Page 1 of 2
Answer the question. I for one, believe that it isn't but I have some friends that will argue with me over it and it just starts to piss me off. There can't be a gene that determines if you're gay or not, because then there must be one for tastes in food, music, etc. I think that gay people CHOOSE to be gay.

Oh and before you look stupid, there is a genetic disease that can be passed on from two CARRIER parents that don't have the actual disease. So don't post saying,WULL, DUHH 2 GHEY PEEPLE CANT HAV UH BABI DRR.
Well, the things you stated, such as tastes for food and music, are preferences, which is something completely different than sexual orientation.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
someone actually brought this up with me today. She believed it to be genetic but I'd never heard that before and I can't really get my head around it. I dunno lol
I think it is somewhat, but the environmental factor plays a big role.

EDIT: Have you ever talked to someone who is gay? They really don't CHOOSE to be gay.
Last edited by El Gigante at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by HohnJ723
no

Why answer your own thread?

Anyway, I do not think it is genetic.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Homosexuality has bearings in many genes not just one and has other major factors such as hormone levels in the womb, the structure of the brain determined by said hormones etc.

Homosexuality is multi faceted and isnt just genetic, although it has a basis in genetics. Genese are influenced by their environment. They can be switched on and off by certain hormones or selection pressuers. The whole issue is large and complex and the answer isnt fully known.

Read Freedoms_Stains blogs he studied molecular biology at university and knows his stuff.

Edit:

That was badly worded... Genes are not influenced by their environment... The environment has selection pressures that favours certain traits.

But anyway, homosexuality is NOT a choice or a preference. It is a sexual orientation. Its no different than being straight. Do you choose to be straight? No, you dont. Homosexuals dont choose to be homosexuals. It is determined by genetics and so many other environmental factors that it is hard to pin down.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Feb 4, 2009,
So you're saying being gay is a "disease"? I think not.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
sexual orientation isn't a preference then? it's a preference between having sex with men or women. And i guess metaldud has a point to, but if you grow up with gay parents, you would definately have a better chance of growing up gay.

EDIT: no, i'm not saying it is a disease. I was comparing the way it would have to be passed on to a disease that is passed on in a similar way.
Last edited by HohnJ723 at Feb 4, 2009,
Evidence is overwhelmingly genetic.

However, sexuality is not stable over time nor is there such thing as this ridiculous dichotomous structure that so many cultures have created.

Sexuality is based on a continuum.
Last edited by Inimical at Feb 4, 2009,
I think there's genetic homosexuality and then there's also the gayness where people... do it ''for the lulz''.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I believe you're born homosexual. I knew a kid when i was in preschool that all the parents knew was gay from the time he was 6. It wasn't something he could have learned, but ever since he was little he flitted about and liked dressing in his sister's clothes. He came out a few years ago as a sophomore in high school
I would say yes. I'm gay, and it certainly isn't a choice. Also, my half-sister and cousin are both lesbians (not together you perverts). It isn't a conditioning thing because I found out my half sister was a lesbian long after I knew I was and me and my cousin didn't meet each other much until ages after I knew for sure that I was.

Also, on some levels, I think I've always been gay, even before I hit puberty. One of my earliest memories is asking a teacher why men couldn't marry men because girls were icky, along with other similar things.

edit: oh and just to confirm a few stereotypes, I used to speak with a lisp and play with girls dolls. Now you know my secret UG
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by HohnJ723
sexual orientation isn't a preference then? it's a preference between having sex with men or women. And i guess metaldud has a point to, but if you grow up with gay parents, you would definately have a better chance of growing up gay.

No no no. Physical attraction is caused by hormones. So is gayness. Having gay parents does not mean you will be gay.
Quote by HohnJ723

Sexual orientation is not a preference. You can prefer cheese pizza over broccolli, or metal over blues, but you can't just decide or prefer to be sexually attracted to one gender over the other.

And I don't think that growing up with homosexual parents would increase your chances of being gay.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Call me Charlie.
how could a homosexuality gene get passed down :P as far as im aware couples of the same gender can't reproduce
I believe it's possible.

Doesn't really matter though, IMO. Whether they choose to do it or were born that way, they should have the same rights as everyone else. What we're doing in the US right now is wrong, and one day we'll look back on the whole incident in much the same we currently look back on the Civil Rights Movement; in shame.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by jgbsmith
I would say yes. I'm gay, and it certainly isn't a choice. Also, my half-sister and cousin are both lesbians (not together you perverts). It isn't a conditioning thing because I found out my half sister was a lesbian long after I knew I was and me and my cousin didn't meet each other much until ages after I knew for sure that I was.

Also, on some levels, I think I've always been gay, even before I hit puberty. One of my earliest memories is asking a teacher why men couldn't marry men because girls were icky, along with other similar things.

I have a hard time believing that it isn't a choice. No offense, but I think most gay people use this argument as a an excuse so that maybe they don't seem weird. Or, they want attention and want to play the victim card, acting like they were struck with some horrible illness at birth.
Actually it's already been scientifically proven that being gay is not a choice and is something that people are born with, it occurs in nature all the time. It's nothing new and it's been happening for thousands of years in the animal kingdom and that's all we are is big animals.

When a population of a given species becomes to great for an ecosystem to support homosexual tendencies flare up, it's been proven. Deal with it.
Quote by metaldud536
It is a gene. Also of course there aren't any genes for tastes in music, food, etc becuase that's more of an evironmental factor.

This
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
There was a study done that showed that something around 90% of the gay men in the studies had "female" brains, and there was concordant results with lesbians and male brains.

I don't know where it is though so I can't source it.
We talked about it in Health and the TP is an idiot.
Of course there's no homosexual (they prefer this because Gay means happy) gene!!!!!! Homsexuality is from your hormones which are released whether or not you'd like.
It's all in the levels of testosterone and estrogen.
As someone else said, have you heard a homosexual male talk? They can control how their voice sounds naturally as much as you can.
It's all in the hormones.

EDIT: another source, one time, watching Animal Planet or Discovery, they took 2 male rats and they were both running around in the cage. They injected estrogen or something to make one more female (brainwise). In under a minute, that rat ran over to the other and attemped breeding with it, even though they were both males. You cannot control how much testosterone you get, unless you to castration, but not all gays do that.
Last edited by yankovicfan3125 at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by HohnJ723
I have a hard time believing that it isn't a choice. No offense, but I think most gay people use this argument as a an excuse so that maybe they don't seem weird. Or, they want attention and want to play the victim card, acting like they were struck with some horrible illness at birth.

Then you are retarded.

Do you choose to be straight? Yes or no.

If no... How is it different for homosexuals? It isnt.

Would you choose to be gay knowing the social stigma you would face? No I dont think so.
Quote by boreamor
There was a study done that showed that something around 90% of the gay men in the studies had "female" brains, and there was concordant results with lesbians and male brains.

I don't know where it is though so I can't source it.

+1

I've actually read that before to.

On a separate note homosexuals should have the same rights as heterosexuals there is nothing wrong with and IT IS natural.
Quote by HohnJ723

Unless you've been under a rock for the past thousand years, gays HAVE BEEN and ARE STILL being victimized all over the world.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by jgbsmith

I don't want to get into an argument about anything about homosexuality but I'm pretty sure that a lot of guys will think that girls are "icky" when they're young.

When I was really young, I asked my mom why I couldn't marry her... that doesn't mean I like incest. In the same way, guys who think girls are "icky" when they're young aren't automatically gay.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Last edited by Karvid at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by HohnJ723

Despite your intentions of not being offensive, this comment is pretty offensive and I am not even gay. If you were to actually ask a gay man whether it was a choice or not, 9 times out of 10 he will tell you that it is not and that as far back as he can remember people had known that he was going to be gay.

Aside from that, how would this be used as an argument or an excuse so that they don't seem weird?

No offense or anything, but you sound pretty insecure.

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Guitardude19
Then you are retarded.

Do you choose to be straight? Yes or no.

If no... How is it different for homosexuals? It isnt.

Would you choose to be gay knowing the social stigma you would face? No I dont think so.

Play nice, kids.
hue
Quote by HohnJ723

I can 100% gaurantee (sp?) you that I'm not lying and that I did not choose to be gay. Whether or not it is genetic I don't know, but it is NOT a choice. If someone gave me the choice to change my sexuality, I wouldn't because it is part of who I am, but I didn't chose to be gay. That's like putting and ugly woman in front of you and expecting you to be able to 'make' yourdelf attracted to them.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Being gay is neither genetic nor chosen. If you 'choose' to be gay, than I dont believe youre actually gay.
Its the way youre born, and its how your mind works. You dont choose nor are you born that way based on genetics
Quote by sock_demon
Play nice, kids.

I will not play nice when ignorance is floating around.
this isn't really an opinion question. I am pretty sure the gay gene has been discovered. i forget who discovered it and when though.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Page 1 of 2