Page 1 of 2
Among my travels throughout the forum I have noticed that most UG users have a strong opinion on what songs make them want to stab someone in the neck when they're at a music store. To satisfy my curiosity I pose the questions:

What are good songs to play in Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc. when testing out new equipment? Also, what songs should be completely and utterly avoided at all costs?
Yes: anything original that you wrote. Any not-as-popular rock songs. Hell March by Frank Klepacki

No: Master of Puppets, Fade to Black, Stairway to Heaven, Iron Man, Smoke on Water, anything from Guitar Hero pretty much
I just improvise, and occasionally play a jammable song, or along with someone else I hear (ie, someone is playing the bassline from Wind Cries Marry, I'll switch to the clean channel on the amp and begin playing the chords to it, etc. ).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Bad renditions of master of puppets and sweet child o mine. I heard a kid playing a horrible SCOM and was two seconds away from just pulling the cord from the amp.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Just mess around and play some licks do some scales.. Improvise though don't just do the pentatonic or blues scales with a few bends.. Also i guess just stau away from beginner songs like smoke on the water, iron man, back in black etc.
play whatever gives you the best feel for the guitar or amp...?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Fade to Black
damn... its my favorite song, i do avoid the sweep though.

but yah TS anything you wrote, and or anything you can play good and solid, as long as it doesn't sound like you just learned it and came in to show off. i know i have learned from my mistakes when someone up showed me. and if you want to test the amps tone and how solid notes are, tapping always gets a nice ring and hold on a good amp. and don't shred unless you know your scales, random shredding with bends just make people want to rip their ears and your hands off. in my experience.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Play whatever the **** you want, stop worrying about people judging you.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
Quote by Lordbob

what he said, even noobs need to try out equipment to figure out what they like, whether the pros/wannabe-pros like it or not
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I just play scales, and my own stuff.

If I'm playing a guitar, I'm probably actually testing it, not trying to show off covers to people.
I play Bob Dylan and Weezer and Alkaline Trio and stuff.

I often freeze when I go to play stuff, cause I think, "oh god, what will people say?!" Then I play "girl from the north country" on a Roadworn Strat through an HRD and noodle a little, "Say it Ain't So" with the solo on the dirty channel. Then I play a little Petty, get a little "Runnin' Down a Dream" going, maybe some "Free Fallin'" then you play the John Mayer version, then a few country hooks... and then the metal kids abusing the BC Rich on the Line 6 laugh at me and I buy my Bad Monkey and .11's and leave crying inside.

Met a cute girl at the Peoria store playing Jaco on the Squier basses, though.

edit: I'm usually the only guy trying out the Fender and Vox amps when I'm in there, actually... what's up with that?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by area5x1
Play Yngwie
Be called a shredder with no soul
???
Profit

Really, really old and not funny.

I think heads would turn if he was playing Yngwie's stuff, regardless.

Dude, just play whatever the hell you want. Test out all the elements/aspects of your playing to get a feel for the guitar. Don't bother playing something because you feel you need to impress the 12 year olds and their dads, and to a lesser extent, the employees.

They don't care. And if they do, well, they'll just have to listen what you've decided to play. The end.

EDIT: Thomme, I see many people trying the Fenders... frontman that is. I rarely ever see anyone trying VOX, but hey, they don't know what they're missing, do they?
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

EDIT: Thomme, I see many people trying the Fenders... frontman that is. I rarely ever see anyone trying VOX, but hey, they don't know what they're missing, do they?

you mean noisy tube rattling, chimey high ends and hard to EQ boomy bass? No, most people do not realize that, because they play the muffled made in china CC2's when they do play a vox... idiots. I love my tube rattling, chimey high end, boomy hard to EQ bass made in england vox!

Actually, if I think correctly, I recall seeing people playing the Valvetronics series a lot when those first came out...
Quote by Thomme
you mean noisy tube rattling, chimey high ends and hard to EQ boomy bass? No, most people do not realize that, because they play the muffled made in china CC2's when they do play a vox... idiots. I love my tube rattling, chimey high end, boomy hard to EQ bass made in england vox!

Actually, if I think correctly, I recall seeing people playing the Valvetronics series a lot when those first came out...

I didn't find the AC15 that bad, nor the Valvetronix.

I think the lack of a mids control turned me off of VOX. Dunno...
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Really, really old and not funny.

I think heads would turn if he was playing Yngwie's stuff, regardless.

Dude, just play whatever the hell you want. Test out all the elements/aspects of your playing to get a feel for the guitar. Don't bother playing something because you feel you need to impress the 12 year olds and their dads, and to a lesser extent, the employees.

They don't care. And if they do, well, they'll just have to listen what you've decided to play. The end.

It seems you got a grudge against Yngwie =/
Quote by area5x1
It seems you got a grudge against Yngwie =/

I do not have a grudge against Yngwie. Sure, he's an a-hole at some points, but he's damn good.

I have a "pet peeve" I suppose you could call it, with stupid overused internet memes.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I didn't find the AC15 that bad, nor the Valvetronix.

I think the lack of a mids control turned me off of VOX. Dunno...

no, for the money the new CC2's are pretty decent amps, I was just being a little prick about it. I do prefer the sound of the MIE 30/6TB's over the new CC2's, the new Handwired stuff is cool, but a little rich for my blood and a little "modern" sounding compared to the older vox models.

Actually, now that I think about it... when I'm in GC, I'm really not bothered by anything that anyone's playing, I'm usually bothered by what they're playing it on, you know? Like, if you're gonna go to a guitar store to play with gear, why play Sabbath or HIM or Metalicca on a Marshall MG or Line 6 when you could do it on a Marshall JCM?
Quote by Thomme
no, for the money the new CC2's are pretty decent amps, I was just being a little prick about it. I do prefer the sound of the MIE 30/6TB's over the new CC2's, the new Handwired stuff is cool, but a little rich for my blood and a little "modern" sounding compared to the older vox models.

Actually, now that I think about it... when I'm in GC, I'm really not bothered by anything that anyone's playing, I'm usually bothered by what they're playing it on, you know? Like, if you're gonna go to a guitar store to play with gear, why play Sabbath or HIM or Metalicca on a Marshall MG or Line 6 when you could do it on a Marshall JCM?

Exactly! It's not like you're going to be reprimanded for having your pick of the litter.

The litter being a plethora of all sorts of different high and low quality amplifiers and guitars. The runts of the litter are MGs and Spyders.

... I drown the runts in the bath tub. Am I a bad person? No one seemed to notice they went missing...
Usually I just improv and throw some chords together. If I do play songs I usually play "Blossom" "Into The Sun" "Far Behind" Cover Me" by Candlebox, "X-Ray Mind" "River of Deceit" by Mad Season, ".45" "If You Only Knew" by Shinedown, or just a bunch of 3 Doors Down stuff. Basically any songs with guitar and amp tones that I like.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Exactly! It's not like you're going to be reprimanded for having your pick of the litter.

The litter being a plethora of all sorts of different high and low quality amplifiers and guitars. The runts of the litter are MGs and Spyders.

... I drown the runts in the bath tub. Am I a bad person? No one seemed to notice they went missing...

You don't drown them in your bathtub, you put them in a burlap sack and through them into the creek on the edge of the farm! Jeez... city boys.
Quote by Thomme
You don't drown them in your bathtub, you put them in a burlap sack and through them into the creek on the edge of the farm! Jeez... city boys.

Oh, well it's a far drive to the nearest creek.

BUT, you'll be pleased to hear (you sick sick person:P) that I do put the drowned ones in burlap sacks (great durability by the way) and then I take that sack and stuff it in some dumpsters behind the Arby's.
Haha, I love the responses ... like I said, I was just curious.

Personally, I play whatever I want, usually I get looked at funny anyways since I am not wearing black.

On aside note; I love my Vox VR15 ... they don't make them anymore, but I think the damn thing rocks. And I agree, why play crappy low-end crate amps when you can rock something sweet?! I've had my eye on the Egnater stack for quite some time ... too bad I'm a poor college kid!!
Hahaha I was waiting for you to come in your thread and see what a macabre conversation this had become.

Who cares if people look at 'cha though, right? Even if you screw up, just brush it off... nobody's perfect...
Most people in GC are surprised to see someone not hit the distortion switch. I usually play a few SRV licks, and Slow Dancing in a Burning Room intro just for the ladies ;oo

Seriously, clean is good

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by DotSick
Most people in GC are surprised to see someone not hit the distortion switch. I usually play a few SRV licks, and Slow Dancing in a Burning Room intro just for the ladies ;oo

Seriously, clean is good

I gotta learn that one for the ladies. For some reason, I only catch the cougars with Petty and hippies with Dylan and weirdos with Jaco.

And clean is not good when you "meedley meedley meedley"
Quote by DotSick

Seriously, clean is good

I actuallty prefer trying out equipment on the clean channel! That way I don't draw too much attention to myself. That is if I'm on the floor testing out stuff.

If I wanted to turn it up a bit, test out the gain, then I go to the test room so I don't draw even more attention to myself, and I don't disturb or drown out others.
Quote by Thomme
I gotta learn that one for the ladies. For some reason, I only catch the cougars with Petty and hippies with Dylan and weirdos with Jaco.

And clean is not good when you "meedley meedley meedley"

Oh god yes. that gets very annoying, forgot about that part of clean xD. Not as bad as "power chord power chord power chord" but still :p. Dunno I really test out an amp on the clean channel to hear how it really sounds, then quickly hit the gain switch, play some overdriven blues, and go back to wooing the girls that check in your backpacks in the front xD. God I love NYC.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Lordbob

agreed
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by JimmyBanks6
what he said, even noobs need to try out equipment to figure out what they like, whether the pros/wannabe-pros like it or not

agreed x2
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
some nirvana, dream on and sweet emotion, maybe a little ac/dc it just depends really
I'm loving the responses; has anyone actually confronted anyone in playing something they didn't like?

I'll have to admit, when I first saw this whole "idea" of there being black-listed songs, I was shocked. I've never noticed what other people were playing unless they were ridiculously bad/good or too loud.

Also; does anyone else love the "free picks" scattered around with the GC logo on them!?
I confronted a kid for completely butchering the solo in Fade to Black on a custom Black Beauty ($4500 guitar, get off me) with the amp volume n gain all on ten. I came back five minutes later and the kid had snapped two of the strings on the damn thing. I went ****in ballistic.

I play whatever the hell I feel like playing, because I know I won't mess up. Once you build up enough composure, there's no problem in playing whatever you want, because it'll always sound good.

I usually use the free picks as ammo when i'm throwing **** at the drunk guy in there. I only use my own pick when I go in.
play stuff that you can play well?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I play In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry when I test guitars out that and A Tout Le Monde mainly because they are the only two songs i know how to play right through
Prog flavored juice ... You tried it yet?

Shameless plot to promote zee band.
Shed 31
i get a good reaction from little kids when i bust out with "are you dead yet" by bodom...the solo is fun too....
ESP Alexi 600 and Father Marshall.............nuff said
Page 1 of 2