For about a year now, I've been gassing for a much better guitar, and after playing on a Epiphone SG special, I've decided to go into the market to find a much better guitar.

To start, I'm looking for something in the range of 1000$, maybe 100$ more or less. I don't like the pointy superstrat shapes of Ibanez and Jackson or pointy metal guitars either (Razorbacks, Warriors, Xiphos, Warlock etc.).

I'll probably play a wide spectrum of music, mostly in the genre of Hard Rock. To name a few, I'd play anything from The Beatles to Zeppelin to The Foo Fighters to Metallica and everything in between. I won't get heavier than thrash metal or anything lighter than the blues or The Beatles.

tl:dr?- I'm looking for a flexible guitar for about 1000$ that isn't a pointy metal guitar.

Any suggestions?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
You can go Fender American Strat HSS, so you have the humbucker for the rock, 2 single coils for clean, and you also get a very nice American made guitar. They run about $1000. If you like the SG, you can even get a Gibson SG.
I didn't like the neck heavy-ness of the SG, but I'll look into it.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Schecter stiletto classic if you want a locking trem and a versatile set of active pups.I'd suggest more but I need to know more about your preferences,amp,and so on/

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Well I don't really have any preferences to trem/no trem or scale length or body shape, but as long as it doesn't have extremely pointy horns then I'll be fine.

It's gonna be played through a Vox VT30.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Well the schecter is a 25 1/2" scale neck thru instrument with an ebony board, a ghoto FR trem,maple burl wings,and an EMG 81tw/SA/SA pup set I believe.You can split the 81 in the bridge into a single coil to get strat like tones and better cleans out of it and the two SA single coils offer a lot of versatility.I played one and got great clean and blues tones all the way to death metal out of it.The neck is pretty thin and comfortable,but it is a tad bit heavy.

Here's a pic:

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Feb 4, 2009,
High end Epi LP? Switch out the neck pickup for something w/ better cleans, and you've got all the rock you need in the bridge.

Or go with a strat and put a hotrail in the bridge if you dont wanna go the HSS route.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I love the MIA Standard Strat. It's about that price.

You could HSS it as mentioned. It would serve you well, but you'll probably need the humbucker in the bridge.
Maybe a Schecter C-1 Classic? I suggest this guitar alot.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Ibanez RG1570?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Another vote for American Standard Strat. HSS would probably be your best bet for the genres you listed.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Pr0gNut
Well the schecter is a 25 1/2" scale neck thru instrument with an ebony board, a ghoto FR trem,maple burl wings,and an EMG 81tw/SA/SA pup set I believe.You can split the 81 in the bridge into a single coil to get strat like tones and better cleans out of it and the two SA single coils offer a lot of versatility.I played one and got great clean and blues tones all the way to death metal out of it.The neck is pretty thin and comfortable,but it is a tad bit heavy.

Here's a pic:

Thats a great pup combo. Like you said, very versatile. I have the same but the neck pup is an S for a tele-ish sound, and they are so quiet they blow my mind. The 81tw came out just after I bought the 81 or I would have got that too. I think those are both S in that guitar, the logos look silver.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by Tempoe
Thats a great pup combo. Like you said, very versatile. I have the same but the neck one is an S for a tele sound. I think those are both S in that guitar, the logo looks silver.

It really is.It dispels the myth that actives can only do distortion.I'm not sure if they're S or SA models,but MF said SA so I'm going based on that.IMO that is the best production model guitar that Schecter makes today,the only thing that comes close is the Loomis 7 string.

That Stilleto is pretty damn sexy... That would probably work well, I just find Floyds to be pains in the ass. I really do not like them. But then again that guitar is just so sexy.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by JF-SH1
That Stilleto is pretty damn sexy... That would probably work well, I just find Floyds to be pains in the ass. I really do not like them. But then again that guitar is just so sexy.

I'd just get a tremol-no for like 70 bucks and block it off if was an issue.The stock pic I posted really doesn't show the level of figure in the burl maple wings.In real life the figure is really intense and looks amazing.

I doubt TS is looking for a tremolo equipped guitar. Maybe TS would like to edit his first post to clarify this.

I think TS would also like to narrow the guitars down to a particular shape to make it easier.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
theres crap loads of guitars you could get with $1000, some better than others but the best idea is to shop around a little until you find what you want in a guitar.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by cohen5250
I doubt TS is looking for a tremolo equipped guitar. Maybe TS would like to edit his first post to clarify this.

I think TS would also like to narrow the guitars down to a particular shape to make it easier.

I'm not looking for a shape in particular.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Another nod for American Strat. They are oozing with quality. Single coil works if you have good pedals, otherwise the HSS for hard rock.
Quote by Silver-spear94
theres crap loads of guitars you could get with $1000, some better than others but the best idea is to shop around a little until you find what you want in a guitar.

Well, as this guy said, there are a crapload of guitars for $1,000 and under that fit your specifications. But of course, all you said was "It can't have pointy horns!" Can you do anything else to narrow it down? Say, scale length or vibrato bar/ no vibrato bar, or of course, body material???
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Last edited by cohen5250 at Feb 6, 2009,
if you dont like the ibanez superstrats why not go with the Ibanez S Series of guitars, they look more fluid and though similar to a superstrat shape it isnt too pointy.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Quote by cohen5250
Well, as this guy said, there are a crapload of guitars for $1,000 and under that fit your specifications. But of course, all you said was "It can't have pointy horns!" Can you do anything else to narrow it down? Say, scale length or vibrato bar/ no vibrato bar, or of course, body material???

The thing about buying something that's way less than 1000$, is that you might be skimping out on quality of that guitar (with a few exceptions *cough Gibson cough*) but I'm looking for a workhorse guitar. Something that will be good enough to gig with in the near future and of course flexibility is important too.

I'm not too picky on features, but I despise double-locking trems because of their tuning issues (I like to change tunings a lot.) and anything else that's high-maintenence. Of course, The Stilleto has A Gotoh FR, but I'm willing to overlook that If It plays nice and feels nice.

Too bad there's no Schecters on the island that I know of.

Any other suggestions?
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
If you can't shorten the range, I think you need to put more thought into it. Just my 2 cents.

And there was a Schecter S-Series at the Easy Music near Sam's Club, dude. It looked like sex (mahogany body, Stratish-shape, mirror finish, ebony fretboard, stipper inlay at the 12th) but it didn't sound great for metal and the 6th string was buzzing like crazy.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
American strat
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Go for a PRS custom 24? PRS are like, the middle of Fender and Les Paul in terms of sound. They sound pretty amazing :]
Quote by cohen5250
If you can't shorten the range, I think you need to put more thought into it. Just my 2 cents.

And there was a Schecter S-Series at the Easy Music near Sam's Club, dude. It looked like sex (mahogany body, Stratish-shape, mirror finish, ebony fretboard, stipper inlay at the 12th) but it didn't sound great for metal and the 6th string was buzzing like crazy.

What was the price tag on this guitar?

EDIT: Are The Singles on the Strat hot enough for, say, Van Halen or Nirvana? Or will I have to swap them out?
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Last edited by wolfy808 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by wolfy808
What was the price tag on this guitar?

EDIT: Are The Singles on the Strat hot enough for, say, Van Halen or Nirvana? Or will I have to swap them out?

The price tag was $400, so you can probably shoot for something better.

Also, doesn't you're Vox amp that has a model for Nirvana?
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Last edited by cohen5250 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by cohen5250
The price tag was $400, so you can probably shoot for something better.

Also, doesn't you're Vox amp that has a model for Nirvana?

No, I have the old ghetto version.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks