I've made hundreds of riffs and melodies etc, each with a bas line rhythm sections lead sections and everything, yet not a single one fits together with another. I'm struggling to make a single song and its really bothering me that nothing sounds 'right' together and it sounds as if I copied and pasted it from two different songs, too choppy and it just doesn't flow. They are almost all in the key of D minor and around 120 bpm so i don't understand why the sound so bad together. What I'm asking is how you manage to write tunes to go together well, and if theres any way to do that a bit quicker?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I don't know if there's a music term for it, but I would call it "flow." That was something I always had a problem with when doing almost anything (written papers, karate katas, riffs/songs).

The overall song has to have phrasing riffs, so you can bring in new riffs without it being awkward. I guess what I like the best is volume swells or dramatic pauses, which I overuse when writing songs. Be creative, listen to some bands that have a lot of riffs packed into one song, like Metallica for instance.

And, obviously, if you're writing something that will eventually have lyrics, clearly define a Verse, Chorus, etc.
Last edited by xHellbound at Feb 4, 2009,
When I write a song I don't write the riffs and then try to string them together. I normally write a riff I'm happy with and picture where I feel it should fit within a song. I then work around that idea and build up the song around it. So then riffs are written around the original riffs. I find this works quit well. You'll also find that this process brings up lots of unsuitable material that could become part of another track. Don't ever try to force a riff into a song if it doesn't feel right.
You should listen "Set the world Afire" by Megadeth. That song has like 4 distinct guitar riffs in the INTRO, and they keep adding more in the verses and choruses. You should listen to that and many other example songs and try to apply it that way with your riffs.
I used to have this same problem before I changed the way I wrote music.
I stopped writing riffs because they just seemed like a static thought that never went anywhere.
I know think of the song as one big, flowing idea, and I go where it takes me.
Sometimes I think of it as a watercolor painting, where I can add and blend until I get something that sounds good.
(I know those both sound really cheesy, but it's the truth.)
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease

I know think of the song as one big, flowing idea, and I go where it takes me.
Sometimes I think of it as a watercolor painting, where I can add and blend until I get something that sounds good.
(I know those both sound really cheesy, but it's the truth.)

This! i couldn't have said it better. It's also what Myshadow46_2 mentioned.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Feb 5, 2009,
Im with sleaze disease. I had much the same problem and still do. It never ends. rarely do I have a tune that just comes together. I dont record anything until I know how the song ends.

I jam a riff for as long as it takes to find another peice of the puzzle. This might take hours or even days. Sometimes years. But the end result is that I have a song. Not pieces, though I have so many of them its ridiculous. I write a new riff every time I play so its no big deal, but writing a whole song, no. That usually takes a while. Spend more time connecting the dots and not drawing the dots. (ON GUITAR, NOT YOUR COMPUTER!!)

I think all of us guitarists have been there. I guarantee no musician in this world can say he/she has never had that problem. If they say they havent, their lying. Just take your time and youll figure it out.
This may be a stupid suggestion coming from someone who's writing up like 5 random riffs he liked and a few lyrics that came to his (warped) mind.
But I'd suggest just playing one of those riffs until you think of something that flows from that. Does take make sense?
Quote by metallicafan616
I've made hundreds of riffs and melodies etc, each with a bas line rhythm sections lead sections and everything, yet not a single one fits together with another. I'm struggling to make a single song and its really bothering me that nothing sounds 'right' together and it sounds as if I copied and pasted it from two different songs, too choppy and it just doesn't flow. They are almost all in the key of D minor and around 120 bpm so i don't understand why the sound so bad together. What I'm asking is how you manage to write tunes to go together well, and if theres any way to do that a bit quicker?

how many songs can you play all the way through?

training your mind to deal with the entire context form wise may help you out / give you some ideas.

Quote by MarauderNL
I'd suggest just playing one of those riffs until you think of something that flows from that. Does take make sense?

good advice
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 5, 2009,
Complexity is built upon simpler ideas, and when you start dissecting songs you like it's astonishing how simple some of the basic concepts are.

"E-A-E-A-E-A..." really?!

Sometimes it really is that easy.

Find a key and fill in with some strummy chords for a while. Have the strummy chords act as a verse or chorus, then write a simple, filler verse. Play it.

Every time you play it you'll end up developing it a bit more until eventually it becomes something complex and whole.

I often write songs from the context of the bass player. That eliminates all the complexity of harmonies and strumming patterns, etc. Just think about the structure itself, how does it move?

Let the guitar come out of this basic skeleton.

...or there is the Opeth method: just keep adding riffs until the song is 58 hours long, and then write a bunch of black-metal nonsense about some chick weeping on a shore under the light of a crimson moon and there you go.

Teens all over the globe will be spraying their shorts listening to your masterworks of wank.

"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
...or there is the Opeth method: just keep adding riffs until the song is 58 hours long,

Opeth is without a doubt THE most boring band I've ever seen live.
I seriously wanted to lay down and take a nap until the next band came out.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Opeth is without a doubt THE most boring band I've ever seen live.
I seriously wanted to lay down and take a nap until the next band came out.

So true! Because having dynamics, great riffs, and good vocal lines is SOOoo boring...

Quote by allislost
So true! Because having dynamics, great riffs, and good vocal lines is SOOoo boring...

Were you there?
No, you weren't.
Their whole set was 4 songs long, and each one of those songs went on forever.
IMO, that's boring.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
IF they went on "forever" the 1st song should still be going right now!

So how does pausing every 3-4 minutes make a set good?

Why can't you just say that you don't like them and that you don't get what they're doing, instead of saying that long songs make bands sound boring

Quote by allislost
IF they went on "forever" the 1st song should still be going right now!

So how does pausing every 3-4 minutes make a set good?

Why can't you just say that you don't like them and that you don't get what they're doing, instead of saying that long songs make bands sound boring

Why can't I just say that I thought they were boring?
Look, I like bands like Yes and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer who write long songs, but I don't find them anywhere near as boring as Opeth.
Why do you even care what I think?
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Why can't I just say that I thought they were boring?
Look, I like bands like Yes and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer who write long songs, but I don't find them anywhere near as boring as Opeth.
Why do you even care what I think?

I just found it interesting that you considered them boring. That's all.

And well if you can't defend your opinion then lets just end it.

Quote by GuitarMunky
how many songs can you play all the way through?

training your mind to deal with the entire context form wise may help you out / give you some ideas.

barely any, no boundaries and tribute to randy by MAB, stabwound by necrophagist and bed of razors and lake bodom by children of bodom.

i normally just learn riffs so i guess im doomed to only play riffs really

ill try learn a few of the songs in the styles i want to write i guess

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost