Wondering if I could get any advice on this. I'm not really in a band anymore, so I'm thinking of setting up a basic home-studio kinda thing.

I want the ability to compose and record my own music (I have a bass and a guitar). I want to buy an 'okay' MIDI keyboard to use with the setup, along with a vocal mic. I have some experience with audio tracking programs (not too good with them yet though ). I have a pretty decent modern PC (though only with an inbuilt sound card), so system requirements shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My budget is around NZ$1000 max, which is around US$510 (too little?). I want to go all digital (ie through the PC). I've been looking at the Toneport UX2 for the guitar, bass and mic, but I'm not too sure about it because I don't think it takes a MIDI input, and people say the high-gain's sound muddy. Any decent alternatives? I was thinking of buying a proper soundcard, running guitar, mic and MIDI keyboard through it, but then I'm not sure about what amp simulation program I should run. Keep in mind I will also need some kind of virtual drummer program.

So, any suggestions for what I should get? Please only consider hardware prices in the $1000 budget, but make software suggestions as well. If I need to spend more, feel free to say so
Last edited by Scout1011 at Feb 4, 2009,
The line 6 products are probably your best bet here. Depending on how high your gains are, are how muddy you're getting. Nothing is too bad though, depends if you really pay attention to it or not. Nothing is perfect
this is what i use to record myself and my bands

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-MultiMix-8-USB-2-0-8-Channel-Mixer-801473-i1322417.gc

its a pretty good buy and itll leave cash in your pocket to
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Quote by saitenslayer
this is what i use to record myself and my bands

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-MultiMix-8-USB-2-0-8-Channel-Mixer-801473-i1322417.gc

its a pretty good buy and itll leave cash in your pocket to

Looks pretty decent. It's a mixer though, so I'm assuming I would have to run guitar/bass signal through an amp simultator in Cubase or w/e, because I don't currently have any actual amp. Also, would a MIDI keyboard work through it so you can assign it keys etc in the audio editor?
Quote by ambush_xx
Buy a decent all round audio/midi interface, with multiple instrument and midi input. No point in going for a line6 product with just one input.
And buy a small MIDi keyboard. like this one
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAXIOM25

Thanks for the keyboard suggestion, that's the exact kinda thing I want. But if not a Line 6 interface, what should I get? Anything you can recommend that has all those inputs?
I got an Edirol (Cakewalk rebadged) UA-25 midi/audio box bundled with Sonar for $200 (the Edirol goes for $250 on it's own).

Its basically a second sound card that you can plug mic's, guitars, midi instuments as well as monitors and headphones into

Buying the bundle qualified me for upgrade pricing to the latest version of Sonar (v8) with all the bells and whistles for $200. That would have cost me around $650.

Check out the m-audio midi stuff. They usually bundle their controllers with something useful (Ableton Live). Usually those will get you a good upgrade price if you get into it.
Quote by 667
I got an Edirol (Cakewalk rebadged) UA-25 midi/audio box bundled with Sonar for $200 (the Edirol goes for $250 on it's own).

Its basically a second sound card that you can plug mic's, guitars, midi instuments as well as monitors and headphones into

Buying the bundle qualified me for upgrade pricing to the latest version of Sonar (v8) with all the bells and whistles for $200. That would have cost me around $650.

Check out the m-audio midi stuff. They usually bundle their controllers with something useful (Ableton Live). Usually those will get you a good upgrade price if you get into it.

I see, thanks. What do you use to get your guitar tone though?
Quote by Scout1011
I see, thanks. What do you use to get your guitar tone though?

A few things. Sonar came with Guitar Rig 3. It's ok. The guitar goes straight into the Edirol box and I can use that on it's own, or if I want to record it, I'll use it as a plug-in in Sonar.

I mostly use my Digitech RP 250 out to the Edirol - or the direct out (xlr type) from the back of my tube amp. The Edirol has a "Hi Z" input switch specifically for a guitar signal.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 5, 2009,