Got a danelectro fish n chips today, and loving it. I've been having fun messing with it but i heard it can be good for tightening up your sounds and it how it was good for metal and i'm havin a bit of trouble... anyone have a general idea of what i should be doing(other than just scooping mids) for a metalcore/chugga sound (think a7x rhythm) and Killswitch engage?

thanks in advanced
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by SchecterZV
Make a smiley face. If that makes sense.

I play Avenged Sevenfold a lot, it gets me close.

AKA scooping mids.

Should i just boost bass and treble or bring down the mids?

won't these give me the same effect just louder?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Boost your treble and bass frequencies and scoop your mids.

The thing I always found fun about pedals is that getting a pedal gives you a key into a whole new realm of sonic possibilities with your guitar. The best part of that experience is going off into new territory and figuring out something yourself or, by doing so, come up with a new sound that you love.

That's why I'm always bothered by "how do I sound like X with my gear" threads.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
You could set your VK for a chugging sound, and use the EQ for a lead sound, if you were so inclined.
You don't really need to bring down the mids, just boost them a little bit. I prefer to have near max treble, a little bit less bass, with only a little bit of mids.

Out of 10, I like
9-10/10 treble
5-8/10 bass
2-4/10 mids
^I totally see what you're coming from and with the 15 minutes before my brother went to sleep that i had with the pedal i was going nuts and satisfying all but one sound- tight metal.. And scooped mids isn't exactly tight metal really, i know guitarists from a7x don't scoop their mids at all.

edit- imicius thats not a bad idea, but i just want better chugga on my VK right now because when i want to play lead i have to adjust reverb and gain and a bunch of other stuff and might as well just move my hand over a couple inches and adjust EQ at the same time... maybe when i'm jamming w/ my friends / gigging though
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Feb 4, 2009,
Well, there are alot better chugga-chugga tones out there than a7x... Synyster Gates literally has the WORST tone of any professional musician in my opinion...

Try doing a smiley-face with someone who has bell's palsy, just drop the treble frequencies a bit. And don't do it extreme, as in maximize everything. lower your mids to about 1/4, treble to 5/8-ish, and bass to 6-7/8.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Quote by DaddyBarbs
Got a danelectro fish n chips today, and loving it. I've been having fun messing with it but i heard it can be good for tightening up your sounds and it how it was good for metal and i'm havin a bit of trouble... anyone have a general idea of what i should be doing(other than just scooping mids) for a metalcore/chugga sound (think a7x rhythm) and Killswitch engage?

thanks in advanced

Smiley face for that loose, thin, nastly scooped sound that some bands use (some bands do it better), but try a frown instead

"You can't play Slayer with a ****in smile!"
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores