So yeah. I just picked up an Ibanez S520EX on craigslist for $425 USD. It came with a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck position which imo, sounds utterly amazing. It has fantastic cleans and even in the high gain situations i play in (All types of Extreme Metal), it produces smooth, non-harsh leads.

So the dilemma I have now, is that I need a good bridge pup to compliment the neck pup. I will be using my neck pickup for leads and cleans, so I really need a bridge pup for high gain rhythm.

I have so far heard good things about the Dimarzio X2n, but I'm not sure how well it is as strictly a rhythm pup. I'll be playing through my 100watt Valveking 212, so I already have decent tube quality in my tone. I have also heard however, that these days, super high-output pickups aren't needed anymore with high gain amps so widely available.

So to sum it up, I am looking for a bridge pickup that will perform well as a rythm pup in a very high gain setup. It needs to be able to not get muddy when all the distortion is applied.

So I'm open to suggestions from you guys. I am willing to go with any brand, but I'd like to keep costs below $100. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote by Wampa_One
So yeah. I just picked up an Ibanez S520EX on craigslist for $425 USD. It came with a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck position which imo, sounds utterly amazing. It has fantastic cleans and even in the high gain situations i play in (All types of Extreme Metal), it produces smooth, non-harsh leads.

So the dilemma I have now, is that I need a good bridge pup to compliment the neck pup. I will be using my neck pickup for leads and cleans, so I really need a bridge pup for high gain rhythm.

I have so far heard good things about the Dimarzio X2n, but I'm not sure how well it is as strictly a rhythm pup. I'll be playing through my 100watt Valveking 212, so I already have decent tube quality in my tone. I have also heard however, that these days, super high-output pickups aren't needed anymore with high gain amps so widely available.

So to sum it up, I am looking for a bridge pickup that will perform well as a rythm pup in a very high gain setup. It needs to be able to not get muddy when all the distortion is applied.

So I'm open to suggestions from you guys. I am willing to go with any brand, but I'd like to keep costs below $100. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've heard nothing but bad about x2n's so I'd avoid them.

Besides, it'll most likely overpower your PAF Pro...

I have an s320wk (which is pretty much the same thing as a s520ex), with a ToneZone/Paf Pro combo.

The tonezone has a lot of mids, which can make it sound a bit nasally in certain situations (parallel I'm looking at you!), but it's very articulate and responds to picking. Also, it's really, really, really fat and warm.

So try a tonezone.

Oh btw,
you're totally right- the PAF Pro is amazing. I love mine. It's never coming out of this guitar as long as I own it.
Quote by Wampa_One

Check out the DiMarzio Air Zone for clarity. It's one of their highest gain, medium gain bridge pickups It's right under the Norton (which was made to fall between the sounds of the FRED and Tone Zone).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku
Check out the DiMarzio Air Zone for clarity. It's one of their highest gain, medium gain bridge pickups It's right under the Norton.

lmao,

isn't the air zone just a vintage voiced tonezone?
Quote by rlheart
lmao,

isn't the air zone just a vintage voiced tonezone?

Yeah, but that just means it's a it more versatile and cleans up sweeter
Plus it uses their Airbucker technology, so you get more clarity and less string pull (so it can be adjusted closer to the strings, too).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 4, 2009,
I think I'll definitely try out the ToneZone next time I can.

What have you guys experienced with the Super Distortion in the bridge position?
I've been browsing other threads across several websites, as well as looking at the seymour duncan and dimarzio websites.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Dimarzio Super Distortion or Tonezone, as well as Seymour duncan's Distortion pickup.

The ToneZone uses an Alnico 5 magnet, I understand that makes it sound warmer. Do you know if the Super distortion and the Distortion would still have a good, deep rhythm sound?

I'm still wondering if anybody can give me advice on the latter two pups.
I've only tried a few DiMarzios out, but I can tell you this much. Don't get the X2n. I tried one in my Explorer a while back (paired with a PAF Pro in the neck), and to me it sounded incredibly shrill, and is my least favorite high output pickup out of everything I've tried. Either way, it's much, much hotter than a PAF Pro, so the two wouldn't balance out very well.

I can't offer much more help to you other than that, but I am actually looking into the possibility of a Tone Zone/Breed combo on my Jackson, and I mainly play metal. Most of what I've read up on it seems to suggest that it's strongest point is it's lead tone, but that it's also got a great, warm, ballsy rhythm tone too. There seem to be a few dissenting opinions on it's ability to handle extreme metal, but I don't see why it wouldn't if you have a high gain amp. To me anyways, semi-hot/hot pickups sound way better for metal through a high gain amp than extremely high output pickups do (Or maybe I'm just starting to not like EMG's, lol)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff