I picked up my first Hendrix CD yesterday and I'm hooked.
His awesome rythem playing (no two bars are alike) and the feeling that he puts behind it, plus the awesome basslines and drum rolls that I love.

What does he use exactly to get that sound?
I'm definatly not getting a Marshall amp so I'm talking guitar wise.

I have a SSS Strat, normal right handed guitar.
Would I get a bit closer to his tone by rasing the treble side and lowering the bass side of the pickups?

Did he use Fuzzfaces like his signature model or was his distortion natural amp stuff?

Another that I noticed is his general slopyness, lot's of accidental harmonics while scratching, empty strings when soloing in high registers (yes, this can be a cool effect but you kinda notice when he ****s it up) and his high gain that gets really fuzzy when he plays more than one string at once. Is this essential to his tone and lots of chromatic notes (sometimes I'm not sure if they were intentional)
He used cranked Marshall 100 watters and both germanium and silicon transistor fuzz faces. So to answer your first question, both. It sounds a little over the top but Hendrix was really great at using his guitar's volume to clean his sound up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwZ8I8wOGA
just outstanding... (imo, Hendrix's best tone)
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by al112987
He used cranked Marshall 100 watters and both germanium and silicon transistor fuzz faces. So to answer your first question, both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwZ8I8wOGA
just outstanding... (imo, Hendrix's best tone)

I heartily second that as his best tone.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
That was pretty cool but I perfer his vicious tone when he breaks into the solo in Voodoo Child (SR) and the entire Red House solo.
you cant go wrong with Dunlops Jimi Hendrix fuzz face, like the name would suggest, i think its the most Hendrix'y fuzz there is. oh and welcome to the party pall
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
The Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal is pretty awesome, It has plenty of classic Jimi tones for a fraction of the price (I'm not selling these, I just really like mine).
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
You'll need an old Marshall Super Lead, a Fuzz Face, wah, and a Univibe. Oh, and use a B string as a G string.

Oh, and drop lots of acid.

Oh, and replace your DNA with his.

(Honestly, he did lots of crazy things, it's hard to replicate his tone. You've got a strat, which is good, but you'll need a Marshall for most his tone, or a small Fender for some of his studio tones. Fuzz is also key.)
Last edited by Mitchell? at Feb 4, 2009,
He used mainly little Fender combos in the studio like Princetons or the like. Sometimes he also used a Bassman. He really only used Marshalls live.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by Mitchell?
You'll need an old Marshall Super Lead, a Fuzz Face, wah, and a Univibe. Oh, and use a B string as a G string.

Oh, and drop lots of acid.

Oh, and replace your DNA with his.

(Honestly, he did lots of crazy things, it's hard to replicate his tone. You've got a strat, which is good, but you'll need a Marshall for most his tone, or a small Fender for some of his studio tones. Fuzz is also key.)

I've got an ENGL amp and I'm not replacing it for sure.
I'll check that Hendrix experience pedal out.
I use this for my Hendrix fuzz sounds. I believe he cranked a marshall and used his volume control to clean it up and then the fuzz was for solos. As well as the UniVibe, Wah, and Octavia.
Does the ENGL have 6l6 or EL-34? I think they come in either tube... I could be mistaken though.

If the ENGL has EL-34s, you'll get closer to his live Marshall-y sound (yes, I know ENGLs are voiced way differently than Marshalls, but it'll at least be close ).

And yeah, I'd pick up a germanium fuzz and an RMC Picture Wah.

Oh, and a Uni-Vibe. I'm GASing so hard for a univibe....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Get a Super Lead clone instead of a Marshall reissue. Bam, Hendrix tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i second the tone in red house being damn awsome. i love the tone in bold as love as well. i feel like the only time i have ever gotten close to his tone is by playing through a marshall. nothing else seems remotely the same.