Hey guys I'm new to here. I heard through a good friend about this place and decided to consult the opinions of other players before a BIG decision.

I currently own a Mesa Dual Rectifier and a few stomboxes for distortion and etc.
I am in need of a guitar for all sorts of play, mainly metal. I am buying from guitarcenter, which I know really limits my options, but it's all that's nearby and my only option. My budget may climb to $600, which I know again REALLY limits my options, but I am afraid I cannot spare any more money than this.

Please help me as I need one soon. Thank you!
Quote by LabradorBassist
Go to GC and try out guitars until you find the one that sounds and feels the best for you.

*Fixed*

Check out some Ibanez, and Jackson has a few good models in your price range as well
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Well for some reason they get mad at me if I just sit and play like 8 guitars but I don't buy. If I'm a paying customer then what the **** are they yelling at? And I can't tell tone because they won't let me use the amps unless I'm really good, and there's always like 50 people in there and I don't wanna mess up.! (Yeah I'm a pussy...) But in all seriousness, I really cannot pick one because I like all of them, and change my favorite everytime I walk in there. I have no idea how one could be better than the other when I like them all!
Well if your planning on buying the shouldnt be that way but if you just come in all the time and play around and never buy anything that can get on their nerves.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Well if your planning on buying the shouldnt be that way but if you just come in all the time and play around and never buy anything that can get on their nerves.

Well I have bought stuff from them. And always the exact same store. I've bought strings, all of my stompboxes, my amp(used), and my first two guitars!
So they've seen me before and I've spent quite a bit of money there, so they should appreciate my business.

So back on topic, the Jackson RR3 is the shizznazz! My favorite so far, but I don't know yet.
The dude in there said we could work something out for my budget too. Said he'd make it an even 600 if I bought the floor model, which by the way was perfect, not a single issue. It probably had never been touch, from what I could tell by playing it.

When I played it, the neck was so smooth,
I felt like I was giving Jesus a hand job.

But I'm still not sure.
Quote by rebelboi
Well I have bought stuff from them. And always the exact same store. I've bought strings, all of my stompboxes, my amp(used), and my first two guitars!
So they've seen me before and I've spent quite a bit of money there, so they should appreciate my business.

So back on topic, the Jackson RR3 is the shizznazz! My favorite so far, but I don't know yet.
The dude in there said we could work something out for my budget too. Said he'd make it an even 600 if I bought the floor model, which by the way was perfect, not a single issue. It probably had never been touch, from what I could tell by playing it.

When I played it, the neck was so smooth,
I felt like I was giving Jesus a hand job.

But I'm still not sure.

They should respect you then maybe they're just dicks idk.

Anyway yeah the Jackson RR's are amazing guitars I dont own one but I want one.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
What kind of features and specs are you looking for? I could suggest guitars all day but without knowing your preferences I'd just be taking shots in the dark basically.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I don't know. And by the way never ask them for advice on a guitar, because they'll just want to suggest the most expensive one, they don't care how much it sucks, nor do they care about you, they just want your money!

I'll check it out later, probably this weekend.
In the meanwhile I would still be open to suggestions from people who have a good guitar and experience that they would recommend.
Quote by rebelboi
I don't know. And by the way never ask them for advice on a guitar, because they'll just want to suggest the most expensive one, they don't care how much it sucks, nor do they care about you, they just want your money!

I'll check it out later, probably this weekend.
In the meanwhile I would still be open to suggestions from people who have a good guitar and experience that they would recommend.

For metal I would recommend an Ibanez, Jackson, Or ESP/LTD.

I felt like I actually needed to help cause my other posts didnt help you much
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Well....without anything on your preferences I honestly can't recommend anything specific.I think you should nail down what you want in and from the guitar before asking for suggestions and so on.

Do you want a fixed bridge or a trem?

Do you want active or passive pickups?

What pickup configuration do you want?

Do you want a bolt on,set neck,or neck thru instrument?

What kind of neck contour do you want?

All of these things should be considered when searching for a new guitar.Of course,there are plenty more,but these are just some of the basics.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yeah but if I'm not mistaken and out of all the times I've been in there, does GC carry ESP/LTD?
Other than that, I will personally never buy an Ibanez until they finally put quality buckers in. Even though they're only 600-700 bucks, the ones I'm looking at, the pups are inferior to anything in that category. If I ever do buy an Ibanez, I will definitely replace the pups with EMG 81/85, but it probably won't happen.

Now Jacksons I can go with.
No Epi's that are good in my range?
If I may, here's some recommendations:

Jackson DXMG Dinky
LTD EX-400
LTD MH-400
BC Rich Warlock IT
BC Rich Kerry King Wartribe

Guitars in your price that I'd recommend for metal are slim to none.
Try eBay?

I got a $900 (back in 1990) guitar for $300, and it was 18 years old at the time, mind you. So back then, $900 was ~$1470.68 in 2008 money.
So yeah, eBay is your friend.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Damn, you're short $150 for a C-1 Hellraiser. Jackson DK2M fits your budget,

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Also, this:

BC Rich Gunslinger Retro

Couldn't find it on Musicians' Friend lol.
I think it retails for $499.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Pr0gNut
Well....without anything on your preferences I honestly can't recommend anything specific.I think you should nail down what you want in and from the guitar before asking for suggestions and so on.

Do you want a fixed bridge or a trem?

Do you want active or passive pickups?

What pickup configuration do you want?

Do you want a bolt on,set neck,or neck thru instrument?

What kind of neck contour do you want?

All of these things should be considered when searching for a new guitar.Of course,there are plenty more,but these are just some of the basics.

A trem would be nice, especially a floyd.
Um pickups it doesn't matter, a long as they're quality.
The neck doesn't matter, and I'm pretty much open to anything else.
Quote by rebelboi

I'd suggest looking on the used market like on Ebay and so on.For 600 dollars you can net a nice guitar off there like a Jackson,Schecter,Ibanez,or even a Carvin.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I'd suggest looking on the used market like on Ebay and so on.For 600 dollars you can net a nice guitar off there like a Jackson,Schecter,Ibanez,or even a Carvin.

I am VERY reluctant about buying online like Ebay.
Maybe local things like craigslist, but I never had a good feeling about buying from someone I know nothing about, not trying the guitar thus no knowing if its a ripoff, and other things.
Quote by rebelboi

Jackson DXMG

Jackson Lo-Pro Lisenced Floyd (Not a bad LFR)
EMG-HZ (No, not active EMGs, but not as bad as some things you'd get in your price range.)

BC Rich Kerry King Wartribe

Kahler Trem
BC Rich BDSM (Not too bad)

BC Rich Gunslinger Retro

Original Floyd Rose
DiMarzio Super Distortion
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by rebelboi
I am VERY reluctant about buying online like Ebay.
Maybe local things like craigslist, but I never had a good feeling about buying from someone I know nothing about, not trying the guitar thus no knowing if its a ripoff, and other things.

It isn't bad if you know what to look for,find a reputable seller,and shop like an intelligent consumer.I've saved thousands buying most of my gear used because I know what signs to look for,check serial numbers,ask questions,and buy from people with very high if not perfect feedback.There is a risk,but IMO it's worth it.I got a 1600 dollar amp for 900 because it had a ding in the tolex that took me 2 minutes to fix,so I enjoy the used market haha.

^ Hm that Jackson looks real nice. But I don't like B.C. Rich because although I play metal, I really explore all the ranges such as Pink Floyd and blues like SRV, and B.C. Rich aren't very versatile when it comes to those.
Last edited by rebelboi at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by rebelboi
^ Hm that Jackson looks real nice. But I am don't like B.C. Rich because although I play metal, I really explore all the ranges such as Pink Floyd and blues like SRV, and B.C. Rich aren't very versatile when it comes to those.

Lol not really.
Maybe not for SRV, but I can play Pink Floyd on my BC Rich.
It's not so much the guitar, but the amp/pedals you're using that sculpts your tone. Although, the guitar does make a difference.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Well yeah and the fact I have a Mesa means I'm gonna notice anything that doesn't fit or sound right to me.

Also I have played a similar shaped B.C. Rich ad I'll say it is the most uncomfortable thing ever! I did not know how one could play like that! I'm really picky about it, but to me that's a good thing.
What about the Gunslinger Retro?
That's the same shape as the DXMG.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Yeah but one pickup???
But yellow is my favorite color... but still one pickup???
You can get the Gunslinger Retro Blade, which is bright red, with a DiMarzio Super Distortion Single Coil neck pickup.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Well like I said I can only buy from GC, so if it's in there I'll definitely try it.

But like I mentioned before, are there no Epi's to be recommended?
The Epis with trems are out of your price range, if I recall.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by rebelboi
Yeah but if I'm not mistaken and out of all the times I've been in there, does GC carry ESP/LTD?
Other than that, I will personally never buy an Ibanez until they finally put quality buckers in. Even though they're only 600-700 bucks, the ones I'm looking at, the pups are inferior to anything in that category. If I ever do buy an Ibanez, I will definitely replace the pups with EMG 81/85, but it probably won't happen.

Now Jacksons I can go with.
No Epi's that are good in my range?

cheap pups in an ibanez are the point...

why pay more to have that jb/jazz when you really want active?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."