Been going back and forth about a first guitar and at the moment I think I want to start relatively inexpensive and move up from there. Looking hard at the Seagull mini-jumbos, specifically these two:

Seagull Entourage Mini-jumbo
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Entourage-Mini-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516907

Seagull Maritime Mini-jumbo Spruce Gloss Acoustic
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Maritime-Mini-Jumbo-Spruce-Gloss-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516944

The obvious difference between the two is the wood. I haven't had the opportunity to hear either of these - anyone have an opinion of whether the sound on the spruce model is significantly "better"?
The less obvious difference is the neck width. The Entourage comes with a 1.72" nut, whereas the Maritime is a standard Seagull 1.8".

As for the difference in sound between the two, I'm not sure. I can vouch for the Spruce being an amazing guitar though. One of my favourites under $1000 without a doubt. Cedar or Spruce is just a personal preference. Cedar is more mellow, Spruce is brighter. Cedar tends to draw out more tone at lower volumes whereas Spruce has a higher volume you can reach before the tone bottoms out.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Dude, you're starting at a great price range for a first guitar....

Both of my guitars (acoustic and electric) were under $200

Anyways, I haven't had the pleasure of playing either one of those guitars. I haven't found a shop in my town that carries Seagull. My GC sucks and my closest local shop only carries Washburn, Cort, and Martin. I can say that the few Seagulls I HAVE played were amazing, and that I really want one someday soon. Maybe save up over the summer for a nicer one? I think I will.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by captivate
The less obvious difference is the neck width. The Entourage comes with a 1.72" nut, whereas the Maritime is a standard Seagull 1.8".

That's an excellent point. The 1.72" may be too narrow but, being a beginner, I'm not sure! (Ah, noobhood...)

Good food for thought though...honestly I was all ready to dive in with the spruce model but the entourage version is almost $200 cheaper and the bank account forced me to think twice.
I had the Entourage Mini-Jumbo before and I must say it sounds really good. The sound is a lot deeper than it looks. The only thing I didn't like is the headstock. It does and feel a bit cheap, but if that's not a concern for you, I would highly recommend getting it. I returned this guitar though because I wanted a cutaway and I'm more used to a smaller body than the jumbo. Regardless of which one you pick, Seagulls make really nice mid-range priced guitars.
Quote by wtgerbil
I had the Entourage Mini-Jumbo before and I must say it sounds really good. The sound is a lot deeper than it looks. The only thing I didn't like is the headstock. It does and feel a bit cheap, but if that's not a concern for you, I would highly recommend getting it. I returned this guitar though because I wanted a cutaway and I'm more used to a smaller body than the jumbo. Regardless of which one you pick, Seagulls make really nice mid-range priced guitars.

Yes I prefer a 000 size actually but haven't been able to find one for less than $600 that I liked the sounds/build of.

As far as the cheap headstock, since it is a first guitar and I'm limiting my budget I know it can't be perfect...guess I'd say sound is the biggest priority over anything.
The headstock actually has some functionality behind it. It's bent on a 45 degree angle to increase sustain and then the headstock is small so that the pull is straighter than a normal. This creates for less binding in the nut, which means easier tuning/staying in tune more.

As you can see from the pictures above, the Seagull headstock pulls much straighter than the Martin headstock. It helps a LITTLE bit with tuning stability and ease of tuning. I can attest to this as I have both a Seagull and Martin in my house.

As for the "feeling cheap"... Yes, they're very light weight and it does feel fragile/flimsy, but I can assure you that the quality is top notch.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.