Anyone have any tips for melodic dictation.

by ear:
I know my intervals ascending and descending.. (with in an octave)
I know all the basic scales ascending and descending (Maj, M.M., N.M., H.M., Dorian, Mixo.)

but when it comes to a simple melody i cant seem to get it..
like if i heard mary had a little lamb i wouldn't be able to write it out.. given the key and time signature. (well maybe a little more difficult)

i've been working at it for quite some time and i haven't been getting anywhere.

what i have been doing for extra practice was making a few simple melodies and put them on my iPod with the title in solfege so i can here how the melody moves.
also i've been working on sight singing solfege daily.

anything else?
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by victoryaloy

what i have been doing for extra practice was making a few simple melodies and put them on my iPod with the title in solfege so i can here how the melody moves.
also i've been working on sight singing solfege daily.

anything else?

Just keep doing this.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Just keep doing this.

CT

I agree, this is pretty much what we do in my Sight singing class. I always make sure to do some interval drills at least twice a day. Doesn't take long and its benificial.
Easy as that.

The only way to get better at transcribing songs by ear is if you keep trying. Try to figure out the first note and then determine whether or not the next is higher, lower, or the same. It's just trial and error and everyone faces it when they start out. The more you do it then the more accustomed your ear gets to the notes.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
Try to hear the tonic in your head and relate things back to it - find "obvious notes" (like leading tones / tonics / dominants / anything on a strong beat etc) as markers and fill in the ones in between.

practice it a lot.