i friggin love robert johnson's music. i think hes a genius. wat do u think of him?

Robert Johnson threads don't go anywhere. There is no video footage, two verified photos and 24 songs. RJ's influence on blues has been minimal, until the blues revival.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Quote by ze monsta
There are thousands of threads on him in here.

I will say again what I have said before:

He wasn't influential until 50 years ago. In fact, Son House and the like were not that popular until the 60's. Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, Bessie Smith, and Blind Lemon Jefferson had a far greater importance in spreading blues. Sure, he wrote/stole many of the great standards but if he hadn't played a note I'm not sure it would have made so much difference to the state of blues. He was never popular and all the romanticism about him in the murky delta is bull****, he went as far as Canada and was often away in the North for long times.

MONSTA EDIT:

You think he wouldn't be mentioned much???

He is perhaps the biggest icon of the blues history, for the small reason that Son House told people that he must have sold his soul to the devil to be so good.

I wouldn't say I use the RJ kinda style very much, the way I play slide guitar and delta blues is far for influenced by Son House, Booker White, and Lightnin' Hopkins.

Robert Johnson wanted to be a celebrity like in nowadays terms Paris Hilton would be an good example (except she's famous for no good reason). He wasn't out to be a small time guy in a bar down in the delta, he wanted fancy suits, cars, houses and girls.
a very fantastic guitar player, some things he plays are incredible, and such a raw blues voice...he is the blues
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by ze monsta

Robert Johnson threads don't go anywhere. There is no video footage, two verified photos and 24 songs. RJ's influence on blues has been minimal, until the blues revival.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

he has more than 24 songs, he inspired muddy waters, who inspired the rolling stones which started rock n' roll.
Quote by ahindi
he has more than 24 songs, he inspired muddy waters, who inspired the rolling stones which started rock n' roll.

He has 24 songs, and he was influenced by Charlie Patton and Son House, the latter who essentially taught Muddy how to play slide.

Muddy did not start rock and roll, Rock and Roll was a product of the breakdown of race barriers in music. Rock and Roll until Black Sabbath and Deep Purple= Sped up blues played by white people. Even Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had deep roots in the blues.

Robert Johnson's recordings are great, and he is a great stepping stone for people who are just getting into delta blues, but so many people have so many misconceptions (RJ invented the blues ) that it gets a bit tiring after a while.
Last edited by imgooley at Feb 21, 2009,
Quote by imgooley
He has 24 songs, and he was influenced by Charlie Patton and Son House, the latter who essentially taught Muddy how to play slide.

Muddy did not start rock and roll, Rock and Roll was a product of the breakdown of race barriers in music. Rock and Roll until Black Sabbath and Deep Purple= Sped up blues played by white people. Even Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had deep roots in the blues.

Robert Johnson's recordings are great, and he is a great stepping stone for people who are just getting into delta blues, but so many people have so many misconceptions (RJ invented the blues ) that it gets a bit tiring after a while.

yea i dont think he was as important as some people think. there were much more important people in the blues world than him. i think the whole selling his soul and mystery of his death and the way clapton talks about him may have made him seem more important.

honestly, i dont dislike him but im not really a huge fan. im actually not a huge fan of that kind of blues. im more into the soloist type blues like clapton, SRV, rory gallagher, jeff healey, joe bonamassa, etc... i just find i cant listen to a lot of the delta type blues or else it just kinda gets boring to me. so i listen to it in smaller doses. blues purists probably hate me for that lol.