i'm building a custom bass, and i've been given a fender jazz body and wanna put some really punchy/growly jazz pick ups, i wanna get a black sabbath/ led zeppelin tone outta them, i heard about seymour duncan being good, any ideas?
Last edited by Jagermeisterguy at Feb 4, 2009,
Duncan hots. SJB-2's. They're fantastic. Dimarzio makes some hot Jazzes as well, they're supposed to be good. For ultimate attack: SJB-3's. They are the insanity of the bass world.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Dimarzio ultra jazz pickups are amazing

very responsive, quiet, and deep as hell. totally changes the jazz bass into a complete powerhouse in the low end section.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
DiMarzio ultra-jazz pickups are also not a direct retrofit for a Fender Jazz bass, so if you buy them you will have to rout out the body. Not that that sounds like a big deal becaus you're building a bass, but just be aware. Anyway, if it was me I wouldn't settle for anything other than noiseless. Also, in my opinion Duncan jazz pickups are garbage for what you need. I have them and they're not terrible (although I don't have an SJB, I have tried them) but wouldn't say they'd be what you're looking for.

With that said, DiMarzio (if you want to rouit) would be a good option, but I'd almost suggest going for a more old school approach, which seems to be the sound you're looking to nail, and look into the Fender Samarium Cobalt boiseless pickups, or if you're willing to spend money to go for the gold, noiseless Nordstrands. They'll both get you closer than Duncans to what you want methinks.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Feb 5, 2009,
Nordstrands will do exactly that, im going to put a set into my jazz.

You can also get a split coil in the shape of a single coil from nordstrand, so you can have a P&J bass if you want. This is presuming that your putting alot of money into your bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
IT depends on the dimarzio model though, My dimarzios are rich and full, but they're buttery smooth, not especially punchy.

edit* I have the dp123s, which I guess the advertise as keeping "the crunchy, focused sound of the traditional Fender Jazz Bass tone while boosting gain and response"

I find them to not really be "crunchy" they have incredibly high headroom, and just sound really full--they are articulate and responsive, but I don't know if they're moreso than any other jazz pup.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
DiMarzio ultra-jazz pickups are also not a direct retrofit for a Fender Jazz bass, so if you buy them you will have to rout out the body. Not that that sounds like a big deal becaus you're building a bass, but just be aware. Anyway, if it was me I wouldn't settle for anything other than noiseless. Also, in my opinion Duncan jazz pickups are garbage for what you need. I have them and they're not terrible (although I don't have an SJB, I have tried them) but wouldn't say they'd be what you're looking for.

With that said, DiMarzio (if you want to rouit) would be a good option, but I'd almost suggest going for a more old school approach, which seems to be the sound you're looking to nail, and look into the Fender Samarium Cobalt boiseless pickups, or if you're willing to spend money to go for the gold, noiseless Nordstrands. They'll both get you closer than Duncans to what you want methinks.

how much would those nordstands go for?
i just ordered the dimarzio ultra jazz's. and i asked the service department if they would fit in my MIM. they said yes.

so i went with em. i'm taking it to a shop for them to get installed so i'm ok with putting a little more money to get em put in right.
I play bass!