I recently heard about pulling 2 power tubes to cause the amp to break up at lower volume levels, somewhat like how an attenuator works. I was wondering if this works and if it does, does it cause damage to the transformer? Also, if i pull two tubes, would i have to change the ohms setting on my amp?

Thanks.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
It doesn't work particularly well, but it does lower the volume slightly.
You can minimize extra transformer strain by halving the impedance on the amp. So if the selector was at 16, set it to 8. Of course you could use a lower impedance cab as well if you have one.
well i understand that it doesnt actually cut back on volume but i heard that it causes the amp to break up at a lower volume (i guess the amp is being pushed harder?). I guess i could always try it and then see what it sounds like and then change it back after. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause massive damage to my amp.
Quote by csn00b
Make sure you pull the correct two tubes though.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
yeah i know it has to be the two outer ones or the two inside ones.
Quote by csn00b
oh okay. thanks for the help guys.
Quote by csn00b
Also, if the way colin worded the ohms thing confused you, just make sure the cab's ohm are double the amps, ie amp at 4, cab at 8.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Also, if the way colin worded the ohms thing confused you, just make sure the cab's ohm are double the amps, ie amp at 4, cab at 8.
Not sure about that wording either.
When pulling two power tubes, you should set the amp to one ohm value lower than the cab you're plugged into.
Examples:
1. Set the amp to 8 ohms if using a 16 ohm cab.
2. Set the amp to 4 ohms if using a 8 ohm cab.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I pulled 2 tubes on both of my 100W amps a long time ago, & it works fine. Like Colin said, it really doesn't make that much difference, but there is a slightly different sounding saturation curve as you crank it. I do it mostly to just have spare tubes if I need them, because I seldom, if ever need 100W. Also, you must increase the amp's load as stated. 8 ohm output on amp into 16 ohm cab is what I use.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
yeah im running an 8 ohm cab so i cut it down to 4 ohms. It actually does sound different. It sounds much tighter.
Quote by csn00b
Quote by jpgilbert701
yeah im running an 8 ohm cab so i cut it down to 4 ohms. It actually does sound different. It sounds much tighter.
Good to hear. I like to run my amp at lower ohms too.
8 ohms with one cab, 4 ohms with two.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Would there be any damage if i kept it like this for a long? Like would it eventually kill my amp?
Quote by csn00b
Quote by jpgilbert701
Would there be any damage if i kept it like this for a long? Like would it eventually kill my amp?

You'll burn the tubes faster since you're only using two. But I don't think it would actually hurt the amp.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2