as the title simplies this thread is about me asking about buzzing on a brass instrument. now i just learned how to do it today but i can't change where i'm playing my note at, as in i can raise octaves or 5ths. now the person i learned it from told me to move my mouth inside the piece but when i do i go from getting the buzzing noise to just air. and if this is in any way important it is for a baritone trumpet, i think that's what it's called. and i only have the mouthpiece. so if anyone can help me on how to keep the buzz when trying to move up and down (i guess that's the right terminology.)

thanks to anyone who helps
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
By buzzing, do you mean what you are doing with your lips to generate the sound, or some technique to make the trumpet buzz?
I play the trumpet so I might be able to help...
look in the mirror while buzzing and then take the mouthpiece away from your mouth and see what your mouth looks like. this is called ombrochure (spelled wrong). Make the hole between your lips smaller to get higher and bigger to get lower. also tighten up your diaphragm and vocal chords to get up to higher notes. try buzzing with it to your mouth, then taking it off your lips while still buzzing, then stick it back to your mouth, all the while still buzzing. One last tip is to use faster/harder air while you buzz.

EDIT: It will be a million times easier if you have the actual instrument rather than just the mouthpiece.

Enjoy
Last edited by bfmv159 at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by NemX162
By buzzing, do you mean what you are doing with your lips to generate the sound, or some technique to make the trumpet buzz?

the first one yes, i might be calling it the wrong thing, and also does it matter that my lips are unquestionabally (<spelling) dry and chapped.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
make your lips a little tighter for higher notes and use support from your stomach
Higher tones should come from more air, not just pinching, otherwise it will be a lot harder. Just remember to play out confidently with lots of air, but don't blare. Practice changing notes the the same fingering. Like on a Bb trumpet, C G C E. Just try that and be sure to do breathing exercises if you need them. ...and don't pass out...
Quote by bfmv159
I play the trumpet so I might be able to help...
look in the mirror while buzzing and then take the mouthpiece away from your mouth and see what your mouth looks like. this is called ombrochure (spelled wrong). Make the hole between your lips smaller to get higher and bigger to get lower. also tighten up your diaphragm and vocal chords to get up to higher notes. try buzzing with it to your mouth, then taking it off your lips while still buzzing, then stick it back to your mouth, all the while still buzzing. One last tip is to use faster/harder air while you buzz.

EDIT: It will be a million times easier if you have the actual instrument rather than just the mouthpiece.

Enjoy

this
Dont mean to sound like a dick, but first of all, your post was KIND of unclear, and secondly, shouldn't your music teacher teach you this?

But the advice my music teacher gives us is "Tighten up and smile" when you want to go higher, so try that.
Quote by F8iscruel
does it matter that my lips are unquestionabally (<spelling) dry and chapped.

constantly keep chapstick on your lips for about 2-3 hours, then try again.
Basically, tighten up your lips for higher notes and loosen them for lower ones

I used to play the baritone (went through nearly every single brass instruement for that matter ), but gave up. Lost all interest in it
Use a lot of air, like more than you think is necessary. For higher notes tighten your lips and for lower notes, loosen them. Whenever I play higher (on trombone) I find myself smiling a little, try changing your expression.

This may sound stupid but it's hard to explain.
Quote by 20cdndollars
Dont mean to sound like a dick, but first of all, your post was KIND of unclear, and secondly, shouldn't your music teacher teach you this?

But the advice my music teacher gives us is "Tighten up and smile" when you want to go higher, so try that.

you don't sound like one, thanks for telling me, and im going to try doing what bfmv said, i was looking in the mirror, but i wasn't taking it away from my mouth. and i guess i'm going to need to learn to use my diaphram (this is my first insturment not based around guitar or piano so i never really needed to use my mouth) but the noise just dies when i try to go up and tightening my lips is just really awkward.

also 20cdn, no i don't take band, i was thinking about being in marching band next year so i'm learnig to play from someone else who plays the instrument, and he has a lot of stuff he (music teacher) has to oversee at the moment.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
you don't sound like one, thanks for telling me, and im going to try doing what bfmv said, i was looking in the mirror, but i wasn't taking it away from my mouth. and i guess i'm going to need to learn to use my diaphram (this is my first insturment not based around guitar or piano so i never really needed to use my mouth) but the noise just dies when i try to go up and tightening my lips is just really awkward.

also 20cdn, no i don't take band, i was thinking about being in marching band next year so i'm learnig to play from someone else who plays the instrument, and he has a lot of stuff he (music teacher) has to oversee at the moment.

Don't expect for it to come to you quickly, it took me ages before I actually became competent at it.
Quote by lp345
Basically, tighten up your lips for higher notes and loosen them for lower ones

I used to play the baritone (went through nearly every single brass instruement for that matter ), but gave up. Lost all interest in it

LOST INTEREST IN THE BARITONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

Just kidding, I play the Baritone and it's a stupid instrument.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
LOST INTEREST IN THE BARITONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

Just kidding, I play the Baritone and it's a stupid instrument.

Heh, I'd been playing for years, I was in a band and everything, I just completly lost interest and didn't enjoy it anymore

'Twas good while it lasted
Quote by lp345
Don't expect for it to come to you quickly, it took me ages before I actually became competent at it.

same here
Last edited by bfmv159 at Feb 4, 2009,
Let's see what kind of advice I can offer. Well, first off, you just started today, correct? You're not gonna sound pretty for a while. That being said, most of the people here aren't really saying much of the right thing to do. Some things are good, others... not so much. What you want to do to go higher is to support from your diaphragm, blow straight (don't tuck your lower lip under your top) and blow faster. This is the key thing. Blowing harder will NOT make you go higher in a good way. blowing faster is the way to do this. The best way to do this is to tighten the corners of your mouth and support from the diaphragm. Don't get me wrong, you're still going to need air, that's the nature of the brass instrument. That amount just gets less the higher you go. It's the opposite for lower notes. For lower notes, try slowing the air speed down. This can be done by loosening your lips and widening the gap between your lips. This is going to require MUCH more air than going up to retain a full sounding note.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Last edited by Arrived+Dparted at Feb 4, 2009,