So i need a high gain head (No not a combo, it's going to be sitting on my cab). Open to any brands, if i can find them. Used is definitley an option.

I had a Mesa Dual rectifier which was great for versatility and such, but i wasn't keen on the high gain. It sounded good, but i dunno, i wanna try something else. Plus money was tight, so it had to go.

I don't want to spend more than £400.

I've been looking at Bugera, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

I'll be playing mainly:
Metal, Hardcore, Pop punk and general pop (Hence the versatility).

Anything from Job for a cowboy - Chimaira - As Blood runs Black - Machine head for the heavier stuff.
You me at six - All time low - Allister for lighter stuff (I'm not too bothered about this kind of tone, as long as SOMETHING is achieveable).

I WILL be gigging.

Thanks.
Sweet.
How much are Randall amps over there? If you had a higher budget I'd recommend the MTS series Or an ENGL, but once again, you have a fairly limited budget.

Blackstar and Bugera seem to be making decent amps at the moment, but stray away from the 333 series of Bugeras, as they tend to have the most issues.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
From what I've seen, Bugera 6260's and 6262s seem to be pretty nice.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
i wouldnt reccomend bugera, have just heard endless numbers of faults and problems with them. Seeing as they dont have a UK dealer it is really hard to try them out aswell, so dont be drawn by the amazing price. Around that price you could get a second hand Marshall JCM2000 or 5150 for that heavy rock/metalish tone. 400 is quite limated for a good tube amp.
Definatly try a bugera, I play everything from acousticy stuff to death metal and my 6260 can handle it all. Another good option would be a laney gh50l. They're 470 new but you could probably nab one off ebay for around 320. However they're single channel so you couldn't go from a clean sound to a dirty sound with a single button press.

^To the above, bugera have a couple of UK seller's, I called up Gak and they got one in for me to try so if the TS want's to try one give Gak a call. Also the bugera's come with a year's warrenty and if your bugera last's a year it's probably not a dud. One thing to be careful of is that the tube's are only covered for 3 months so it could be worth putting some money aside in case the tubes go after the 3 month's. Also the fault's seem to be more common with the 333 series but that's not to say the 626x series is perfect.

Oh and there are some decent tube heads for 400 IMO
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
Last edited by rockdan101 at Feb 4, 2009,
I know that theres some nice tube heads in the region of £400, otherwise i wouldn't be looking. I'm just having money issues at the moment so i've put my budget low for that reason.
Thanks for the help, will check out everything suggested.
Sweet.
Quote by JamesGale
i wouldnt reccomend bugera, have just heard endless numbers of faults and problems with them. Seeing as they dont have a UK dealer it is really hard to try them out aswell, so dont be drawn by the amazing price. Around that price you could get a second hand Marshall JCM2000 or 5150 for that heavy rock/metalish tone. 400 is quite limated for a good tube amp.

+1
record a bugera and it will make soo much more sense
in the UK arent marshalls dirt cheap?
if so, get a Marshall. boost it with a ts9 and there ya go.
the only marshall thats good for metal would be a JCM 900 or 800 but a 900 would do you better.
save up more money.
bugera 333/333xl or used peavey ultra/xxx. theres an ultra head going for 250 USD at my shop nearby, and evne though your in england, you should find some pretty good used peavey deals.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Peavey 6505?

They're deffo high gain, and with enough time, you can manage to get a fair range of tones out of it
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Would it be possible to find a 6505 for around £400? Everytime i've looked they're up in the 800-900's. Thanks for the suggestions.
Sweet.
Maybe a Bugera if you take it to a tech before you use it, make sure they tighten all the bolts and solder everything.