My local store has a 1965 martin d-18 (i think) 12 string acoustic for sale. Asking price is 1400$ (USD). Good deal or no? The finsh is checked, though not horribly, and not worn away anywhere. Everything is stock and plays very well.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by jimtaka
Structurally sound? No repairs?

I haven't had a chance to ask, but there's absolutely no evidence of any repairs, and the guitar is actually quite sound. Everything is worn but holding on perfectly.

It's a fair price. You certainly aren't getting away with the bargain of a lifetime. 1960's Martins aren't way up on the collect-o-meter but can still be great players. If it sounds great and isn't 6 months away from a neck resetting and refret it should be money well spent.

Not to mention everyone will think you're really awesome for having an old Martin.

Edit: Next time you see it, check around the heel of the neck. It will surely have plenty of cracks, but if it hasn't pulled away at all it's a good sign.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by GC Shred Off
Not to mention everyone will think you're really awesome for having an old Martin.

and EVERYONE knows thats the most important part of the whole deal
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
and EVERYONE knows thats the most important part of the whole deal

Anyone who claims otherwise is a liar.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Anyone who claims otherwise is a liar.

The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by GC Shred Off
It's a fair price. You certainly aren't getting away with the bargain of a lifetime. 1960's Martins aren't way up on the collect-o-meter but can still be great players. If it sounds great and isn't 6 months away from a neck resetting and refret it should be money well spent.

Edit: Next time you see it, check around the heel of the neck. It will surely have plenty of cracks, but if it hasn't pulled away at all it's a good sign.

The frets are fine, the neck is actually very similar to my 70s guild, though slightly lower action and frets. The first thing I looked at was the heel of the neck actually, its very solid in place.

The more I look into it the better the price looks, as every other one I've found online of similar year, and in the same condition just about, has gone for 1700 or up.

Me and the pops are going to really look at it in a few days, strangely it hasn't sold in a long time, possibly due to the lack of local demand for 12's.