I'm looking at an SBK 56 case for my Michael Kelly Patriot Glory, but the problem is that the body cavity is too deep. As a result, the neck of the guitar sits slightly above the neck support in the case. What would be the best way to fill in the body cavity so that the guitar fits properly (or should I even bother)?
Scrunched-up paper?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
a really soft towel
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
that egg shell foam stuff or some carpet hot glued into the bottom of the case.
Quote by 667
Old tee-shirt.

a t-shirt will scratch finishes. heve you ever tried to polish a nice finish with a tshirt? it leaves tons of small scratches.
stiff foam with fur line, or guitar safe cloth cover.

but you need to make sure that you are supporting that neck and headstock in the correct way when transporting,

otherwise, you can end up snapping it.

for a temp fill newspaper is good. but on a day to day, something permanent and fixed, would be best.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jymellis
a t-shirt will scratch finishes. heve you ever tried to polish a nice finish with a tshirt? it leaves tons of small scratches.

Wrong.
Cotton does not scratch. You either used a contaminated tee-shirt, a tee-shirt that was not 100% cotton, and/or the seams/tag caused those scratches.

Pre wash the tee-shirt and cut off all seams before you use it for polishing.
For the purpose of bolstering the neck in the case, I wouldn't worry about it.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by 667
Wrong.
Cotton does not scratch. You either used a contaminated tee-shirt, a tee-shirt that was not 100% cotton, and/or the seams/tag to cause those scratches.

Pre wash the tee-shirt and cut off all seams before you use it for polishing.
For the purpose of bolstering the neck in the case, I wouldn't worry about it.

WRONG! that is why polishing cloths are made of micro fibers and not cotton
Owned.

Anyweyz, I suggest laying down a few old t-shirts or a bunch of those microfiber clothes.
Quote by jj1565
but you need to make sure that you are supporting that neck and headstock in the correct way when transporting,

otherwise, you can end up snapping it.

How can I know if the neck and headstock are being supported in the correct way?
Quote by 667

and why are so many made from micro fibre instead of cotton? because cotton (atleast the weave used in tshirts)scratches. but hey, go ahead and polish your guitar with cotton tshirts if you want. i dont because i have scratched my guitars in the past using a tshirt!
Last edited by jymellis at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by RabidWookie
How can I know if the neck and headstock are being supported in the correct way?

put the guitar in. make sure there isn't pressure on the headstock when you close the lid.

i cant see your guitar in the case, so it's hard to be specific.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Basically my fear is that, if I prop up the base so that the neck rests on the neck support, too much of the weight of the guitar will be transferred to the neck (since the body of the guitar will be resting at a backwards angle).

Does anyone know of any stores that carry eggshell foam (or any type of foam that would be suitable for this job)? Michael Kelly makes a case designed to perfectly fit their guitars, but it doesn't really offer much protection.
Quote by jymellis
and why are so many made from micro fibre instead of cotton? because cotton (atleast the weave used in tshirts)scratches. but hey, go ahead and polish your guitar with cotton tshirts if you want. i dont because i have scratched my guitars in the past using a tshirt!

What kind of cotton shirts do you wear? I think you are off base here.....Cotton shirts are great for drying cars as well, it absorbs water and polishes well, not leaving scratches to the car paint. A guitar resting on some cotton shirts in a case is not going to harm it.
Quote by jymellis

Microfiber is relatively new, it wasn't always used for polishing. Its only used now because the higher fiber count is easier to remove polish with. I personally hate it because it holds in dirt more than regular fabric and that will scratch your finish. Cotton shirts are perfectly fine as long as they are clean and soft.

As far as the case, depends on how much effort you want to put in to it. I'd carefully lift up the plush lining and add some thin layers of fairly stiff foam and re-glue the lining.
Quote by jymellis

Vince? The Sham WOW guy? Is that you?

Again, you should have used a clean t shirt.. that's key.

I'm not saying cotton is better....but it's cheap and gets the job done. I've been cleaning my plastic glasses, laptop screen, polishing guitars and stuff for 20 years with CLEAN cotton. No problems.

Microfiber absorbs dirt and water better, but if dirty, will scratch.. you just have to use common sense and not be a grub.

"why are so many made from micro fiber instead of cotton?"
Because it works well and... AND there's a huge market for anything "tech".

Again, all the OP wants to do is support the neck in the case. The case material is probably going to scratch up the guitar more than whatever he's going to use because of particles in the case fur.

You are in denial regarding this matter. Commercial propaganda has claimed you.
Quote by RabidWookie
Anyone know of a store that carries foam?

Try like a fedex, ups, U haul. etc.type store-fronts. I'm sure Home Depot has something too.