Hey everyone, I've been playing seriously for almost 3 years now so I consider myself an intermediate guitarist. I'm really into extreme metal so most of the songs I know are either metal or rock songs. I've been thinking about it a while and I realized I know any songs from other genres of music. I'd like to learn some beginner songs from other genres of music such as blues, jazz, country, folk, flamenco, etc. So here are some of my request:

1.) A good blues song. I know the 12 bars of blues but I want to learn something a little more complex. I want a good blues song, not rock/blues (Jimi Hendrix or ZZ Topp stuff) please.

2.) A good country song. I hate stuff like Kenny Chesney and all the newer country music. I'm looking for something like Hank Williams Jr., some old twangy real country that is guitar oriented.

3.) A good jazz song. I know some jazz chords and I really like gypsy jazz like Django Reinhardt but I've never learned an entire jazz song.

4.) A good folk song. I know nothing of this genre so anything will be good.

5.) A good flamenco song. Again, I know little to nothing about this genre so any song will do.

Also, please try to keep the difficulty of these songs between beginner and intermediate. Also try to pick more popular songs that really represent their respective genre. Thanks to any who help me out!
Quote by kirkhammett09
Hey everyone, I've been playing seriously for almost 3 years now so I consider myself an intermediate guitarist. I'm really into extreme metal so most of the songs I know are either metal or rock songs. I've been thinking about it a while and I realized I know any songs from other genres of music. I'd like to learn some beginner songs from other genres of music such as blues, jazz, country, folk, flamenco, etc. So here are some of my request:

1.) A good blues song. I know the 12 bars of blues but I want to learn something a little more complex. I want a good blues song, not rock/blues (Jimi Hendrix or ZZ Topp stuff) please.

2.) A good country song. I hate stuff like Kenny Chesney and all the newer country music. I'm looking for something like Hank Williams Jr., some old twangy real country that is guitar oriented.

3.) A good jazz song. I know some jazz chords and I really like gypsy jazz like Django Reinhardt but I've never learned an entire jazz song.

4.) A good folk song. I know nothing of this genre so anything will be good.

5.) A good flamenco song. Again, I know little to nothing about this genre so any song will do.

Also, please try to keep the difficulty of these songs between beginner and intermediate. Also try to pick more popular songs that really represent their respective genre. Thanks to any who help me out!

for blues, be sure to check out B.B., Freddie and Albert King. don't forget Buddy guy and SRV too. songs like hideaway and mary had a little lamb are really good.

Check out chet atkins and merle travis for country. Yakitty Axe is a pretty difficult song for beginners.

Pat metheny is a real good jazz guitarist, but i'm not sure if you can play any of his stuff. Phish uses some complex chords that you could find useful.

for folk, definitely check out neil young, the band and Bob Dylan. The needle and the damage done is a great acoustic song.

for flemenco, just listen to "Friday night in San Fransisco. defenitly the best guitar album ever made. period. is has three of the worlds greatest guitarists laying down some of the coolest stuff you've ever heard.

as i have already stated, check out Phish. they have some really cool songs that are harder to master, like "Stash" and "You Enjoy myself", but some easier stuff like "Farmhouse", "Dirt", "Bug" and "Twist".

hope this helped.
House of the Rising Sun is pretty simple. Not that I've mastered it by any stretch, but it has a bunch of chords and an interesting picking pattern.
For blues you should try John Lee Hooker

For flamenco, well, more spanish guitar, you could try Asturias, would help with finger picking

For folk try something like Leo Kottke or Tommy Emmanuel

Look at some Johnny Cash, he was widley varying things. Simpler songs and some stuff a bit more technical.

For jazz look at Joe Pass
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Funk 49 (a couple artists did the song or something), the genre is obvious

edit: oh! and John 5's "salt creek"...not the solo part, that's insane, but it has a nice rhythm guitar part- real good 'chicken pickin' song
Last edited by oggiedoggy at Feb 7, 2009,