hey, i found an epi strat nearby where i live and i think i'm gonna pick it up and use it as a project guitar. but i don't know much about these models. i know epi doesn't make them anymore, but that's bout it.

hows the quality on these? comparable to MIM standards? if it's not just plywood then i'll prolly pick it up.

My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
epiphone made strats??
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
who cares, its an epiphone strat i would get it no matter how ****ty it was an work on it til it got the job done and then some. thats just cause im a fanboy tho, love them.
Never heard of Epi Strats.. but, I doubt it would be comparable to a MIM Strat. Personally, I'd save the money.
They're not that bad. A friend traded a broken PSP for one and it plays pretty nicely and the tone isn't half bad.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i've been needin' strat tones pretty bad, and wouldn't mind fixin' up the epi. i can set it up myself, and already have nice amps to play through, all i need is that single coil tone and great playability.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
do it. if it turns out ****ty its still somthing to hang up in your room ten years from now. DO IT.
Never heard of an Epiphone strat copy. I doubt it's as good as a MIM Strat. Play it in person to decide if it's good enough to buy.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
For 100 bucks, might as well. I picked up my Epiphone Spotlight for 150 and I love it
Everytime this guitar comes up, everyone goes on and on about how "epiphone never made a strat," and, "epiphone made strats?!"

In anycase, that looks to be the S-310, early 90's, late 80's model, MIK. I've got a Fat-310 myself. The S-310 should have a two point low friction tremelo, 25.5" scale, maple fretboard and a maple/alder laminate body. It's a decent instrument, nothing to freak out about, but for $100, it'll be decent. About what you find on an SX strat, but with better tuners. I've tricked mine out to no end, it was my first electric, and it's now my "test bed" guitar. Really flat neck, actually, but it's really comfortable.

I should add: that is the "high end" epiphone strat model, but it still sports a laminate body and a 3-piece maple neck, I think those went for $250 new when they were makin' em. It's a very bright sounding guitar, so, if you do pickup changes, hot, trebley pickups tend to be kind of shrill in them, stick with softer pickups with it. I've got a Semour Duncan '59 in mine and it's REALLY bright, I usually roll down the high end with this guitar just to get a more useable tone. I assume that the GFS Retrotron pickups would get you great, bright jangly tones out of this and lipstick tube pickups would kickass in this thing. The stock epiphone pickups blow. The single coils in mine were dull and listless, while the humbucker was nothing but shrill "metal" tone.

actually, when I think about it: we didn't have a fender dealer within two towns of us until 2001, all we got were epi's, fernandes, jay tursers, danos and the likes as far as budget/mid range went around us, alot of people I grew up playing music with had epiphone basses and guitars and they were all pretty nice for what you'd pay for them. Lot of special II's, SG's, epi basses and epi strats, even a couple epi teles. My brother in law's band's electrics were almost nothing but epiphone strats when he was in highschool. For $100, if that had the batwing headstock, I'd be all over that.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 4, 2009,
I seem to recall hearing some of these had solid bodies, I think of maple or alder. I know a few had nice flamed necks. Epiphone also made another strat-like model that was pretty crappy, but then they made a nicer one as Thomme said. I can't tell which one that is. Those pickups don't look stock though, so that may be a plus, but that looks like the crappy trem due to it's size.
Quote by CJRocker
I seem to recall hearing some of these had solid bodies, I think of maple or alder. I know a few had nice flamed necks. Epiphone also made another strat-like model that was pretty crappy, but then they made a nicer one as Thomme said. I can't tell which one that is. Those pickups don't look stock though, so that may be a plus, but that looks like the crappy trem due to it's size.

actually, looking closely, those pickups look to be rails, definitely not stock, unless the picture's somehow blurring the poles together.

here's some quick info on it:
http://www.elderly.com/items/30U-9304.htm
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Epiphone/S-310/10/1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK38ghdV9V0 - clip

I might be wrong on that bridge, though. Apparently they went to the two-point later on, with the "knife" headstock, you might be getting the 6 screw tremelo.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 4, 2009,