Page 1 of 2
ok, so for one of my major assessments for year 11 music, i need to select and perform a piece written in the baroque period
i'm ****ting myself about this whole thing, because i can only play guitar
so im looking for a piece thats not too complex, but would sound impressive to a music teacher
i figure if anywhere, the pit can help me out?
i was thinking either jerryc's arrangement of 'canon in d' or the alexi laiho/roope latvala version of vivaldi's 'four seasons', with a leaning more toward canon
any tips of learning either of these songs, or suggestions for others?
thanks in advance
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by nick_b
ok, so for one of my major assessments for year 11 music, i need to select and perform a piece written in the baroque period
so im looking for a piece thats not too complex, but would sound impressive to a music teacher
i was thinking either jerryc's arrangement of 'canon in d' or the alexi laiho/roope latvala version of vivaldi's 'four seasons', with a leaning more toward canon
thanks in advance

Four Seasons was classical and Canon was romantic or classical (Not sure)

If you're looking for baroque, look at Bach, his inventions were all very nice baroque pieces, my personal favourite is Invention no 13 in Am.

Baroque and roll to my knowledge wasn't written in the baroque period seeing as Malmsteen isn't THAT old.
Quote by LordBishek
Classico - Tenacious D

With lyrics.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
stupid music teacher
gave us an assignment on baroque composers where we had to research seperate ones for each person
i got vivaldi, and my friend got pachelbel
bugger
[EDIT] It's only to research the composer. i can choose any song written in the baroque period
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Last edited by nick_b at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by Zero-Hartman
With lyrics.

And a fat bald dude playing guitar. You have to do the whole JB thing. Naked.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
Bach's tocatta and fugue man... so awesome.
Eh, I have a feeling if that were transcribed, the fugue wouldn't even really be a fugue.
Quote by The Madcap
I'd just find a short Bach piece and transcribe it for guitar. He has plenty of those.

There you go. Only problem is finding a good one for one part.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by XianXiuHong

If you're looking for baroque, look at Bach, his inventions were all very nice baroque pieces, my personal favourite is Invention no 13 in Am.

Baroque and roll to my knowledge wasn't written in the baroque period seeing as Malmsteen isn't THAT old.

What are you chatting about , "The Four Seasons" was written by Vivaldi , a BAROQUE composer , not classical. Top baroque composers , Bach , Vivaldi , Locatelli , Valentini , Corelli , Palestrini.

Edit: For guitar stuff you would be best off finding pieces written for lute, mandolin or baroque guitar. Of if your proficient enough you could have a shot at a Concert Grosso , perhaps one by Handel.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Last edited by ChillofWinter at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by ChillofWinter
What are you chatting about , "The Four Seasons" was written by Vivaldi , a BAROQUE composer , not classical. Top baroque composers , Bach , Vivaldi , Locatelli , Valentini , Corelli , Palestrini.

To me, the Four Seasons lacked the typical baroque phrasing which was very common with the other composers you listed, especially with Bach, once Bach broke all of those melodic rules that Baroque had set in stone and I'm assuming Vivaldi heard what Bach was doing and attempted the same, it just sounds more classical to me than Baroque.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Yeah....
Quote by XianXiuHong
Kind of hard to transcribe for guitar and accurately play when in a hurry while still keeping it an actual invention. Usually, especially for electric, transcribers simplify Bach's keyboard music quite a bit.
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah....Kind of hard to transcribe for guitar and accurately play when in a hurry while still keeping it an actual invention. Usually, especially for electric, transcribers simplify Bach's keyboard music quite a bit.

It seems the TS is in a bit of a predicament then, basically all baroque music required more than one voice and just the melody will be very thin and quite a bit boring.

Also, I'm talking out my ass when it comes to classical and stuff, I'm an idiot
Quote by XianXiuHong
To me, the Four Seasons lacked the typical baroque phrasing which was very common with the other composers you listed, especially with Bach, once Bach broke all of those melodic rules that Baroque had set in stone and I'm assuming Vivaldi heard what Bach was doing and attempted the same, it just sounds more classical to me than Baroque.

Baroque refers to the timeperoid moreso than the style , for Example Locatelli had some very "classical" sounding pieces (more emphasis on single line melodies and less ornamentation/flashyness and the wonderfull counter-point that is so perfectly displayed in baroque music.

Yet the Four Seasons is undeniably baroque in style to me , it may be more reserved and controlled than other baroque pieces , but it still retains most of the characteristics. And also most of the time follows the typical baroque chord progressions.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Quote by XianXiuHong
It seems the TS is in a bit of a predicament then, basically all baroque music required more than one voice and just the melody will be very thin and quite a bit boring.

I thought this myself... What can he really do without backing players?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by XianXiuHong

Also, I'm talking out my ass when it comes to classical and stuff, I'm an idiot

Is OK, Fernando loves to suck his thumb also. Is so sensual!
Quote by The Madcap
Eh, I have a feeling if that were transcribed, the fugue wouldn't even really be a fugue.

Point made I guess. Might be possible on a bass, two handed tapping. though I assume TS is a guitarist.
I am me. Live with it.
BTW I see youve only been playing for 3 years , in that case you would probably be best off doing Canon in D by Pachabell , as overplayed as it is.

And yes Pachabell is indeed a Baroque composer , despite what others here have said lol.. Never trust guitarists when it comes to non-rock music haha :P (well apart from me and a few others lol)
- Socrates

Quote by nick_b
stupid music teacher
gave us an assignment on baroque composers where we had to research seperate ones for each person
i got vivaldi, and my friend got pachelbel
bugger

Oh no , having to learn about possibly the greatest peroid of music to ever grace our planet .....

Anyway this was rather confusing , are you saying that you have to research Vivaldi , or that the PIECE you play HAS to be by Vivaldi?
- Socrates

Canon/ Pachelbel = 100% baroque

go for it
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
This thread disappoints. I came in here expecting to get rick rolled by some Mozart, but it never happened.
Quote by Tomosaurus
Blackbird..
Plug In Baby..
Canon in D..
DIE WALKURE

Weather Report and Muse , Baroque.... die walkure sounds like an opera by haydn or wagner but I doubt it is baroque either (Could very well be I cant be bothered to search anything atm , downloading too much crap).

Try to be helpfull instead of trying to be funny , or just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.

Edit: oops I was thinking of Black Market by Weather Report , blackbird it by that horrid band the beatles :P
- Socrates

Last edited by ChillofWinter at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by Tomosaurus
Blackbird..
Plug In Baby..
Canon in D..
DIE WALKURE

Just wanted you to know the thread in you sig gave me ten solid minutes of nonstop lulz. Thank you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Greensleeves?
Not that baroque, more like Renaissance, but still good enough.
Quote by nick_b
thanks in advance

I thought you said Barack and roll.
I thought this was like an Obama rick astley.

Now I'm sad.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
I was having a fight with Bach yesterday and he baroque my nose
- Socrates

Canon (in D) by Pachabel is like,my favorite song EVER.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I thought you said Barack and roll.
I thought this was like an Obama rick astley.

Now I'm sad.

Why's that make you sad? I've seen the Barack-roll. It's just stupid.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by XianXiuHong

If I'm not mistaken, Vivaldi began composing before Bach (and he was older). Bach was also not known as a composer during his lifetime. He was known for his instrumental skill.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
sing me at pleasure - thomas weelkes!!! play it on 5 guitars, itll sound sick
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
Last edited by muhat gandy at Feb 4, 2009,
handel's sarabande
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Vivaldi is a baroque composer. His music is NOT classical.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ChillofWinter
I was having a fight with Bach yesterday and he baroque my nose

too bad a similar joke is already in my sig
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Page 1 of 2