I'd run it after.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I'd run it after.

I don't know. Try it both. I'd say before.
THe distortion is going to clip the signal, then then compressor is going to squash that... so the distortion is getting clipped again.. it wont sound right.

If it's before, it's evening out a clean signal. perfect for the distortion. That's why it sound fat when the distortion hits it.
It depends on the compressor, but 90% of the time, it should go in front of the distortion.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Try it in your loop, too...you might like it.

EDIT: having read your gear list, I'll just go ahead and tell you to not bother.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Unintentional hijack but what the hell does a compressor even do? I've played around with tons of pedals but never a compressor, it just never occurred to me to ask.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
From the stickies:
Compression -
Compression is a device that makes every note come out at the same volume. In other words, It softens the notes you play hard, and amplifies the notes you play softly. The effect also adds a lot of sustain to the notes.

Don't judge me.
Quote by soul_power
Unintentional hijack but what the hell does a compressor even do? I've played around with tons of pedals but never a compressor, it just never occurred to me to ask.

It clips the signal before it distorts, then increases the rest of the signal - softer gets a little louder, etc. so you end up with a more even, clean and peaked signal.
Quote by theoreticmusic
From the stickies:
Compression -
Compression is a device that makes every note come out at the same volume. In other words, It softens the notes you play hard, an amplifies the notes you play softly. The effect also adds a lot of sustain to the notes.

Well kind of. It's more like It'll cut for example 20% off the top and make that the 100% line... then everything else gets scaled up accoringly keeping the same relative waveform. You still keep some volume dynamic depending on how hard you play.
get a new amp dude...a compressor over your spider will sound **** no matter hwere you put it...save up the money and buy something better or you ll always be stuck with a **** tone.
Quote by georgakis187
get a new amp dude...a compressor over your spider will sound **** no matter hwere you put it...save up the money and buy something better or you ll always be stuck with a **** tone.

+1
There''s so many more usefull things you could buy.
Quote by darkwolf291
yeah...i know i need a new amp..it was a birthday present so i didnt have much control oer it...im saving up for a marshall 1/2 stack right now
I'm scared to ask what Marshall Half Stack you saving up for...
404: Sig not found.
Quote by darkwolf291
yeah...i know i need a new amp..it was a birthday present so i didnt have much control oer it...im saving up for a marshall 1/2 stack right now

You can go ahead and pass on that MG.

Don't judge me.
You want the compressor to be the first pedal your signal hits unless you have a tuner. A compressor will reduce the peaks of a signal but also amplifies low ones. Which means it amplifies everything including noise. The least amount of noise will be when your signal first leaves your guitar. If you put it after a several other pedals all the hiss and noise they produce will be amplified. And you usually arent going to need a whole lot of compression when using distortion as distortion tends to compress by signal clipping. For the TS your pretty much wasting time using pedals with your spider amp. And saving up for an equally crappy MG is not going to do a whole lot of good.
Quote by darkwolf291
well..about the new amp..im working on fixing up a Sunn beta lead

What Marshall stack were you looking at?
Quote by darkwolf291
the jvm with the 1960v cab

Thank gosh it's not the MG.

That being said, you can still get better amps for the price, but it's all preference.
Quote by darkwolf291
yeah...but im prob gonna be happy with the beta lead

Yup. When is that going to be finished?
I always place it before the distortion.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I use one of CMAT's compressors. I run it before everything. I tried it after my Satchurator but as someone up there posted it kind of doubled up on what the distortion did to the signal and it sounded rubbish.

At the moment I am still using an Ibanez TB65R amp, which has no FX loop. But I am changing it to a MESA Boogie 5:50 Express, so I will then put the comp into the FX loop and see how it goes.
generally.. if you're using compression in your signal chain at all, it best to put it before just about everything else.

otherwise if you're recording, most compression (if much at all) is done after the track is laid down.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.