Alright, I've been listening to a bunch of old 1960's psychedelia lately, and frankly I just can't get the wah tone I love with my Crybaby. Long story short, after getting a tele I was planning to upgrade my wah to a Vox V847A, but in the garage my band practices in, no outlets are within power adapter range from where I always set up my amp, so I prize battery life in my pedals. Anyone who owns a V847A, how is it on battery life?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
You won't get the tone out of those either. The battery should last awhile if you unplug the cable out of the input when not playing. Get a Teese Picture Wah if you want those tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^uhh im pretty sure you WILL get the tones of the 60's (ie clapton, hendrix, and page, if used correctly). i have the vox wah. ive had the V847, 2 of them actually, now i have the V847A. the batteries last ages. the thing you need to worry about is the durability of those bad boys. ive had two break on me(same problem for both times.) jus be reasonably gentle with em, youll be fine
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
You can get the 60's tone out of the Vox, but the Teese is alot more vocal and sexy.

Just make sure you unplug the cable from the input after you use it.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
^No, compared to the Teese especially, it will not get you very close. A friend owns one and we tried it on a bunch of different amps and it sounded pretty bad for the price, not much better than the GCB-95. If you're gonna have to buy 2, just get the Teese, it won't break and sounds way better. Teese knows his wahs and is dedicated to putting out the best stuff he can, while the Vox is mass manufactured with no care whatsoever. The Vox is not made to the exact specs of the original 60s wahs, no matter what they tell you. They may use the same schematic, but they do not use the original parts, while Geoffrey Teese does. The bypass tone blows too.

EDIT: Also, the Teese comes with licensed Fuzz Friendly technology, so it's gonna sound good with fuzz, while the Vox will not.

EDIT again: That was aimed at the guy two up from me.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Feb 4, 2009,
Erm, I can't exactly afford the Teese. =/ I'm poor, hence why I have a block Phase 90, not a script reissue, as well as why I don't have an Am. Std strat or any of that kind of stuff.

Quote by mmolteratx
^No, compared to the Teese especially, it will not get you very close. A friend owns one and we tried it on a bunch of different amps and it sounded pretty bad for the price, not much better than the GCB-95. If you're gonna have to buy 2, just get the Teese, it won't break and sounds way better. Teese knows his wahs and is dedicated to putting out the best stuff he can, while the Vox is mass manufactured with no care whatsoever. The Vox is not made to the exact specs of the original 60s wahs, no matter what they tell you. They may use the same schematic, but they do not use the original parts, while Geoffrey Teese does. The bypass tone blows too.

EDIT: Also, the Teese comes with licensed Fuzz Friendly technology, so it's gonna sound good with fuzz, while the Vox will not.

EDIT again: That was aimed at the guy two up from me.

Yeah the teese will blow your wah out of the water, I've owned 3 Teese wah's.

Save up for wah heaven.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
The V847a is hardly an upgrade. Same circuit practically, same sound pretty much. The old V847 was even closer to the Original (GCB-85) Crybaby. Why so many people think there is a vast difference between the two I don't know.

To answer your original question though. The battery in my wah has lasted a good two months now. Just unplug your guitar from the input when you're done with it as mentioned.
OP: Do you really pick your pedals based upon battery life?
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
@TMP; Is it worth the $100 more? Because I find $200 on a pedal hard to justify.

@WLL; Okay then, could you recommend a different wah?

@VT; It's one thing I factor in. I buy for tone first, durability second, battery life third.

Quote by necrosis1193
@TMP; Is it worth the $100 more? Because I find $200 on a pedal hard to justify.

@WLL; Okay then, could you recommend a different wah?

@VT; It's one thing I factor in. I buy for tone first, durability second, battery life third.

You can find them used for $150, and yes its justified, you won't need to buy another wah...ever
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Are you any good with a soldering iron? Modding your current wah is always an option too. Otherwise I would just save up and go boutique (RMC, Fulltone, etc...). I agree it's a lot of money but it's about the only way to get a decent wah these days without modding or going vintage. Remember you can always sell your current wah too so that would give you a little extra cash towards it.
@TMP; Hmm...will look into it then.

@WLL; I'm crap with a soldering iron. The only two in my family who aren't are addicts(one's a stoner and the other drinks and smokes), so I don't trust their hands. As for boutique, I'd prefer not to as I have a vendetta against boutique fanatics, but I suppose if I must I will.

dude, don't drag on the stoners. If they are good with an iron, and they are willing to do the job, give them the wah.
The simpleton's rig:
Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
Homemade Fuzz pedal "the chainsaw"
Peavey Valveking 212.
Normally I don't, but he's been twitchy due to some sort of new thing he's been trying lately, I don't want someone who's got a twitch working with something of mine with a soldering iron.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 4, 2009,