im gonna get a humbucker for my strat so i can play some heavier stuff, and move my current bridge pickup to the middle position. i've narrowed it down between the seymour duncan jb

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-SH-4-JB-Humbucker-Pickup-300035-i1127367.gc

and the rockfield swv:

http://rockfieldpickups.com/swv.html

i think both pickups sound good and provided the sound options on the website im leanin toward the swv, but i know tons of great artists use the jb (randy rhoads, adam jones, dave mustaine used to anyway).

any help would be appreciated
Don't trust sound clips of anything,because you never know what kind of rig is being used or if the sample is being professionally mixed after the raw recording.Personally,I'd go with the JB since I have plenty of experience with it and I know what it can do.If you know how to EQ your rig right and have a good amp that pickup can cover clean to metal fairly well.Not crazy high output,but very versatile and organic,which IMO is much more desirable than just high gain capabilities.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Don't trust sound clips of anything,because you never know what kind of rig is being used or if the sample is being professionally mixed after the raw recording.Personally,I'd go with the JB since I have plenty of experience with it and I know what it can do.If you know how to EQ your rig right and have a good amp that pickup can cover clean to metal fairly well.Not crazy high output,but very versatile and organic,which IMO is much more desirable than just high gain capabilities.

AFAIK, duncan doesn't mess with the sound clips.

Anyway... Yeah, JB is what I'd go for.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
AFAIK, duncan doesn't mess with the sound clips.

Anyway... Yeah, JB is what I'd go for.

I don't care if they don't mess with sound clips,buying something crucial like a pup based on sound clips and not actually trying them out in person is a stupid move.I don't trust them as a general rule,better safe than sorry.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

rockfields is the new thing now, and seymour jb's are just classics for moderate ears that just want simplicity. get the rockfields and then tell everyone how aweosme they sound. if you're modifying your guitar, might as well stay away from the "stock" parts, since JBs come in millions of guitars stock
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
rockfields is the new thing now, and seymour jb's are just classics for moderate ears that just want simplicity. get the rockfields and then tell everyone how aweosme they sound. if you're modifying your guitar, might as well stay away from the "stock" parts, since JBs come in millions of guitars stock

You ever wonder why they come stock in so many guitars and why so many artists use them? It's because they sound good.The rockfields suck in comparison to the JB IMO.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I don't care if they don't mess with sound clips,buying something crucial like a pup based on sound clips and not actually trying them out in person is a stupid move.I don't trust them as a general rule,better safe than sorry.

How can you test them out in person? 95% of pickups don't come stock in guitars. And the ones that do aren't in your guitar. I know that Dimarzio has a pickup exchange thing. If you don't like the one you bought, you can exchange it for another at no additional cost.
Quote by Pr0gNut
You ever wonder why they come stock in so many guitars and why so many artists use them? It's because they sound good.The rockfields suck in comparison to the JB IMO.

not because they sound good, but because they sound a certain way that is versatile and neutral and appeals to majority of all guitar players. and yes, more artists use JB because those have been around for a couple minutes.

since you're saying rockfields suck, could you tell us more about your experience with them? where did you play them? what guitar? what amp were you using? why do you say that they suck? how are the JBs better?
It's all about feel
If you care to buy a JB, I've got one lying around that I took out of my les paul.
Quote by JELIFISH19
How can you test them out in person? 95% of pickups don't come stock in guitars. And the ones that do aren't in your guitar. I know that Dimarzio has a pickup exchange thing. If you don't like the one you bought, you can exchange it for another at no additional cost.

It's very simple. Go to a guitar shop (GC, Sam Ash, whatever) and ask to try out a guitar that fits your style and is also equipped with a Seymour Duncan JB pickup in the bridge. Then try it out on a fairly substantial amp to see what it sounds like in a real setting. It's not that hard, I'm sure we've all done it in the past.

Quote by hopespaul
since you're saying rockfields suck, could you tell us more about your experience with them? where did you play them? what guitar? what amp were you using? why do you say that they suck? how are the JBs better?

I can do that for you right now. Rockfield Fatass and Mafia pickups in various BC Rich and modded used models played through a Mesa Boogie at guitar center and my local shop here in Matthews. The sound was disgraceful to music and made me want to break the guitar in half. Afterwards, I switched out to play a Soloist with a JB/59 combo, through the same amp, and it sounded like Heaven on Earth. Is that good enough for you?