I always knew this theory but I wana know if this is pretty uh... I don't know how to say, let's say I always knew it but somehow I don't know if it's possible or something like that.

As long as the scale matches with the bass note or the chord progression , you can use for example the bass note is E so you can either use E minor or E major on it?

Well that's modal interchange... or wait, it's "Pitch axis" kinda, isn't it? E as the bassline so you can either use on it E Ionian, aeolian, phrygian, etc (modes not in order, just randomly saying)

I'm just asking because I was studying scarified by paul gilbert and yeah, the chorus... or verse, don't know, well , after the intro arghhh looks pretty much like it. But it looks like he's not using the mode but the parrallel scale (E major -> E minor, etc) and I think that's why it sounds pretty "classic" or melancholic.

I feel stupid now, I'm making a lot of threads these days. Well, most of times when I ask those kind of question, I get it right but I'm just not sure of my conclusions =/
If it sounds good, it is good, so panic if you play something that sounds good but makes no sense from a theoretical standpoint.

However, you name whatever you play in relation to the root note, yes. It's common in blues and blues-rock to mix the major pentatonic and blues scales over a progression, something like E major penatonic and E blues over E7 E7 E7 E7 A7 A7 E7 E7 B7 A7 E7 B7. If you were to play a straight E mixolydian lick over that, however, you wouldn't call it A major since E is the root of that progression.

There are a few scenarios where you would play an Fm pentatonic over an E7 chord for a quick chromatic flurry and it would be okay to call it F rather than E, but that's pure chromaticism where you're intentionally deviating from the root. (Ignore this if it confuses you.)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If it sounds good, it is good, so panic if you play something that sounds good but makes no sense from a theoretical standpoint.

However, you name whatever you play in relation to the root note, yes. It's common in blues and blues-rock to mix the major pentatonic and blues scales over a progression, something like E major penatonic and E blues over E7 E7 E7 E7 A7 A7 E7 E7 B7 A7 E7 B7. If you were to play a straight E mixolydian lick over that, however, you wouldn't call it A major since E is the root of that progression.

There are a few scenarios where you would play an Fm pentatonic over an E7 chord for a quick chromatic flurry and it would be okay to call it F rather than E, but that's pure chromaticism where you're intentionally deviating from the root. (Ignore this if it confuses you.)

Mmm well yeah that's pretty much what I was saying. Thanks a lot, however, there's still something bothering me, but only someone who has analyzed the song scarified could know it kinda... It's about the "classic" sound effect in the part I was talking about in my first post, I have to find out if he's really just using the minor or major of the bass note or he's using some other mode...maybe phrygian.

But I still can find that myself though! Thanks a lot :P
Quote by bangoodcharlote
What notes is he playing?

You don't need to tell me the answer, though I can help if you do, but that's how you figure out what scale he's using.

It's alright, I'll find all this by myself, anyway there's too much notes and a bunch of modulations kinda :P