Alright, so,
I've read the manual cover to cover.
I've heard albums recorded with just POD's
I've tinkered with mine.

The only possible tone I can get for Hard Rock, (Kinda Zeppelin, VH and AC/DC mixed) doesn't exist! The only tone I get at all makes me sound like that new kid with the electric guitar and a Behringer overdrive set to maximum while he hits every string as hard as he can.......In other words, very un proffesional.

I want to use this POD with my Marshall Jackhammer for the gain. I run through my churches PA (which is rather good quality) each week, so taking my quad and head unit up twice a week doesnt work out efficiently...

I normally use a Behringer V-Amp2 to do the PODs job but I thought I would see what the V-amp was modeled off and whether it was worth its price tag. So far, I'm very very un impressed.

What am I doing wrong that makes every possible variation sound crap?
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
No one?
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
tweak tweak tweak.

once in a great while you can pull a a tone from the tone library off the line 6 site and at least tweak from that.

In my experience.. Pod isn't a plug and play deal. you gotta sit down and study the thing. otherwise you won't get much out of it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I'm totally cool to sit and tweak. But the thing is, no matter what I tweak. Everything sounds like crap. All Line 6's presets, and anything I make.

Though, its cleans are fine. Its just anything with distortion sounds like a very low quality fuzz..
are you using the jackhammer with it now? its possible that the signal form the pedal is overloading the pod a bit. if you are using the pedal, try running without it for now.

If you're not using the jackhammer, check out some of the stomp box models along with any of the amp models you're using. they have tube screamer and a rat pedal sim that help along most amp models in the pod.

i've found that even the hi gain amp models always sound kinda mushy.. using one of the stomp box simulators along with the hi gain amps tighten it up quite a bit.

about the fuzz, i'm not entirely sure what you mean.. so oyu'll need to explain more.
Quote by Kivarenn82
are you using the jackhammer with it now? its possible that the signal form the pedal is overloading the pod a bit. if you are using the pedal, try running without it for now.

If you're not using the jackhammer, check out some of the stomp box models along with any of the amp models you're using. they have tube screamer and a rat pedal sim that help along most amp models in the pod.

i've found that even the hi gain amp models always sound kinda mushy.. using one of the stomp box simulators along with the hi gain amps tighten it up quite a bit.

about the fuzz, i'm not entirely sure what you mean.. so oyu'll need to explain more.

Well I tried the Jackhammer and it sounded poor, so I tried the stomp simulators too, no luck, still exactly the same.

With the fuzz, listen to Mathew Bellamy's tone from Muse. Most of the songs he uses a fuzz, but his is a quality one so its tolerable. This sounds like a super low quality budget version of that.
any particular muse tune i should view?

what are your settings at this exact moment? like amp model, pedals, delays, eq on the knobs and if you're using the semi parametric EQ..

what needs to change from the tone you have on the pod to get to the tone you want to have now?
Quote by Kivarenn82
any particular muse tune i should view?

what are your settings at this exact moment? like amp model, pedals, delays, eq on the knobs and if you're using the semi parametric EQ..

what needs to change from the tone you have on the pod to get to the tone you want to have now?

I couldn't tell you those things *exactly*. But I can give a general feel for it. I've left the POD at the church to go back later and tweak some more. But heres what I can remember.

using 17:A user preset.
Amp: Clean Jazz
parametric EQ bypassed.
On the dials; Bass 6, Mid 6, treble 4, presence 0 (exactly as I use on my Marshall JCM 900 and I love that tone). Output is full, volume is as desirable. Reverb straight up.

I have AIR Turned on, I just realised that I needed to play with that a bit more. But even when playing with it at home I couldnt get a decent sound.

My full pedalboard chain is as follows (in order); Cry baby, MXR Phase 90, Jackhammer, MXR Flanger, Digitech Whammy IV, Boss DD-3, POD XT.

In regards to Muse, listen to Super Massive Black Hole. Now amplify the fuzz and take out some quality of sound, and think as if it were to be played with chords. Dirty huh?
ah ok. yea its hard to tweak a pod when its not right in front of you

but back to what you want to sound like.. is more zeppliny? more van halen? or more ACDC?

either way it sounds like you want some more gain and a tighter sound.. but it'll be easier to fine tune if you have a direct example.

and even the muse guy is a bit mushy for me. I've never been a huge fan of fuzz. but hi gain is my favorite kinda gain. xD

Edit: i should quickly note that whatever settings you have on your JCM900 will not AT ALL be transferrable to whatever you're using on the pod. simply because they're 2 really different pieces of equipment which will even be running thru 2 different types of amplification.

pod to PA
VS.
marshall amp to marshall cab

and definitely fiddle around with the AIR settings. one amp models has many different sounds when using the different cabinet and mic settings.. the JCM800 amp model sounds very different when using a 4x12 greenback25 with the 421 dynamic mic compared to a treadplate with a 57 off axis.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Feb 4, 2009,
Not really more of any of those bands, I'd just like to replicate the exact tone that Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother uses. He seems to get a good combination of the 3. My jcm900 has that tone that I seek, I guess I'm just trying to replicate my amp as close as possible.

I'll have to just have the Jackhammer switched on, and flick through the AIR settings and be very in depth with each of them.

Thanks for your help man