Hey guys, i'm interested in buying a guitar. I'm a complete beginner, so I plan on learning how to play once I get one. One thing though, I cant decide if I should either get an electric guitar or bass guitar. Both seem really fun, if I get a bass I want to try learning slap bass, and if I get a guitar i want to be able to play ska guitar and play along to some of my favorite songs. I just can't decide, what do you guys think is better for a beginner like me? Thanks a lot.
go with bass. there are wayyy too many guitarist already. beside you being a bassist have a lot better chance joining a band.
up to you, which do you mainly prefer (i know both do both) melody or rhythm?

EDIT: YES DEFINITELY ^ need more bassist who play pure bass not just **** guitarists who have no other way of playing in a band, although i do play guitar haha, but i'm gonna learn bass at some point
Last edited by wooftang999 at Feb 4, 2009,
It's completely up to you man.

The shorter scale of a guitar might make it easier, although bass lines are often not as difficult as guitar (just a generalisation).

You could always switch further down the line - I've been playing electric for a while and recently started bass too and it wasn't a massive leap.
When i wanted to start playing rock instruments, i wanted to learn the bass guitar. however, my aunt who is a musician, said i should start with acoustic guitar.
I would say that for someone commited to playing music the rest of their life, that the guitar has more far reaching implications into music theory and understanding. not saying that the bass isnt stilll using theory, but if you can play guitar, you can at least fake it on bass.
If you want immediate results and have fun playing to recorded music then maybe the bass is for you, but without a good bass with good action, and an amp that can produce a decent tone, slap bass can be very frustrating and not have big immediate payoff. I also find that as a melodic instrument, that the guitar is better for playing by itself, while just jamming on bass sometimes feels a bit lacking without an accompanying drumset or guitar.
Just so you guys know, I don't ever plan on joining a band. I just want to play as a hobby.
Don't think you have to limit yourself to one instrument.Get what you think is best for you now then when you get some more cash get the other option.I played both until my cheap bass amp died.Now I find that it's more realistic to sell off my Carvin bass and put the money towards guitar stuff because I don't play bass that much anymore.Cheap starter packs are available for both instruments and you can net some decent gear for cheap on the used market,so explore your options.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Pr0gnut is correct, but missed one point. As long as you have both instruments, you can get a single amp. i have a big bass stack that i use with a distortion pedal when i want to be loud on guitar, or take out the pedal and i have loud bass. i also have a small guitar amp that produces great clean tones for my bass if im practicing in my apartment, and sounds great with my guitar as well. so if you choose the right amp, you can save a couple hundred bucks on a second practice amp.
Guitar:
Seemingly Limitless possiblilities.

Bass:
Very Limited, And sucks hardcore.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Guitar is harder to get 'acceptable' at first, but once you do it gets easier to improve.

Bass is easier to get 'acceptable' at first, but once you do that it then becomes much harder to improve.

you say you only intend to do this as a hobby, which is fine (I'm in the same boat, sort of - I play 90% only for my own enjoyment and I never thought I'd want to play gigs), but you will be surprised once you get better, how much you may want to play the occasional show, especially if you have any friends who are also musicians. In that respect, even just an 'acceptable' bass player can get gigs moderately easy, whereas a guitarist has to be well above that level to get anyway just since there are so many more guitarists around - supply/demand comes into play. Also because lots of people are dumb and underestimate good bass players, so they'll just accept any random person to play bass for them.

Bass can end up running a little more expensive for a decent rig and basic maintenance - on the other hand there are more options with guitar which can lead to a lot of confusion and it's easy to waste money on inappropriate guitar stuff.

Also, it should be obvious but if you have small hands then bass will always be a bit harder.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Seth Shadows
Guitar:

Bass:

maybe you just suck at bass
Quote by Seth Shadows
Guitar:

Bass:

I semi-agree.In my case,bass was more limiting than guitar,but I think that was because I view stringed instruments like that in guitar terms,since well,I'm a guitarist.In the right hands though,a 6 string bass is a force to be reckoned with.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I started on bass and it is pretty limited IMO. Which is why I switched to guitar.

I learned how to play Portrait of Tracy fairly decent and after that I said "what now?"
Something I saw awhile back:

When you listen to music, do you think about what the Guitar is doing or what the Bass is?
Quote by Seth Shadows
Guitar:

Bass:

You sir, piss me off and suck hardcore. Play bass. Anything that sounds impressive on a guitar sounds more impressive on a bass, providing it is something talented. Play bass, it requires alot more skill than people realize, but basses are typically more expensive, and the strings cost 3-4 times more expensive than guitar strings. But it is totally worth it. Most bassists have a wider range on their hands, they stretch further. My friend is 6'5" and has huge hands, I'm 5'7" and I can stretch my hands further than him on the bass. Also bass is a necessity for any genre of music, bassists are always in demand, unlike guitarists which are freaking everywhere. Ignore Seth Shadows, he's an ignorant jackass.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Bass is good if you don't mind being in the background, because a good bassist adds infinite depth to a piece with out making it stand out.
eventually your going to want to learn both, but right now id say go with bass
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Try both, if you like one over the other, get it, and if you like both, do what I plan on doing and owning both. That way if someone needs a bassist, you're there, but if they need a guitarist, you're there too.