I'm looking into buying a new amp as I would like to go all tube. My Valvetronix is alright but I think it's time to go for a tube amp. I'm on a bit of a budget, about $1000 Australian, I can probably strech to $1300.

For the americans a decent price on a peavey classic 30 is like $1200 AUD, VK - $900, DSL 40 goes for as little as $1300 and rrp is $1700.

Currently I play rock, metal, grunge and dabble in a bit of jazz (But this isn't incredibly important, I play @ my school). So I'm into Metallica, Nirvana, Satch etc. So I need something reasonably versatile. I've ordered a bad monkey so I could probably push it a little. I'd want some nice cleans but I want to push it all the way in Kirk/Satch Lead tones.

Anyway I need something preferably not too loud (No Half Stacks!!), mostly bedroom practising.
Preferably I'd like a 3 band eq, volume and gain control. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Suggest me some amps. I'd be happy to buy off ebay or go used. BTW I'm also selling the vox if i get this if anyones interested...like $300.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
ENGL powerball.

kidding.
peavey classic 30 will do wonders.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Look at a Randall RG50TC. Great metal amp and pretty good for cleans also.

Or a DSL401 is also pretty good (and underrated) IMO. Everyone hates on them because they don't have that classic Marshall crunch, but they sound pretty good nevertheless.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I know of someone selling a Mesa Boogie Studio .22. Definitely a great amp. He wants $1200 for it, i can pm you the link if you want.
^That.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Look at a Randall RG50TC. Great metal amp and pretty good for cleans also.

Or a DSL401 is also pretty good (and underrated) IMO. Everyone hates on them because they don't have that classic Marshall crunch, but they sound pretty good nevertheless.

People don't like them because they sound like poo, not to mention they're overpriced. Used, they're a pretty good value, I'll give you that.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by _Sanitarium_
You suggested it yourself, Peavey Classic 30

What's the classic like if I wanted say, an avenged sevenfold tone or a lead satch like satch boogie/surfing with the alien or Zack Wylde? Like if I wanted to get quite heavy. I know some would reccomend the VK but I don't want to buy something with the intention of upgrading..
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by Kevin Saale
People don't like them because they sound like poo, not to mention they're overpriced. Used, they're a pretty good value, I'll give you that.

Meh, I personally prefer them to a Classic 30. And for a grunge tone (which TS says he wants) they're one of the few amps that can get a natural Silverchair/Bush type distortion which, when mixed with a fuzz, gives you that trebly Nirvana sound.

EDIT: TS- the Classic 30 is not a very good heavy amp. It can probably reach Black Sabbath-type stuff on it's own, but not Zakk Wylde.
Quote by Cathbard
Last edited by shadow__666 at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by hendrixftw
What's the classic like if I wanted say, an avenged sevenfold tone or a lead satch like satch boogie/surfing with the alien or Zack Wylde? Like if I wanted to get quite heavy. I know some would reccomend the VK but I don't want to buy something with the intention of upgrading..

The Mesa Studio .22 i suggested will be able to do that level of gain well. The classic 30 wont get that heavy, even with a boost.
Quote by littlephil
The Mesa Studio .22 i suggested will be able to do that level of gain well. The classic 30 wont get that heavy, even with a boost.

Ty for the offer but I'm not buying a new one right now. Prob in a few months. How would it do in metal if I used a metal muff. Otherwise are there other alternatives? Something in a similar price range that is more modernly voiced?
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
Ty for the offer but I'm not buying a new one right now. Prob in a few months. How would it do in metal if I used a metal muff. Otherwise are there other alternatives? Something in a similar price range that is more modernly voiced?

You're posting asking for amp suggestions, but arent gonna but it for a few months?
No its more I'm still playing the field. Working out what's to buy. I don't want to rush it.
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Well, it is an extremely versatile amp. There's videos on Youtube of it doing blues through to metal. I'd advise you against a C30, it is nice, but its overrated here and I was a bit disappointed with mine, that's why I sold it.
Plus the .22 could be resold for more than its being sold for.