I play an Epiphone Les Paul standard through a Bugera 333. I play metal and heavy metal stuff (Tool, Metallica, A7x) but more importantly I'm trying to learn to shred. The 3 tones I'm really after are:
-a shreddy lead tone, where each note is fairly smooth in the bridge pickup and pinch harmonics still flow (I kind of got something not too shabby when I put my wah pedal in the foward position and left it, but that was through a line 6 spider 3 15w),
-a heavy/scooped mid rhythm gain tone also in bridge position,
-and lastly when I'm messing around or playing bridge portions of songs, I like a nice punchy and sparkly clean, pretty much only for the split or neck positions.

My stock setup as is does a decent job, but there is plenty of grounds for improvement, and I'm wondering which route to take first. These are my plans in order, tell me what you think:
-New pickups: One of the hotrails off of guitarfetish.com in the bridge and a jazzy or lower output humbucker in neck.
-EQ Pedal: Probably a boss 7band? I'm not sure how big of a problem my current pickups are and if theyre stopping me from effectively eqing with my amp, but if they don't solve the problem, then I'll prolly get an EQ for preamp changes.
-Bad monkey: I think? Probably my last step if the past two things don't solve most-all of my problems. Is this a good order?
Last edited by Watterboy at Feb 4, 2009,
Well it is, because it's what you should buy. If then after you have some extra cash, i would pick up an Ibanez Tubescreamer. It cuts right through the mix for solos and adds a nice snarling punch to your rhythm.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Well, considering most Epis have poor pickups I'd get that sorted first (can't help you on good pups, I'm not familiar with buckers). Afterwords you can decide if you need to do anything else.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
EQ, then worry about w/e else you want
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
EQ, then worry about w/e else you want

I disagree, an EQ would just be a bandage on the real problem (which is probably the pups)
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Damnit you guys. Pups or EQ is a tough choice... I figured I should replace the pups first because A. some of the ones on Guitarfetish look like they suit my styles well and B. my eq may see minimal improvement if the signal is **** to begin with.. No?
hey how is the 333? comparing to the triple x?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Pickups. I know your problem, I have an Epi LP standard. They're really muddy and dull.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm looking at the pickups on Guitarfetish.com. Are they any good? For the bridge I was looking at the GFS Black Powerrails or the GFS Crunchy rails. Not sure which one I should go with. And as for the Neck, are Dream 90s generally what I should be looking at? The output looks pretty med-low, which is good.
Pickups in my opinion
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Guitar Fetish Crunchy or Power Rails ($32-38 Shipped)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ ($30-35 shipped)
Digitech Bad Monkey($49 shipped on ebay)

Do all three, in that order.

The MXR 10band eq is nice, but cost as much as all other items put together. A Tube screamer is nice, but its double the price of the bad monkey. If you're looking at Guitarfetish then you obviously want to save money. I happen to like Guitarfetish stuff( except their wilkinson tremolo ) I have their lil killers in my strat, some random humbuckers in my epi, and im thinking of the crunchy rails for my Ibanez
Quote by whoswt
EQ pedal OD then pick ups, pick ups should be fine tunning

+1

MXR 10-band is the best imo...especially if you catch one cheap on ebay like I did
Pups all the way. You could get by without a EQ pedal. Get pups. Try Dimarzio breed and evolution, screaming demon, etc.
why you would want a scooped tone is hard to understand, but i have a thing for mids, so i'll just leave it be.
i would say pups last. like people have said, its fine-tuning your sound. you can test drive od and eq
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Who in the world "fine tunes" their sound with pickups? A pickup switch for a guitar can completely change it's tone, there is nothing subtle about it. If anything, an EQ is fine tuning.
Quote by al112987
Who in the world "fine tunes" their sound with pickups? A pickup switch for a guitar can completely change it's tone, there is nothing subtle about it. If anything, an EQ is fine tuning.

yeah, but you can get a drastic change with an EQ as well, and the intensity with which new pickups change your tone depends somewhat on the rest of your gear.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
The drastic change with an EQ pedal is simply a more exacting way of fiddling with an onboard EQ. If you consider switching pickups as more of a "fine tuning" than EQ'ing your amp, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The intensity of which ANYTHING changes your tone depends on the rest of your gear. Saying pickups don't sound different through bad amps is a load of crock. Obviously a $300-$400 set of Bareknuckles or WCRs or Lollars is not going to make a Frontman sound good, but it's going to sound different. Just as a EQ or overdrive will not make a POS amp sound good. But they have their effects
Quote by al112987
The drastic change with an EQ pedal is simply a more exacting way of fiddling with an onboard EQ. If you consider switching pickups as more of a "fine tuning" than EQ'ing your amp, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The intensity of which ANYTHING changes your tone depends on the rest of your gear. Saying pickups don't sound different through bad amps is a load of crock. Obviously a $300-$400 set of Bareknuckles or WCRs or Lollars is not going to make a Frontman sound good, but it's going to sound different. Just as a EQ or overdrive will not make a POS amp sound good. But they have their effects

Yeah! Just like puttinga tube screamer or bad monkey on a Line 6 spider III 15...... Still sounded like ass, just different type of ass
pickups. epi ones suck, and they are probably wired badly
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
New pickups, definitely. Your problem is muddy epi stock pickups.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I'm not playing through a Spider III 15w just so you know. I have a Bugera 333-212 (which Ill be getting back from my shop soon). It's definitly not a $3,000 par quality amp, but I think it has a **** load of more potential than playing through it with just my Epi. I was thinking about getting a new guitar (maybe an HSS strat or an ibanez), but I do like the feel of my Epi and its my first legit guitar and deserves a new set of pickups. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the crunchy powerrails in the bridge, but I want something more med-low output in the neck cause I need punchy and sparkly cleans as well. I still don't know which pickup to get for that. As for EQ, that will definitly come right after. The fish and chips sounds looks pretty good.