So.. all of a sudden the tone on my MH-250NT has gotten muddy, for the first couple of weeks I had it, it sounded great, now all of a sudden I get this really bad tone.

I play Drop D, with 10-46g strings. My GAX70, which is half the price has 10-52s and is tuned Drop C and sounds 10 times better.

Ive tried adjusting the pickup height, Ive messed with the EQ controls god knows how many times on my Cube and yet the tone on my LTD still sounds like crap, and I have no idea why.

Its gotten to the point that I dont want to play it anymore because it sounds awful.

I play both guitars with a Cube 15x (upgrading to a Vypyr 75 shortly).
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I don't know the guitar, but if the pickups are Active, the battery may need changing.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
Quote by Adam144
I don't know the guitar, but if the pickups are Active, the battery may need changing.

No, theyre passive LH-301s, ESP made. Ive seen older MH-250NTs say ESP-EMG on the pickup cover, though.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I know it sounds stupid but have you tried turning the tone knob up on your guitar?
Or maybe your amp may be broken.
Quote by Onlywayout
I know it sounds stupid but have you tried turning the tone knob up on your guitar?
Or maybe your amp may be broken.

Yes, my guitar also has a coil splitter, which Ive made sure its not active and the tone is turned up.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by tallicaown
could it be the wiring of the pickups, ie a loss wire :S

Im not sure how this would explain the guitar tone going to crap after 2 weeks.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by one987654321
take off the back plate and make sure the ground is still snug in place

Alright, what am I looking for? I dont recognize the ground.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by jymellis
have you changed strings? the strings may have gone dead.

i seriously doubt that would make that much of a difference to where he doesnt want to play anymore,besides he said 2 weeks,read before you post
Quote by one987654321
i seriously doubt that would make that much of a difference to where he doesnt want to play anymore,besides he said 2 weeks,read before you post

and how long where those strings on the guitar before he had it? think before you post
Quote by one987654321

Yeah, I got the guitar in the middle of January and played it off an on for about 2 weeks, and then I noticed the tone sounding like garbage and I havent really wanted to play it since.

Plus the guitar came strung with D'addarios, so its not like they were basic no-name strings.

I bought it brand new.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
you still need to check the obvious. its little things like that that will drive you nuts! if you dont find anything else visibly wrong with it try a new set of strings ( only be out 5 bucks and it will eliminate that as a possibility)
its where the wire is soldered or welded to a piece of metal inside your guitar,if the guitar has a tremolo open the backplate,now look where the springs attach to the tremolo,it should be attached to the opposite side of this where the springs are attached to the body to a piece of metal inside the backplate
I used to sell these and never had an issue with them before but it is possible of course...Id just take it back and have the shop do a set-up on it...if they are worth thier salt they do it no probs...or they will exchange it. At least if it were my shop I would...these guys depend on repeat business and word of mouth
It's the strings.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jymellis
and how long where those strings on the guitar before he had it? think before you post

u spelled were wrong
Quote by jymellis
you still need to check the obvious. its little things like that that will drive you nuts! if you dont find anything else visibly wrong with it try a new set of strings ( only be out 5 bucks and it will eliminate that as a possibility)

Yeah, Im gonna do that now, hopefully its just the strings, but Ive been playing the DRs on my GAX70 for about a month now and the tone still sounds fine.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by one987654321
u spelled were wrong

You spelled "you" wrong.

Don't even think about criticizing other people's spelling if you are too damn lazy to type three letters. /rant
Quote by Black-Metal
you sir, are my favourite american

When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!
Last edited by Kahn89 at Feb 4, 2009,
So... I went to my local guitar store, bought some Ernie Ball 12-56's, restrung Ophelia and tuned her back to Drop C...

she sounds beastly now.

I was shocked at how quickly strings can go bad, even from light playing. I flipped out thinking something was wrong with my LTD.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212