Hey,

at band practice I use a Line 6 Spider III 75W amp with an Ibanez ART 320 which is loud enough for band practice but I'm never satisfied with the sound.. It's loud enough, but the tone isn't good enough.

If I put the volume on about 2 to 5 I'll get the really chunky tone I want (Because I play metal) but then when I put it up to about 6 or beyond, which I need to do to be heard next to the drums and vocals.. then sound just seems more noisy and not.. toneful enough.. if you get what I mean

So do I just need a bigger amp if I want a better tone?

And If so, could you suggest any amps?

Thanks for readin'
You obviously need a new amp, so make a thread in GG&A.
███████████████████████████████████
everything gets messy loud. try either tubes(yes they are expensive) or try getting the drummer to play a little quieter. if your stuck with your amp your basicaly stuck with the mess, theres really othing you can do that i know of besides getin a new amp
Quote by -tempest-
everything gets messy loud. try either tubes(yes they are expensive) or try getting the drummer to play a little quieter. if your stuck with your amp your basicaly stuck with the mess, theres really othing you can do that i know of besides getin a new amp

Know any good tube amp brands?
Quote by Covolt
Know any good tube amp brands?

The Peavey Windsor is a good choice if you aren't looking to spend a lot. I played it in a store and I've seen reviews calling it the "Poor Mans JCM800"

But, for a good tube amp, Mesa Boogie is the way to go. They're really expensive though.
I'm a big fan of Crate tube amps. However I doubt it would be the greatest for metal. Its best for that spacey-phaser kind of thing.
I know that it was just recommended, and it's now cheap as HELL, but I wouldn't recommend the Peavey Windsor. There's a reason it keeps getting discounted.

There are a lot of guitarists in your position, moving up from a spider III to their next amp, but I've heard positive things about the Spider III Valve series. They use Bogner tubes, which are pretty decent. Go give it a try @ your local store or something.
Last edited by Airman Kai at Feb 5, 2009,
Vox. Laney. Peavey. Fender. Marshall. Orange. Mesa. Randall. Etc. Etc.

These guys all do great tube amps that could get your sound where you're wanting it.

The big questions are...
Genre?
Gonna be gigging?
Budget?
404: Sig not found.
Also, keep in mind that you're going to be mic'd at a gig, so your volume won't even NEED to be at 9 or 10.
I'd say get a pedal for distortion, if ya wanna keep your spider, since that will most likely give you a higher quality of distortion for your spider, and many more ways to affect your tone, both on your amp, and the pedal knobs. Theres nothing worse than playing with that metal-zone like distortion that makes everything sound similar.. (no offense to Metal Zone owners, it's a matter of opinion).

Personally i use a boss Uber Metal, which is a really great pedal if you ask me. Actually checked this site for reviews and found none, so maybe it's not common in other countries.

Also metal muffs, bloody mary's and such have great distortion, that you can actually affect alot, instead of that earbleeding noise the bestseller amps AND pedals use.

Probably theres alot more, but i really don't know that much about gear. Nonetheless, i wish you luck on your search for your very own sound of METAL!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Go to GG and A
They'll help you out

You need a tube amp. Line 6 spiders are notorious for being ****ty amplifiers for anything but practice use