say none have let me down, so I think your money is safe there. Other than that I like your choices of the Dot and Artcore, two really decent guitars.
Those guitars will appreciate beyond compare in the next ten years. Thirty years from now, they may even hit the same price as an original 1957 Strat.
Oh what do they go for... Sorry its been a while since i looked up the price of a strat. mostly cause i was afraid i would drool at the prices of my 69 strat would sell.

But as for the guitar You Can't go wrong with a dot. thoe guitars can play anything basicly. so it will fit your needs. also a Line 6 spider or a Peavey vypyr would also helpin your diffrent styles.
57's in mint condition go for about 25K if i'm not mistaken. I know my pop used to have one that he traded for a drum set (later traded that for his first car) but yeah. Same value as the EVH Frankenstrat when it first came out last year.
I say...
Find an Epiphone Sheraton II used, preferably a Korean-made one.
They are spectacular for the price.
The Dot or the Gretsch, though id lean more for the Dot, idk how well the gretsch would be suited for punk
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I still maintain my Telecaster Thinline post
while the tele thinline is an awesome guitar (not the humbucker equipped model, those fender widerange pickups blow), it's not really a "semi-hollow." I mean, it is, but it feels and sounds more like a solid body instrument. I think the TS is lookin' for something with more air in it.

Quote by Tyranus-3121
The Dot or the Gretsch, though id lean more for the Dot, idk how well the gretsch would be suited for punk

ever heard of social distortion?
I played an Epiphone Dot before and I really didn't like it compared to the Cort model I tried.
Still waiting to try a Gretsch, though...
Gretsch Electromatic - 2008 Series.
Seagull Coastline S6 - Spruce Top.
Some nylon that was given to me. IT SHREDS HARD, DUDE.
Can't go wrong with an Epiphone Dot. Gretch are great guitars too, never heard a bad word about them.

Another option is a Sparrow Primitive. Great guitar, lots of bang for the buck. http://www.sparrowguitars.com/primitive
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Tim Armstrong of Rancid also uses semi-hollows a lot.

I may just go for a Dot, cheaper then a Gretsch, but still workable, plus, I love the sunburst finish on it.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Tim Armstrong of Rancid also uses semi-hollows a lot.

Yeah, Semi-hollows & hollowbodies are really common in punk, ska, rockabilly, psychobilly etc.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
I love my 5120, but then it is a step up from the Starcaster that i began playing on, so anything that is not a Starcaster seems like the coolest guitar ever. But on the topic of the Grestch, you also get a Bigsby Trem, which is awesome.