hi,people...a week ago i recived my new,and first seven strings guitar.
because i´m a lefty,i live in spain and the distribuitors are not very interested about us (left handers),i had to take what i´ve found.
i wanted to get a schecter blackjack or hellraiser(1000-1200$),but finally i had to buy a schecter omen 7.
first,i thought that could be better for me,´cause is my first 7,if i´m not confortable with it,at least,it will be cheap.
but now i´m in love with my omen 7.in a few months i´ll get some other guitar and the omen will be the back up.
i´ll change some things from it,but the first thing i want to do,is to change the guitar
weakest point,the pick-up´s.
here is the question:
-would you put emg´s or duncan´s?
-bridge:duncan distorsion or invader?
-what about the neck?

-their equivalence with emg´s???

i play some kinds of metal but i want a decent clean sounds...

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR ANSWERS!!!
I'm not familiar with Duncan models, so I can't help you there.
What I can say, is if you want decent cleans, EMG's are definitely not the way to go.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
If you really want to know about EMG vs. Duncan, you might as well look into the Blackouts, because they're an active pickup just like an EMG, although many people prefer the Blackout's sound. Personally, i have no experience with them, although that is the pickup they put in Blackjacks (like you were looking at).
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
I hate when people shamelessly plug their own gear, but I happen to have the Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewire actives, and I love them.

the distortion is great, which is the reason i bought them, but i wasn't expecting the cleans to sound so awesome.

The cleans aren't just decent; they're very good.

A good friend of mine has a PRS custom 24 with dragon 2 pickups and he sadly admitted he liked the sound of my cleans better than his, and his guitar was something like 2 grand.

I also have some experience with dimarzio pickups in a friend's ernie ball guitar and they sound great as well. I haven't had too much of an opportunity to test the cleans out but I've played with a hefty amount of distortion on his Mesa dual rect and it sounds badass. But then again that amp is incredible.

Anyways, thats just my 2 cents.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by dhoyft at Feb 4, 2009,
Doh!

Completely forgot that all that information is uselss for 7 stringers. Oh well, good luck!

On another note, in case you couldn't tell, I am a megadeth fan and their new guitarist, chris broderick, uses a 7 string with dimarzio pickups, and I like what I hear from videos and stuff. You can check out some youtube videos of their new 2008 performances which are professionally recorded and perhaps it will give you a vague idea of the potential tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtzEox424PA&feature=channel_page
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by dhoyft at Feb 4, 2009,
All I was saying is this: unless they make seven string Mustaine livewires, i'm not seeing the useful-ness of that post
Nah man, don't misinterpret my reply as sarcasm. You were right. hah

They do NOT make 7 string version livewires.
Roland Cube 60
Dude, if you're looking to match EMG's, the choice now from SD is simple: BLACKOUTS!

-more gain
-less noise

enough said. We must have sold about 9 sets in the past 2 months at my shop, and I'm thinking I may have to buy a set and swap them in my hellraiser. the two other guys I work with who play metal switched them and said they'll never go back to an EMG set again, there's just no comparison (mind you at NAMM EMG released a "new" line which supposedly has similar range boost to the blackouts so there isn't such a wide gap anymore, but I'll believe that difference when I hear it).
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by dhoyft
I hate when people shamelessly plug their own gear, but I happen to have the Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewire actives, and I love them.

the distortion is great, which is the reason i bought them, but i wasn't expecting the cleans to sound so awesome.

The cleans aren't just decent; they're very good.

A good friend of mine has a PRS custom 24 with dragon 2 pickups and he sadly admitted he liked the sound of my cleans better than his, and his guitar was something like 2 grand.

I agree those livewires are pretty sweet, I've tried them on Dave's sig VMNTs a number of times. So far they're the only active pickups I like. Too bad they're only for 6 stringers.