# 100 Watts RMS into 4, 8, or 16 Ohms (selectable impedance)
# Power level switch for 25 Watt, 50 Watt, or 100 Watt operation
# Preamp out / power amp in patching jacks

these 3 things are on my Peavel XXL head, I don't really understand what they are used for... I know what a preamp, pwr amp is etc. I'll put it into diffrent scenarios.

1. I want to connect my head to a mixer board DIRECTLY, not mic up the cabinet. How do I do this and should I be consearned about any of the above things?

2. I want to connect a straight second cabinet (I already have a slant cabinet), that would make it 2x cabinets, do I have to fiddle about with the "Power level switch" for the watts.

3. the "preamp out jack", I suppose this is where you directly connect the head to the mixerboard?

4. "power amp in", what in gods name in this for? :/ A power amp is supposed help boost the power of the signal so that it can be used with passive speakers/PA.

5. the "ohms", does that depend on what speaker your plugging the head output into?
• Ibanez RG1570
Dunstan Distortion (Bridge)
Standard V7 (Middle)
Air Norton (Neck)
011 Strings Drop C
• Peavy XXL 100W
• SM58 Mic
1. you'd need a dummy load for this to take the output of the power tubes, or if it has a headphone jack that might work.
2. usually cabinets have a second jack which can be used to daisy chain two cabinets together.
3. yep.
4. you pretty much understand it. if you're using a seperate preamp you use this to access only the power tubes in the amp, bypassing the pre amp.
5. ohms are tough to describe, so i won't bother. there are plenty of threads about this.
1. Send a cable from the "preamp out" jack to the board.

2.no, you do have to make sure the impedance is correct. Two 8 ohm cabs for instance would be 4 ohms impedance--sending 25, 50, or 100 watts out to the speakers is a matter of preference, how much volume (or much more likely) headroom you want.

3.yeah, or you can use it as an effects loop when combined with the poweramp in jack.

4. It means "this signal goes into the poweramp" you can plug an external preamp in here if you don't want to use the built in one, or if you're daisy chaining amps (send signal from preamp out on one amp to power amp in on another, so that you play through both at the same time)

5.Yes--make it match. Google on how to calculate total impedance when you're using more than one cab. Hooking up one cab--all you have to do is match what's listed on the cab.
thanks guys, really good info! Got some new questions!

1. both my cabinets are 16ohms at 300watts per. Now what I plug in one I can have 16 ohms on the head and it won't do anything right? If I select 8ohms on the head, will it damage my cabiniet or in any way make the sound worse?
• Ibanez RG1570
Standard V7 (Middle)
Air Norton (Neck)
011 Strings Drop C
• Peavy XXL 100W
• SM58 Mic
Read abit abit ohm's. If I want to run 2 cabinets I'm gonna have to down the ohm switch on my head to 8ohms, thats because I'm running them PARALLEL, if I was running them through a SERIES then I'd have to up the switch to 32ohms.

Something I don't understand though, my head is a 100W. my cabinets are 300w's. How does this work? lol
• Ibanez RG1570
Standard V7 (Middle)
Air Norton (Neck)
011 Strings Drop C
• Peavy XXL 100W
• SM58 Mic
Last edited by FlakKer at Feb 4, 2009,
I do have one more question, why does my amp have the setting to switch between diffrent WATT's? it should always be at 100W for best sound?
• Ibanez RG1570
Standard V7 (Middle)
Air Norton (Neck)
011 Strings Drop C
• Peavy XXL 100W
• SM58 Mic
The wattage switch only controls the loudness of the amp. at normal volumes it would actually sound better if you switched it to 25w.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
I also keep reading everywhere that the power amp wattage output should be at least double of that of the speaker its going into for "headroom". Why is it that my amps head is 100W and my cabinet is 300W?
• Ibanez RG1570
Standard V7 (Middle)
Air Norton (Neck)
011 Strings Drop C
• Peavy XXL 100W
• SM58 Mic