My friend has a Epi LP Standard. His musical role model is Slash. He is going to upgrade to slash's signature humbuckers, and is offering to sell me his stock humbuckers for $50 per humbucker, a total of $100. I plan on putting them on a 335 copy I have. Do you think buying these stock humbuckers would be a better deal than just buying a brand new set of humbuckers. His LP is at most 3 years old, and his humbuckers sound good. Please give me some advice on whether I should buy these humbuckers or not.
offer him $50 for both of them, that's about as much as i'd pay tbh. if you have the money to spend i'd opt for something better though.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I'd say $40 for both. For a little more than $50, you can get a good set off of GFS.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Yeah, rip off! $100 for both?

At that price, you could get a solid good humbucker for your guitar! Chances are there's gonna be little to no improvement if you're swapping stock for stock in this case.

I say keep your hundred bucks and go looking elsewhere. Or as Thomme said, $40 TOPS.
No way!! You can get a set of new seymore duncans off MF for 30 bucks more. Maybe if he would sell em to you for 20 bucks each.
Thanks, I'll decline his offer, but I probably may be able to get him to give them to me because he is probably going to need somebody, with decent electronics skills, to connect & solder the pickup wires. I may be able to get them that way.
Currently trying to find a band that can use me. ¿Y Tu?
Quote by Tackleberry
No way!! You can get a set of new seymore duncans off MF for 30 bucks more. Maybe if he would sell em to you for 20 bucks each.

don't be absurd, duncans are around 70-120 a peice for HB's.

TS, if you want new pickups for cheap that will improve your tone:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html
Any suggestions for pickups that I could buy? Willing to burn up to $200 total for the pickups. I don't need the pickups for anything, but I would like to have humbuckers for my 40 year old hollowbody.
What model of hollowbody, what tone you goin' for and what amp you playin' through? High volume situations?

edit: it better not be that Lyle in your profile, those things are sweet. I gotta go hit up the bar for the time being, I'll get back to you on advice on pickups/amps. But from the looks of your profile, you'd benefit more from a new amp than a set of pickups.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
What model of hollowbody, what tone you goin' for and what amp you playin' through? High volume situations?

edit: it better not be that Lyle in your profile, those things are sweet. I gotta go hit up the bar for the time being, I'll get back to you on advice on pickups/amps. But from the looks of your profile, you'd benefit more from a new amp than a set of pickups.

I see your point, thanks.
your getting ripped off bro, for 30 dollars more you could get a set of seymour duncans
Agreed. I can get a whole metal style guitar HSH with locking trem for £49 That's about $70 and the pups are probably as good.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

yeah i have a pair of epi humbuckers from my SG and they sound great but if you wanna pay for them with that much id save a lil more and get some SD for sure. theyr like 130 bux or somethin. depends on your amp tho and its totally your decision
Quote by Lurcher
Agreed. I can get a whole metal style guitar HSH with locking trem for £49 That's about $70 and the pups are probably as good.

No, you can't - not anything that's worth owning anyway.

Well, not unless you buy things from smackheads in pubs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
epiphone stock pickups are aweful. seeing as how the whole lot is made in Korea (apparently, i asked about epiphone in a gutiar store the other day) the quality is bound to be dodgy.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

For thomme, seymore duncan hot rodded SH-2/SH-4 set 130.95 and the distortion mayhem pair of SH-6 same price on MF. So I guess my quote wasnt so absurd as it seemed.

On another note the EVH pickup pops up as no4 best seller on MF when looking for pickups. Funny how its a best seller even tho theres only going to 500 of em. I hope Im not the only 1 who thinks 400$ for a pickup is a bit much. I know everybody likes money but eddie is going a little to far unless hes competing with zakk for who can get their name on the most overpriced accessories. It says EVH so Im sure people will be lined up to get em.
Quote by Tackleberry
For thomme, seymore duncan hot rodded SH-2/SH-4 set 130.95 and the distortion mayhem pair of SH-6 same price on MF. So I guess my quote wasnt so absurd as it seemed.

you were $100.95 shy of the price, before shipping and tax.
Not sure of your math there your saying the pickups are 230$. It says very clearly SET of SH-2/SH-4 humbuckers $130.95. Any order over 99$ has free shipping at musicians friend and there only tax if you live in MO, UT, IN, and WA. So if I ordered them today they would cost 130.95 that would be all of 30.95 more then the TS's friend wanted for a SET of epi stock humbuckers.
Quote by Tackleberry
Not sure of your math there your saying the pickups are 230$. It says very clearly SET of SH-2/SH-4 humbuckers $130.95. Any order over 99$ has free shipping at musicians friend and there only tax if you live in MO, UT, IN, and WA. So if I ordered them today they would cost 130.95 that would be all of 30.95 more then the TS's friend wanted for a SET of epi stock humbuckers.

oh, I'm sorry, my mistake. I thought you meant that they were only 50 dollars for a set of Seymour duncans. My bad. Sorry.
Lol.
Stock Epiphone pickups cost about $2.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I'll sell you mine for 35 each
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by jmag
Lol.
Stock Epiphone pickups cost about $2.

Pretty much, they aren't the best of the batch. My pickups don't have to bad of microphonics issues as some Epi's I have played.
You can get Epi pups on Ebay for as low as $29.99 a set. $50.00 ea is way too much you can find actual Gibson pups used for that price.

John
No prob thomme we all misread stuff from time to time. I have 2 sets of stock epis laying around. 1 set out of a standard model another set out of a LP100. The 1s out of the LP100 are way to hot for being cheap pickups Ive been using em for parts to experiment on rewinding. The 1s out of the standard I have used from time to time in a project guitar until I had the cash to buy something better. They arent bad pickups there are just much better to be had, I certainly wouldnt pay a whole for a set of em. I actually have a box of various pickups taken out of other guitars, theres some out of a squire, a set out of a cheap knock off strat, a pair of EMG 89s and a pair of EMG selects.