Hey guys.

I have a Crate V100H amp, and I'm looking for a pedal for distortion, since the Crate is a low gain amp, and I'm sick of listening to my Digital Digitech Metal Master that I've had for years.

I've been looking through some tube pedals, but it's hard to find out what they're suitable for. So I've come to you!

I'm hoping to stick to a tube sound, so I'm really looking for a tube pedal if possible, but If I can get away with an SS analog, that'd be just fine too!

I like the ultra smooth, searing, tone of Killswitch Engage on the "Alive or Just Breathing" album (yes I know they use Framus on that album, but I'm giving you an idea of my tastes.)
I also like the In Flames tone from "The Jester Race."
I also like a grindy sounding distortion that isn't harsh.

So basically, I'm looking for a high gain metal pedal/preamp that isn't digital sounding, preferably tube.

My budget is $100-200 (I know it's small for tube pedals, so I'm willing to go somewhat over if it's the right thing for me).

Thank-you.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Feb 4, 2009,
Ibanez tubescreamer? I'm not sure if it's a distortion pedal, it's more of an Overdrive.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
Ibanez tubescreamer? I'm not sure if it's a distortion pedal, it's more of an Overdrive.

Yeah, it's an overdrive, I have a bad monkey for my overdrive (and I have overdrive and boost on the amp).
I'm looking for full on metal distortion, thanks. =]
You really don't need tube. I think the word you're looking for is analog. Tube pedals are rare, boutique pedals that are difficult to maintain and very expensive.

Example:
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay - a great digital pedal for $180.
MXR Carbon Copy - a great analog delay for $230
Fulltone Tube Tape Echo - $1300.

Analog pedals have a warm, natural sound to them because you're getting a current to flow through transistors and such, not converting it to a digital signal.

Look at an Ibanez TS or a Fulltone OCD/Fulldrive. Both are great analog OD/distortions.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
IMO, most of the readily available "tube" disto pedals are overrated (with the exception of the Demonizer.

The Tubescreamer won't do what he wants...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Damage-Control-Demonizer-Tube-Distortion-Preamp-Pedal-154700-i1124837.gc

Worth it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Visual-Sound-V2-Series-V2JH-Jekyll-and-Hyde-Overdrive-and-Distortion-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal-104624929-i1388387.gc

Worth it.

Also, Vox Satchurator...http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Joe-Satriani-Satchurator-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-104850946-i1398839.gc

Whatever you do, don't get a Blackstar tube pedal. They're bad.

Quote by VisionaryTics
You really don't need tube. I think the word you're looking for is analog. Tube pedals are rare, boutique pedals that are difficult to maintain and very expensive.

Example:
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay - a great digital pedal for $180.
MXR Carbon Copy - a great analog delay for $230
Fulltone Tube Tape Echo - $1300.

Analog pedals have a warm, natural sound to them because you're getting a current to flow through transistors and such, not converting it to a digital signal.

Look at an Ibanez TS or a Fulltone OCD/Fulldrive. Both are great analog OD/distortions.

No, tube pedals are readily available these days. They aren't quite the same as the boutique ones, but still....

And both the TS and OCD are exclusively ODs. They won't take his amp to metal territory.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 4, 2009,
Thanks for the advice on the blackstar, I was actually thinking of that one.
The Demonizer was also favorable, but it's a little pricey, but I suppose I'll go there if I have to.
Would the satch pedal be suitable for modern metal/metalcore/deathmetal? I've always pictured it as a more peppy distortion.

Edit:
Also, same kind of wonder on teh Jekyll and hyde, I always pictures it as a more classic distortion pedal.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Whatever you do, don't get a Blackstar tube pedal. They're bad.

i tried a blackstar tube pedal today and i liked it a lot
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389
i tried a blackstar tube pedal today and i liked it a lot

They're noisy and fairly one-dimensional, but, of course, it all boils down to opinion.
My point is that there are many better pedals for what he wants.

...and I think the general consensus around here is that the Blackstars are weak.

Don't judge me.
Do you know what the main difference is between the Demonizer and the Solid Metal to make it worth $100 more?
I couldn't really tell from the description, it's rather vauge.
If I'm going to spend $200, I'd like to make sure saving $100 is worth it in the long run.

Edit:
Also, is there any knowledge of these:

http://www.music123.com/AMT-Electronics-TMG-Tube-Magnum-Valve-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-156620-i1170915.Music123

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/AMT-Electronics-TPL-Tube-Platinum-Valve-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=156619
The Demonizer is more versatile and designed to act as a bit more of a preamp, rather than just a pedal.

Never heard of either of the others.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 4, 2009,
Try to find an H&K Tube Factor used.
The factor 2 setting is super smooth. Although I never use it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i think that the blackstar pedals ARE good. they may be a bit fiddly with the ISF knob. i have not heard the distx though so that might just be the lemon in the range.
The blackstart distx is bloody terrific.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Thanks for the suggestion on the H&K. I love H&K's sound, and I hadn't seen that pedal yet, so I'll definitely add that one to my scope.

Seems like the consensus on the blackstar is love/hate.
I guess I'll have to try one to find out myself, but after finding out there's a H&K pedal, the running might be tough. :P

I'll see if I can try the Damage Control's at guitar center this weekend, but I don't know where I can find a H&K Tube factor or a Blackstar to try.
The blackstar isn't really favorable, but if some people like it and some don't, I'll have to just leave it to me own testing, or not even bother.

Edit:
Apparently Guitar center does have the blackstar HT-Dist, but for some reason if you search for it, it always takes you to the "Artisan" amps.

Any idea if they carry the tube factor and that's just being omitted by the search function too?
Last edited by -Collapse- at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by -Collapse-
Do you know what the main difference is between the Demonizer and the Solid Metal to make it worth $100 more?
I couldn't really tell from the description, it's rather vauge.
If I'm going to spend $200, I'd like to make sure saving $100 is worth it in the long run.

Edit:
Also, is there any knowledge of these:

http://www.music123.com/AMT-Electronics-TMG-Tube-Magnum-Valve-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-156620-i1170915.Music123

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/AMT-Electronics-TPL-Tube-Platinum-Valve-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=156619

Find some demos at youtube. You should get an idea from that.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I tested the H&G Tube Factor 2 extensively some months ago, and it is pretty versatile, can get brutal, but it was noisy and from what I read and heard, replacing the tube isn't very easy.
Yeah, it is a tad noisy, but in the way i'm using it, it doesn't add anything too noticeable.
Yeah, replacing the tube is WAYYY too much trouble, but if you get the process down well, it's not too bad.
And replacing the tube does help change the tone a lot.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Radial has some awesome ones. The Hot British sounds really good, IMO, and if it's too much ($200), they have SS versions of all of their pedals as well.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/overdrive-distortion-fuzz-boost-guitar-effects-pedals?N=100001+338518&Ntk=All&Ntt=radial&Nty=1

http://www.tonebone.com/
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 5, 2009,
I think the way this is going, I've expanded my budget to 300.

I checked out some reviews and such on the Tube Factor, and I've heard is does hard rock gain at best, and I really need the more extreme end.
Correct me if those reviews are wrong though.
I can't seem to find any demos of it that demonstrate max gain.

I listened to some demos of the solid metal and demonizer, and decided that the demonizer would be worth the extra money if I were to pick one of the two.

Just checked out the Twin Tube Mayhem, sounds really good, up there with the demonizer, but not quite as smooth, but it'd save me $70.

Yet to check out the tonebone, there's so many I wouldn't know where to start. O.o
Quote by -Collapse-
Yet to check out the tonebone, there's so many I wouldn't know where to start. O.o

If you're looking for high gain, the Hot British and Plexitube.

I don't know if I should be jealous or not...there's some awesome stuff in this thread, but you get to pick only one.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
If you're looking for high gain, the Hot British and Plexitube.

I don't know if I should be jealous or not...there's some awesome stuff in this thread, but you get to pick only one.

Yeah, I thought you guys would be able to narrow it down for me, but you're just giving me even more good choices. haha.