Page 1 of 2
I am a guitarist who plays mainly electric guitars. I play some acoustic, but I am not as skilled at the acoustic guitar as I am on my electrics. I am looking for songs to play that sound very impressive and complicated, but in fact are relatively easy to play. I have been playing guitar for about 4 years, but have only played SERIOUSLY for one year. I am able to play decently tough songs like Snow (Hey Oh) by red hot chilli peppers, but I am looking for songs similar to that to wow people with.

Im not really looking for metal or hard rock here, just nice, smooth, mostly clean or a little bit crunchy.

Thanks
Quote by k7apex
People to Listen to in this thread:
k7apex
Ch0
Carrot
TOMMYB22
GlitterPaws
Non guitar players are easily impressed, it doesn't take much.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread

This I played a simple chord progression and blues shuffle for this girl 2 weeks ago and she thought I was an awesome player
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Haha, I have friends that have been playing guitar for about a year, and I want to play stuff that is impressive to them as well.

And by Crossroads, do you mean that song that is played in the movie during the crossroads duel between karate kid and steve vai?
Quote by k7apex
k7apex
Ch0
Carrot
TOMMYB22
GlitterPaws
Mechanix

The solo is a bunch of pentatonics, very easy to play fast, and very impressive to the untrained ear.
I cum blood.

but in all seriousness, any popular song pretty much impresses people. I played One by metallica on my friends guitar at a party and some chick said, "hey thats that song from guitar hero, your really good"
Back in Black and Smoke on the Water are wayyyyy to simple. Even people who have picked up the guitar once have learned to play Smoke on the water.

And Area5x1... Mechanix is the song name or the band name?
Quote by k7apex
k7apex
Ch0
Carrot
TOMMYB22
GlitterPaws
Quote by GlitterPaws
Back in Black and Smoke on the Water are wayyyyy to simple. Even people who have picked up the guitar once have learned to play Smoke on the water.

Its a megadeth song if I remember right
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Why play to solely impress?

What's easy to us might not be easy to you. Just pick a song you like and people should be "impressed" that you're playing what you wanna play for you, and to a lesser extent, them.

(They just happen to be in the same room with you and just happened to hear you)
tales by wolfmother,

although hard for a true beginner, not hard for a person with 2-3 months under tehre belt and it will have ppl goin wtf thats a sick riff man! deff check it out(for a beginner it will be hard to hit the correct notes as it jumps up the neck but it sounds sick and minimul practice is needed to get it good)
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

What's easy to us might not be easy to you. Just pick a song you like and people should be "impressed" that you're playing what you wanna play for you, and to a lesser extent, them.

(They just happen to be in the same room with you and just happened to hear you)

vagina.
Quote by GlitterPaws
I am a guitarist who plays mainly electric guitars. I play some acoustic, but I am not as skilled at the acoustic guitar as I am on my electrics. I am looking for songs to play that sound very impressive and complicated, but in fact are relatively easy to play. I have been playing guitar for about 4 years, but have only played SERIOUSLY for one year. I am able to play decently tough songs like Snow (Hey Oh) by red hot chilli peppers, but I am looking for songs similar to that to wow people with.

Im not really looking for metal or hard rock here, just nice, smooth, mostly clean or a little bit crunchy.

Thanks

HAHA poser alert!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

I mean I definitely started playing guitar for myself, because I thought it was very cool and I really wanted to be able to play songs and create music.

I am just creating this topic for if I am in a room with friends, or over at someone's house and they have a guitar:

Me: Cool guitar.

Them: Thanks, I dont play it much, do you play guitar?

Me: Yeah, Im allright.

Them: Play something. (along the lines of that, +/- foreplay)

Me: *bust out with something like Snow by RHCP, or the cool solo from Six by All that remains (maybe sweet child o mine but I have played that so much and amateur guitarists all play that song, so I have less honor for it)

Ya get what I mean? I still play for myself, I just want cool songs for simple "showoffs", even though it kills me inside a little bit to say that.
Quote by k7apex
k7apex
Ch0
Carrot
TOMMYB22
GlitterPaws
Quote by GlitterPaws

It is a song by Megadeth.

If you're having too much difficulty, you might want to try The Four Horsemen by Metallica, which is the same song except slower
Quote by JimmyBanks6
tales by wolfmother,

although hard for a true beginner, not hard for a person with 2-3 months under tehre belt and it will have ppl goin wtf thats a sick riff man! deff check it out(for a beginner it will be hard to hit the correct notes as it jumps up the neck but it sounds sick and minimul practice is needed to get it good)

+1 Gotta love Wolfmother.
If your listener can't play guitar, they'll be impressed by just about anything.

One time before I started playing guitar, my friend was jamming on his guitar. I told him to play something easy that I could possibly learn as a first song. He played Brain Stew (Green Day) for me and I thought he was amazing. lol
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Quote by HIM%(^
vagina.

The man does have a point, I guess. That would be the only reason... and even then, that'd better not be someone's only reason.

But yeah, TS, I get your drift. You wanna be able to play something mildy entertaining if you're asked to. Just don't SOLELY play to impress, unless you've got some grand scheme that we don't understand and is still in its developmental stage.
Do you mean impress non-guitar players? Just play something popular like Canon Rock or Cliffs of Dover. But no matter what you pick, pick something that you can play fluently. If you have to sacrifice impressiveness of the piece for "fluentness", then do that.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
I guess "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is a good one, it sounds hard, but it's just a bend that makes it seem like you're playing fast.

Quote by HIM%(^
"hey thats that song from guitar hero, your really good"

Anne - John Frusciante
Energy - The Apples in Stereo

But if you're trying to impress someone that knows nothing about guitar, or good music. You should learn Lollipop by Framing Hanley

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Just about anything really to nonguitarists or musicians

I seriously just went like 10-12 on the ADG strings and through in a pinch harmonic on the last note one time at school and a buncha kids were all like ZOMGGGG so yeah if it sounds good and isnt repetitive then most people should find it awesome
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Arzon
Do you mean impress non-guitar players? Just play something popular like Canon Rock or Cliffs of Dover. But no matter what you pick, pick something that you can play fluently. If you have to sacrifice impressiveness of the piece for "fluentness", then do that.

LOL the dude wants something simple LOL
u deserve to be slapped
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by GlitterPaws
Haha, I have friends that have been playing guitar for about a year, and I want to play stuff that is impressive to them as well.

And by Crossroads, do you mean that song that is played in the movie during the crossroads duel between karate kid and steve vai?

he means the bone thugs song.

no seriously though, he probably means the cream song(or was it eric claptons solo career), either way he probably means that. if so, its a good suggestion

my suggestions are YYZ and Spirit of the Radio by Rush and the solo to them bones by alice in chains(im trying to learn that one at the moment but i suck )

edit: I just realized that you would like something easy but sounds hard, those first two aren't easy, but if you can play snow you can probably handle them.

search and destroy by the stooges is another suggestion
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Feb 7, 2009,
I find that things like Thunderstruck (by AC/DC) and Joker and the Thief (by Wolfmother) are a lot easier than they sound. Stuff with a lot of open string legato parts.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Ironman, one of if not the most iconic metal riffs ever. With about 2 months playing under my belt I picked up the song (without solo) in an hour or so. On top of all of that it's a bad ass song.

Edit: The first minute or so of Raining blood is pretty easy and awesome sounding, just play up 'til the cluster **** shred on the low E.
Last edited by Shabadoo at May 16, 2009,
Seriously.. it doesn't take much. Something well known like "Back in Black" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" is impressing to non-guitar players. Also, you know electric and not much acoustic after 4 years?

Dooood!
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Quote by Firebread

this...

I played a few open chords and a pentatonic warm-up piece and a girl thought I was god...

EDIT: and i meant to spell out "god". it's not a typo for "good"
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I think the crossroads they speak of is the eric clapton song..... you know, the one the guitar festival in texas is named after?????? simple yet impressive bluesey rock
~Defiant~
Most mainstream songs, Before the Lobotomy on 21st Century breakdown turns alot of heads if you can sing-a-long with it.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
I love threads like this.

Underneath, really, all we play guitar for is the chicks.

If you practice "Recovery" by "Funeral for a Friend" lots it sounds AWESOME, also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSBe2rHTAzU

Playing that really impresses people. Good tapping exercise too.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Aurex
I think the crossroads they speak of is the eric clapton song..... you know, the one the guitar festival in texas is named after?????? simple yet impressive bluesey rock

No that'd be the Robert Johnson song... that Clapton covered.

And just play the tapping part in Eruption, the reaction of the musically ignorant is hilarious.
Last edited by stratman7 at May 16, 2009,
Play "Plug In Baby" by Muse. It once got me the attention of a girl.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by GlitterPaws
I mean I definitely started playing guitar for myself, because I thought it was very cool and I really wanted to be able to play songs and create music.

I am just creating this topic for if I am in a room with friends, or over at someone's house and they have a guitar:

Me: Cool guitar.

Them: Thanks, I dont play it much, do you play guitar?

Me: Yeah, Im allright.

Them: Play something. (along the lines of that, +/- foreplay)

Me: *bust out with something like Snow by RHCP, or the cool solo from Six by All that remains (maybe sweet child o mine but I have played that so much and amateur guitarists all play that song, so I have less honor for it)

Ya get what I mean? I still play for myself, I just want cool songs for simple "showoffs", even though it kills me inside a little bit to say that.

Fool, play Snow, by RHCP.
That song sounds sick, but it's really easy XD
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
To me every song is complicated when first approached, unless it's a straightforward song. I had some tough time trying to learn supposedly easy songs. Don't let people knock you down, you're not going to be a guitar god until you lived as a mortal.

Everytime I go to a guitar shop I hear people with their distortion way up shredding back and forth. So I sit down and bust out some easy **** like, Under the bridge or Tool - Hush and they'll look at me like I am ****ing up their mojo but I just smile and enjoy the sounds I am creating.

Alot of guitarists are egomaniacs and will spit on you, but keep at it and you'll get there, then you can be the dick.
Last edited by ryantp at May 17, 2009,
Page 1 of 2