Well, im not very good at guitar, so i was thinking about getting guitar lessons. So i thought i'd ask the pit if this was a good idea?

Also, is their anyone who lives in Manchester, England who could point me in the right direction for a decent teacher?

Thanks.
Try Satriani. He lives somewhere.

Maybe not Manchester, though...
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Apparently there's a guy called Neil, works at Grand Central who does lessons.
does Guthrie Govan live there, by chance?

If so, get him.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by flamedragon88
You basically need lessons, its like a must, alteast to get some theory down.

Forgive me, but ive never really known why theory is such a big deal, why is it?
I'm starting lessons this Saturday

I think it would be a good idea.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by SpartanTHC
Well, im not very good at guitar, so i was thinking about getting guitar lessons. So i thought i'd ask the pit if this was a good idea?

Also, is their anyone who lives in Manchester, England who could point me in the right direction for a decent teacher?

Thanks.

Where abouts in manchester? sorta personal but I live there.
Quote by SpartanTHC
Forgive me, but ive never really known why theory is such a big deal, why is it?

It makes everything a lot easier. It lets you figure out what you're doing and why. It opened up a lot of ways of soloing for me and made improvising a lot easier.
It also makes building chord progressions and riffs easier.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
It makes everything a lot easier. It lets you figure out what you're doing and why. It opened up a lot of ways of soloing for me and made improvising a lot easier.
It also makes building chord progressions and riffs easier.

I see, thanks man.

And to the above poster i live in middleton.
Quote by SpartanTHC

if you can understand what sounds good, writing is much less trial and error.

its like knowing multliplication tables. learning it makes things so much easyier

Edit: BEATEN!!!
Last edited by xorg3 at Feb 4, 2009,
It's Hard to teach yourself with books. It is easier to learn trough videos, but when you have an instructer that must be fun!
Definitely, i would say try to get a teacher that listens to metal, even if you don't listen to metal, they will have the best exercises and tricks to get you playing good, faster.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by psquartsoff01
It's Hard to teach yourself with books. It is easier to learn trough videos, but when you have an instructer that must be fun!

It might just be me but I really enjoyed sitting down with theory books for five hours a day during half term, teaching myself theory. Seriously, I loved it.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.