ok guys, im 26, just got a bass, had one in HS, but never played it, and never learned anything. i have had this one a month, and been playing and learning as much as possible from all sources, i have a few questions on some tips/pointers if you guys dont mind..

#1 - my pinky, and the E string, my pinky is fairly short by comparision. and i have trouble on the E string with it, on the A,D and G strings its fine, it needs to be stronger, but its fine. any tips on my pinky and the E string?

#2 - as far as practice goes i have been trying to spend an hour a night practicing/playing. for the fun side i have been trying to learn some songs from tabs/GuitarPro.....but i know for the technical/theory part of it, i need to also learn scales......i know the major and minor scales, and last nite started learning the blues scale. i guess my question here is, how do i maximize the practice time i do have, and are there any songs i should learn that will improve my bass playing alot, while having fun?

sorry for the long winded post, but im a noob with lots of questions, and i have no choice but to go about this learning process WITHOUT a teacher, so that comment can be skipped...
For scales this is your friend: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

You'll mainly want to know your pentatonic scales, and your triads in relations to chords (played by the guitarist).

As far as pinky strength, as a guitarist I can't really help. On bass I tend to avoid using my pinky for anything but octaves and quick scale runs. Otherwise I tend to move my hand more.

Best of luck, sounds like you're off to a good start.
look for songs by your favorite band, they'll keep you motivated.
and for the pinky thing, ill tell you a tips:
1. practice pressng on the E string repeatedly by making a fist with your pinky pointed out and pressing on the string slowly then fast when your other fingers arent weighing your pinky to the fret there will be more resistence, and your pinky will strengthen faster
2.dont worry about scales(yet) if you play songs and learn the notes after you have the song down the notes will come to you much quicker
Learn some basic blues. The bass can either play the straight-up standard bass line or go absolutely insane, so you have plenty of room to grow with just that one simply style.

And by insane I mean leading tones (notes introducing important chord tones that don't necessarily come from the key), chromatics (half-step intervals, basically one fret at a time), dissonance - hitting a sour one on purpose, and so on. That's opposed to playing 48 trillion notes per second.

So get comfortable with slow blues in 4/4 and just keeping a solid rhythm. Then as you get comfortable, start exploring your options more and more. Try new things.

Two things I love about bass: nothing is ever "wrong", it's all your timing, and you basically solo the entire time!!

The guitarist gets one solo, your bassline (for blues or jazz) is a solo.

It's like making love to a woman. At first you get the basic idea..you know, spots that are sensitive to touch, touch a lot. Simple enough.

An experienced sexual magician (or likewise a bassist - often the same thing) will artfully avoid the obvious sweet spots - the musical clitoris - instead weaving a tapestry of passion all around it.

In other words: learn what to play, exactly what to play like some kind of textbook robot. Get good like that.

Then begin to play "around" what you're supposed to play. Again, blues is the best genre for this. You have so much freedom as literally all 12 notes work. Challenge yourself. See if you can pull a different note into a standard line and make it work. Keep trying different things. Come at it from above, from below, sideways.

Just keep exploring it until you make it fit...because it will!! There is always a way.

Once you have the capability to work every single note (there are only twelve!) into any bassline, you can literally do anything your heart desires.

...all of that and we haven't even touched on dynamics, yet!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Hayden06f4i
#1 - my pinky, and the E string, my pinky is fairly short by comparision. and i have trouble on the E string with it, on the A,D and G strings its fine, it needs to be stronger, but its fine. any tips on my pinky and the E string?

I hope you havent got your thumb hanging over the top of the fretboard?!?!

Make sure you have it anchored on the back of the neck and change its position relative to the string you are playing on.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman

Make sure you have it anchored on the back of the neck and change its position relative to the string you are playing on.

x

no, my thumb s point up vertically on the back of the neck, with the pad (thumbprint) pressed on the back of the neck.

i get what your saying guys about blues, and it being "liberal" in what you can play, you can be a robot, and once your better, you can experiment....what songs do you guys recommend?

seriously at this point i am a sponge, and i will respectfully and happily take as much info as possible from all of you guys....

what are the top, say, 5 scales to learn that are used alot?

i have spent numerous hours over the past month on studybass.com reading while at work, and it very overwhelming, but im learning alot....

bubonic, your post was awesome, i may have to quote part of that for a sig....
Last edited by Hayden06f4i at Feb 4, 2009,
having the option of reaching 4 frets on all strings is nice, but honestly you should just use your pinky and ring finger together most of the time. almost all professional players do it, and it keeps your hand in a good, healthy position instead of a nasty stretched out one with your thumb in a bad spot.
to get your pinky better for when you need it, do the spider exercise (1-2-3-4 on all strings) at a higher fret, whichever is comfortable but not overly easy, and gradually move closer to the nut as you progress.

as far as scales, there really aren't a top 5. learn what "scales" correspond to different types of chords and know the triads/chord tones to play over them.
On strengthening your pinky. You need to develop stretch and strength and nothing does that as well as spider scales. Google it--there's a bunch of videos out there on the technique.

One caveat--take them slow and steady and don't speed up the metronome until you can play them with great tone and on the beat.
the spider scale looks good, been doing a little of that, but ill definitely start doing more of it....

as far as practicing blues songs/lines, what are some easy ones i can start to learn to get good timing/rythm down? i know once i get a better understanding of theory ill be able to improvise more, and also see why certain notes are played in songs, but what i need is something bluesy and repetetive to work with.....any recommendations?
Quote by shinhoman

x

I pull my thumb over the top of my fretboard. Tons of players have in the past, there's nothing wrong with it if you can still fret the notes.
Quote by sloasdaylight
I pull my thumb over the top of my fretboard. Tons of players have in the past, there's nothing wrong with it if you can still fret the notes.

TS can't.

also, it causes less drag, making slides and position changes easy, especially when you change positions.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
the more i sit here and think about it, it seems like its more the "ability to stretch" my pinky comfortably, and the short length of my pinky that im trying to get over......the strength of it seems ok.

again its mainly the E string....like when i do scales, i have to REALLLY stretch to hit that note with the pinky on the E string. but if i do a scale starting from the A string, its no problem.
if you have your thumb on the back of the fretboard, your fretting will improve. you can use your thumb as a pivot to stretch to that E a lot easier.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758414&highlight=blues

Here's a few blues riffs to get you going.

On the thumb issue. If you have smaller hands swinging that thumb over the fretboard is going to hinder you greatly. Though it feels odd at first, anchoring your thumb on the back of the neck is going to give you much better range, flexibility, control and strength in your playing. If you have giant hands like the Ox, you can get away with swinging your thumb over the neck. Many of us can't.