I've just started to get into recording electric guitar rather than acoustic recently. I own an MXL 990/991. Would I be able to mic my AC15 with this? I heard I have to check the SPL rating?

Will it break if it's too loud?

990- Max SPL for 0.5% THD: 130Db Max SPL with -10dB cut: 130dB

991- Max SPL for 0.5% THD: 137dB

edit: 130 Db is on the threshold of pain apparently :P so I should be alright?
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
Last edited by mooshoepork at Feb 4, 2009,
I believe 108dB is considered the threshold of permanent hearing damage, even if it's small, so don't think you're safe just because your ears aren't bleeding. What that would translate to in terms of your mic, though, is that if you don't really, REALLY crank it up you should be all right. I will admit, however, that I know little about mics.
Last edited by steve.howard at Feb 4, 2009,
thanks for the reply It's not really cranked. It is kinda loud though...I'm not even sure if it's possible to break them by noise?
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
You should be fine, just don't crank the amp too much and it won't cause any damage to the mics. Infact, most recording engineers use a combination of a dynamic mic (usually an SM57) on the speaker cone and then a condenser either a bit farther back from the cone, or inside the back of the amp.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
It is entirely possible to break a condenser with too much noise, but I don't think you have too much to worry about here. As Sonny sam said, a lot of engineers use a condenser in conjunction with a dynamic (I do this, and it's a good technique to use).

Just make sure you don't crank the amp too much or have the mic insanely close.
There is poetry in despair.
I was talking to an engineer a few weeks ago about all sorts of comical things people do when they aren't properly informed.

Apparently some idiot in one of the bigger london studios assumed, as U87's are very good mics, that it would be great on the kick drum..

Fail.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by mooshoepork
I've just started to get into recording electric guitar rather than acoustic recently. I own an MXL 990/991. Would I be able to mic my AC15 with this? I heard I have to check the SPL rating?

Will it break if it's too loud?

990- Max SPL for 0.5% THD: 130Db Max SPL with -10dB cut: 130dB

991- Max SPL for 0.5% THD: 137dB

edit: 130 Db is on the threshold of pain apparently :P so I should be alright?

well if you start getting close to those high dB lvls i would advise using Isolation Headphones, its what i use when i crank an amp for recording, will protect your ears! to a certain extent though im sure, but honestly i dont think you need to crank the tube amps that much to get a decent recording. i have cranked a Blues Deville and my Peavey Classic 50 to some high levels for recording and my Mics are still in good order...now i also had recording headphones on so my ears were ok.