Poll: Effects station or a small-side Marshall?
Poll Options
View poll results: Effects station or a small-side Marshall?
Effects station
3 50%
Marshall
3 50%
Voters: 6.
hey guys. I'm lookin to get a better (guns n roses-y/general hard rock) sound for my Gibson SG special. Right now I;ve got a tiny little amp with gain, volume, bass, and treble. So Ive decided I have two choices for a sound improvement:

1. I could get one of those sick $200 effects stations to use with my amp (while its on clean). The bonuses here are the fact that i'd get a huge number of effects and an attached pedal that I could switch from wah to distortion or whatever. THe problem here is I'm not sure if my tiny amp will handle all the effects well or not.

2. Or, for about the same price, I could get a smallish Marshall amp. It would definitely give me a better sound, and have various effects including reverb and middle and such.

So, which one would you get? Do you know if a pathetic amp such as mine would handle an effects station? I'm leaning towards the effects station.

oh and im jsut saying effects station cuz im not sure what the actual term for them is.
Quote by abdulalhazred

Quote by RPBiohazard

Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote by Garou1911
^
What's your budget? Do you gig? No small marshall amps, please. They're not very good value.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
the "smallish marshall" isn't going to be any better than your current amp because i'm assuming you're talking about the MG series.

what kind of budget are you working with ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
its a multi effects pedal. Get one of those over any amp in that price range. Small amps handle them fine. Look at Boss, Zoom, and Line 6 pods.
For 200 dollars you can't really get anything that is gonna blow you away in either compartment. However I feel that a good amp is gonna do you better, particularly if you want that classic hard rock sound. An effects station is good if you want to experiment, but with a better amp you will have better tone, which means that you will actually want to hear yourself play, making it more likely that you will play more.

AMP
i enjoy head
the marshall is a 30w MGD03FX or soemthing.
Quote by abdulalhazred

Quote by RPBiohazard

Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote by Garou1911
^
Save up and get a vypyr or a cube (I prefer the vypyr, but whatever, your choice). Or, save up more and get a nice tube combo (I assume you'd like a Marshall).
I'd say go with a pod or an RP and get decent speakers for your computer for now.
I'd consider a Vox DA 20 or a Roland cube 30.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD